2019 and Canik - What's Your Thoughts?

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

So, what do ya'll think is going to be released in 2019? The Elite Combat is a 2019 model so that's already on the market, and I'm not sure how they are going to top it. Anyone have any guesses as to what will be released next? I'm not holding my breath for a sub-compact, as I know there are import restrictions on the size of gun they can import. My guess is an updated version of the SF with an RMR cut. As much as I'd like to see a V2/DA style gun in a compact and 4.5" version, I know that won't happen either. So my guess is an update to the SF with an RMR cut, and possibly they import the Elite-S Combat, and potentially (but not likely) the METE. Another guess is an update to the SFx with a flared magwell and flat faced trigger. Potentially, the flat faced trigger on the EC could be standard going forward. But honestly, I just don't see them releasing any new models without RMR cuts.

So, what's everyone's take on it? What are your thoughts for 2019?
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

I can personally see making them more profitable with the purchase of a Elite Combat or an SFT.

"Money, pardon the expression, is like manure. It's not worth a thing unless it's spread around, encouraging young things to grow."
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Another caliper perhaps?
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.
Janik
Staff Member

runeight wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:22 am Another caliper perhaps?
I highly doubt it. They only imported 500 of the TP40 V2's, and it took for ever for those to sell. In fact, some are still for sale brand new. I suspect they are going to stick wit the 9mm platform given it's popularity. As much as I'd love an SF, SA, DA or Elite in 45cal, I doubt it will ever come to market. As much as it pains me to say it, they are best off sticking to 9mm from a marketing standpoint in my opinion.
runeight

Thought maybe a 45 but gee, guess I’ll have to live with my CZ97 instead. :lol:

We are in a civil war..
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Dream world vs. reality I guess, for me.
My dream would be to have the DA with front slide serrations, ambi-slide release (I shoot lefty), and the loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide. These three items would make it the absolute perfect 9mm handgun for me.
Reality would be to throw their hat into the compact market, even if only in 9mm. I can't see how this wouldn't be anything but a big win.

The slim chance at no 40 or 45 cal entries in 2019 is a shame. Do you think as reputation, after market products and support, and consumer growth continues to gain ground, this could materialize down the road?

In 2019, do you believe Canik firearm ownership will still be considered a "niche" community?

Neil
"I fear not the man who's practiced one thousand kicks once, I fear the man who's practiced one kick a thousand times" Bruce Lee
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO/PPITH/PPOTH
Janik
Staff Member

qballbandit wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:28 am Dream world vs. reality I guess, for me.
My dream would be to have the DA with front slide serrations, ambi-slide release (I shoot lefty), and the loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide. These three items would make it the absolute perfect 9mm handgun for me.
Reality would be to throw their hat into the compact market, even if only in 9mm. I can't see how this wouldn't be anything but a big win.

The slim chance at no 40 or 45 cal entries in 2019 is a shame. Do you think as reputation, after market products and support, and consumer growth continues to gain ground, this could materialize down the road?

In 2019, do you believe Canik firearm ownership will still be considered a "niche" community?

Neil
I like your thoughts on the DA, as I'm a lefty too. Actually for me, if they just make the Elite a DA/SA, that would be perfect for me. As for other calibers, I just don't think they will do it, or, import it. I think Century Arms and other companies have strict limitations on imports, so they probably will focus their efforts on the most popular caliber. That's just a guess on my part though.

As for Canik being a niche' market, I think ownership is really growing, and their popularity is on the rise. I doubt they will ever meet or exceed any established company like Glock, S&W, Ruger, etc., but they very well could give them a run for their money. Probably the best thing Canik/Century could do would be to build a mfg plant here in the U.S., so they aren't limited by import restrictions. Then, they could also produce compacts and sub-compacts as well.

Over the last couple years Canik has really grown here in the U.S., and I think 2019 will bring even more new products and updates to current models.
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

METE would be nice. .45 or 10mm would be great wouldn't even really care on the frame size. 9mm subcompact thats 8+1 or 10+1.
runeight

OK, OK, I’ll guess again.

Black Elite. :-?
We are in a civil war..
Janik
Staff Member

runeight wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:50 pm OK, OK, I’ll guess again.

Black Elite. :-?
Easy enough. I just put a black Elite S on layaway. Only model other than the SFT I haven't owned yet. Not sure I need the slide lock, but what the heck. My Elites have been rock solid, might as well get another one.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

After my experience so far with the Tisas, I would love to see Canik produce a 1911 with a rail using their design, manufacturing and QA standards. They could compete with Rock Island and would probably dominate the under $500 1911 market.

I still think that the Elite Combat at $550 street would drive sales higher.

And still looking for the Elite-S Combat-lite, maybe without the Salient bits but retaining the RMR cut for $450. Not looking for a carry optics competition pistol, but the Elite-S with just the RMR cut.
Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

I'll second a Canik 1911 with a rail and lefty safety. Also the DA Elite.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

A sub-compact to go after the SIG 365 with 10+1 capacity would be sweet.
They need to design future "Optic Cut" so the slide can accept a rear sight, and NOT a "specific optic" cut.

This is what I WANT... ^:)^

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

You live in Mass. You cannot have what you want. Don't be silly. And your traffic sucks (I was there in mid Dec and drove Route 2 at rush hour. I wanted to kill myself). :-L
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?
Janik
Staff Member

GlennSFX wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:40 pm They need to design future "Optic Cut" so the slide can accept a rear sight, and NOT a "specific optic" cut.
Heck, I just wish they would start designing more RMR's with the rear iron built in like the SHIELD. I think I'd prefer that over having to get suppressor height sights. I like the concept of the SHIELD, but the reviews aren't so favorable.
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

GlennSFX wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:40 pm They need to design future "Optic Cut" so the slide can accept a rear sight, and NOT a "specific optic" cut.
Yup!
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
runeight

Badgerboy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:03 pm You live in Mass. You cannot have what you want. Don't be silly. And your traffic sucks (I was there in mid Dec and drove Route 2 at rush hour. I wanted to kill myself). :-L
This is why you can’t have a gun in Mass. The liberals are doing you a favor and saving lives.
We are in a civil war..
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Badgerboy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:03 pm You live in Mass. You cannot have what you want. Don't be silly. And your traffic sucks (I was there in mid Dec and drove Route 2 at rush hour. I wanted to kill myself). :-L
:-O ...Damn, all I was asking for was a rear sight dovetail cut! :lol:
Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

GlennSFX wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:25 am :-O ...Damn, all I was asking for was a rear sight dovetail cut! :lol:
Sorry. I promise not to charge for the extra and unsolicited opinions, no matter how spot-on and important they are! :-BD
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Badgerboy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:48 pm
GlennSFX wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:25 am :-O ...Damn, all I was asking for was a rear sight dovetail cut! :lol:
Sorry. I promise not to charge for the extra and unsolicited opinions, no matter how spot-on and important they are! :-BD
No need to apologize...you can charge whatever you like. Some opinions are just FACT! It's well known and documented that MA and the Libtards SUCK, despite being the birthplace of American independence!