heading logo

Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Under Construction Please be Patient
Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Neil, I think you are doing more than many folks. I too, clean after each range session, but depending upon how many rounds, sometimes I don't even do a basic field-strip breakdown. Again, it depends on how many rounds you run in a year, but I feel a professional clean is only necessary after several thousand rounds...for a detailed clean and general wear-and-tear checkup. Of course, this also assumes the gun is running well. If you have issues or problems, then the more detailed clean and check should be done sooner. Just my opinion...
qballbandit wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:03 pm Should I be focusing on more detailed treatment with just the simple field strip, or do I leave that for the annual full strip and clean by the gunsmith?
Sounds like to me you are doing an efficient job of cleaning as it is. Unless you are shooting multi-1000's of rounds a year, the gunsmith cleaning is not required IMHO.

I would recommend learning how to remove the fire control group either as piece/parts or as a whole assembly (firearm specific) and clean it yourself. A ultrasound cleaner works well with forced air drying and re-lubing. It's simpler than you think. And it's fun to do and a source of pride.
LT,
I'm the guy you DON'T want working on your car. I have a bad habit of taking things apart and not getting them back together again...with extra parts appearing from nowhere :P
I am even afraid to swap the mag catch to the right side, since I'm a left-handed shooter. I've seen videos, people tell me it's easy, but I don't want to be without my gun(s) after I perform an all thumbs surgery. :oops:
If I had a buddy I could sit with and watch once, I'd feel more confident. My learning and retention skills are much better with in-person training.

Neil 8-)
qballbandit wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:30 pm LT,
I'm the guy you DON'T want working on your car. I have a bad habit of taking things apart and not getting them back together again...with extra parts appearing from nowhere :P
As I'd tell my GF when assembling furniture or something, I'm just more efficient then the manafactuer I dont need all these parts. :-D
qballbandit wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:30 pm My learning and retention skills are much better with in-person training.
First Apex trigger job I did on an M&P, I had my IPad next to me going one step at a time on a YouTube video<pause, play, pause, play>. Second one was a snap.
qballbandit wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:30 pm LT,
I am even afraid to swap the mag catch to the right side, since I'm a left-handed shooter. I've seen videos, people tell me it's easy, but I don't want to be without my gun(s) after I perform an all thumbs surgery. :oops:
If I had a buddy I could sit with and watch once, I'd feel more confident. My learning and retention skills are much better with in-person training.

Neil 8-)
Swapping the internals are straight forward and easy. Reversing and getting the spring clip in is the hard part. Doable but will take some time.

https://youtu.be/8Le3lkb_aEY

You guys are hilarious!

Thanks for the youtube link, runeight - I'll give it a watch.

Neil 8-)
I second what Neil said!

I have have enjoyed reading all these comments! I have laughed out loud at a lot of the posts made here, excellent work dudes!
I hide my lack of expertise and knowledge behind humor. So, there's a priest, a rabbi, and a 6 foot rabbit at a bar, along with a farmer's daughter and a traveling salesman...
I use G69 for general cleaning, but every new toy of mine gets taken apart and all metal surface get Militec treated at least 3 cycles, it penetrates into the metal, makes it butter smooth, it allows for running it dry if in sandy conditions and helps reduce holster wear!
I also use a bit of Militec grease on the moving parts!
It also makes for easy cleaning, the garf wipes right off!
Keep these suggestions coming! I am continually learning about new products and techniques to keep my pistols in excellent shape!
I just want to make clear that if you are out in a very dusty or sandy desert or have to have 100 pct reliability without having the time to clean your gun on a regular basis, then you should use grease, not Mobil1 on the slides, barrel wear points and a few other spots.

But if it stays in the safe and gets cleaned after almost every use, then just oil is simpler and quicker.

I used to use EWL gun grease, still have some, but don't use it much anymore.
I would love to tell you what works at -26F real temp and -55F Windchill, but I ain't going to find out. I'm staying inside and off the range today and tomorrow. It is silly nasty out.
Badgerboy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:08 pm I would love to tell you what works at -26F real temp and -55F Windchill, but I ain't going to find out. I'm staying inside and off the range today and tomorrow. It is silly nasty out.
Yes, you and your Star better stay in. Not to cold for you but for the gun yes.

Friend from Milwaukee sent me a text with the temp and wind chill. Very nasty indeed.

71 here today, just sayin.
runeight wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:15 pm
Yes, you and your Star better stay in. Not to cold for you but for the gun yes.

Friend from Milwaukee sent me a text with the temp and wind chill. Very nasty indeed.

71 here today, just sayin.
[/quote]

Yep, I am an hour and a half north of Milwaukee. On top of the cold and wind, we had a foot of snow yesterday that is drifting and causing more fun. Had the dog out with me today for 5 mins cleaning up the driveway. Had to carry her inside because her paws wouldn't work anymore...75lb Pitbull...and a big baby.

BTW, the Star being full steel, I'm keeping my lips off it in this weather.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]