Favorite Lubricants for Your Canik?

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
silverstateshooter
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Howdy ya'll,

I need to purchase some lubricant and wanted to get ya'lls opinions on what lubricants have been good or bad for your Caniks.
I am not well versed in this topic and any insight is much appreciated!

Also, what are the specific areas that I should lubricate? I have yet to (properly) clean my Caniks, but they only have a few hundred rounds through them. I am interested in this topic because I have recently purchased a new barrel that came bone dry.

As always, I appreciate your comments and thank you in advance!
TP9SFL, BlackArch Ace-1 Gen2 IWB Holster
TP40v2, holster coming soon
TP9SF Elite (One Series), SMC Canik Appendix Carry Holster
runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Favorite for everything, inside and out. Use nothing else.

We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

mobil 1 0w20
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

I use only Hoppes 9 cleaner and lubricant on all my handguns and some long rifles. AR's, I only use CLP. Anyway, never had an issue with Hoppes and I oil very little. Here's a video from mrgunsngear tearing down, cleaning and lubricating a Canik.

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

I've been using Hopp'es Oil for lubrication for almost 40 years and have never had a problem... However, I switched over to Birchwood Casey gun scrubber a few years back and it's 10x better than Hoppe's cleaner.... I tried CLP but whoa, what a mess...
Texas License To Carry Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories
Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

I have had good luck with Frog Lube...I know some don't like it, but if used as directed, it seems to C, L, and P very well. Also, it is non toxic to the point that you can eat it, and it smells good. I can clean guns in the living room in front of the TV without the wife frowning and wrinkling her nose at me...at least not for this reason...the frown and wrinkling are caused by many, many...many other reasons.
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?
runeight

Badgerboy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:59 pm I have had good luck with Frog Lube...I know some don't like it, but if used as directed, it seems to C, L, and P very well. Also, it is non toxic to the point that you can eat it, and it smells good. I can clean guns in the living room in front of the TV without the wife frowning and wrinkling her nose at me...at least not for this reason...the frown and wrinkling are caused by many, many...many other reasons.
Like cheese farts?
We are in a civil war..
DWARREN123

I use a mix of ATF and 0W20 motor oil. Works well in all temps plus makes clean up very easy.
Shut up and Reload!
Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

I'll second the Frog Lube. Clean up is no harder than a shop towel and a nylon brush.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

ImMobyYouDick
Founding Member #: 1337

I'm totally into cherrybalmz. The stuff is amazing as advertised and can run for literally thousands of rounds, then just wipe clean.
tbruns

I use rubbing alcohol and Ballistol after watching this hickok45 video and a few others. Seems to work quite good for me and I like that it’s not greasy and wipes clean. Maybe there is better...have not done comparisons. What sold me was hickok saying that the more you use Ballistol, the more of a permanent protective coating it leaves in the metal.

https://youtu.be/DZf4mUM10Vc
runeight

tbruns wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:07 am I use rubbing alcohol and Ballistol after watching this hickok45 video and a few others. Seems to work quite good for me and I like that it’s not greasy and wipes clean. Maybe there is better...have not done comparisons. What sold me was hickok saying that the more you use Ballistol, the more of a permanent protective coating it leaves in the metal.

https://youtu.be/DZf4mUM10Vc
Yes. Same with Seal1.
We are in a civil war..
oldfrank

I use Ballistol for most oil related things such as wiping down after cleaning. I have been using Lucas Gun Oil for slide and barrel lubrication for the last year or so and am pretty well pleased with it's performance.

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door- ... ty-gun-oil
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Cleaning: Slip 2000 725 cleaner

Lube: Mobil1 5w30

Except:
- I carry a small aerosol of Ballistol if there is a need for lube at the range since it is so small.
- For my target rifles (obviously not Canik), I clean the bore with the Kroil/JB cleaning compound procedure:
1. Run a patch saturated with Kroil through the bore.
2. Impregnate a patch with JB bore paste and short stroke the length of the barrel.
3. Run a couple of individual patches saturated with Kroil through the bore.
4. Dry the bore with one to two patches.
silverstateshooter
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'll have to go shop around. Maybe buy a couple different kinds. Seems like most everyone has a similar preference. The Frog Lube is attractive to me because I have small children and the wife get in my ass about having strong chemicals out in the house. It's pretty chilly here in N. NV as well, which makes spending time in the garage a little less enjoyable in the winter months.

Thank you again for all your advice! I'm gonna snag me a couple different kinds and try them out!
TP9SFL, BlackArch Ace-1 Gen2 IWB Holster
TP40v2, holster coming soon
TP9SF Elite (One Series), SMC Canik Appendix Carry Holster
Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Tell the small children that Frog Lube is made from actual frogs...and if they don't behave, the company has another product called Snotty Brat Lube, and they are always looking for base stock.
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?
runeight

Badgerboy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:06 pm Tell the small children that Frog Lube is made from actual frogs...and if they don't behave, the company has another product called Snotty Brat Lube, and they are always looking for base stock.
Or serve this.

We are in a civil war..
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

There was a thread on the old blog about this. It got very long and involved real frogs and things that shall not be named here...

I'm using a MMO & synthetic motor oil blend. A couple of different CLPs (still trying to see that I really like) and TONS of q-tips.

And yes, I MUST clean after every range visit. I must....
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

If I may ask this -
I'm one who is only comfortable in breaking down the gun for the basic cleaning after a range session. Slide, spring/guide rod, barrel, frame.
I have always used Hoppes 9 to clean the barrel with the brushes, then spray in Ballistol to swab it out thoroughly with patches. Being that Ballistol is one of the "do-all" products, per-say, I've used it to clean what I can reach with patches, loose and tight napped Q-tip types sticks, and various sized patches. I then wipe clean the excess, but re-apply on the rails and slide. Finally, I wipe down the guns when re-assembled with a polishing cloth after a light coat of Ballistol was applied.
Should I be focusing on more detailed treatment with just the simple field strip, or do I leave that for the annual full strip and clean by the gunsmith?

Thanks much for any insight,

Neil b-)
"I fear not the man who's practiced one thousand kicks once, I fear the man who's practiced one kick a thousand times" Bruce Lee
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO/PPITH/PPOTH