Canik customer service

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
CanikClontz

Canik customer service

Post by CanikClontz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:43 pm

So i contacted Canik support before i found this group and read all the forums. I message canik telling them that i was have stove pipes, fte and Double feeds almost every other shot at the range. I was shooting 115 gr which I know now is a no no in new caniks. This is the response I got from them.

It might be me that's not the response i was expecting, but i have never owned a pistol that wouldn't consistently fire 115 gr ammo other than my Canik.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: Canik customer service

Post by Janik » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:55 pm

The Caniks are designed for NATO, and made to take abuse. the RSA is very stiff in Caniks due to that fact. That being said, I usually run a couple boxes of NATO in every new Canik to loosen up the RSA. After that, I feed it cheap and often weak ammo, and never have a problem with 115gr. I like the fact that Caniks are made to take the punishment. But, for the life of me, given that most of us here in the U.S. tend to shoot 115gr and non-NATO ammo, why they just don't import them with the reduced power RSA. But like I said, after a couple boxes of NATO, or something comparable, I never have a problem with 115gr ammo. I generally buy cases of the weaker WWB or Remington UMC when I find a good deal. Both are 115gr and all my Caniks have no issues with it.
1 x

CanikClontz

Post by CanikClontz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Janik wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:55 pm
The Caniks are designed for NATO, and made to take abuse. the RSA is very stiff in Caniks due to that fact. That being said, I usually run a couple boxes of NATO in every new Canik to loosen up the RSA. After that, I feed it cheap and often weak ammo, and never have a problem with 115gr. I like the fact that Caniks are made to take the punishment. But, for the life of me, given that most of us here in the U.S. tend to shoot 115gr and non-NATO ammo, why they just don't import them with the reduced power RSA. But like I said, after a couple boxes of NATO, or something comparable, I never have a problem with 115gr ammo. I generally buy cases of the weaker WWB or Remington UMC when I find a good deal. Both are 115gr and all my Caniks have no issues with it.
I Don't know why they don't either. Every problem that i have read on here is with 115 gr ammo. Just sell it with both or send the weaker one when someone registers the warranty or something like that.
0 x

skborders
Founding Member #: 156

Post by skborders » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:38 pm

The general recommendation is run 124 gr NATO ammo for the first few hundred rounds. I ran probably 500 rounds through mine before I started running lighter ammo and have never had a problem.
0 x

LucaBrasi

Post by LucaBrasi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm

It is not unheard of for a pistol to require a bit of break in. Kahrs are notorious for needing a 100-200 round break-in, I've heard the same advice with regards to some new Berettas and CZs as well. That beefy recoil spring is an indicator that the Canik is perhaps a bit overbuilt for typical 115 grain range ammo. I see that as a good thing. And it doesn't mean it won't work fine with cheap range ammo once it's broken in.

I'm now at about 600 rounds through my TP9DA. I cleaned and lubed before use, and left it with the slide locked back for a day. The first 100 rounds were 124 grain NATO, then about 40 rounds of >124 grain hollow points. The balance of +400 rounds has been cheap 115 grain WWB, Remington, etc. all with zero malfunctions.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:36 am

If you ask, Century Arms will send you the lighter RSA. The break-in period is well documents in the threads of this forum.

Keep at and shortly, you will be in love with it.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Robert Pitman from Century Arms sent me one when I asked about it (not knowing of the thirst for NATO when I first got my Elite, and having some slide issues), and I had it in three days after our conversation.
It's interesting to hear some of the mixed reviews on the Customer Service from Century, as I've had nothing but quick, courteous, and friendly responses in my few experiences.

Good luck to you.

Neil 8-)
2 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

RAP

Post by RAP » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:49 pm

I have a TP9SFx that came from the factory with the throat cut at an angle and when I would shoot my coated bullets it would lead up so bad it would take an hour to clean it out. I'm not kidding or exaggerating about the time it took to clean. I sent pictures to Canik explaining what the problem my gunsmith said it had and Robert Pittman put in an order for a new barrel right away. Now, it did take about 2 months to get the barrel in for the TP9SFx. This is something I don't blame Century Arms for. They have to wait for the factory to make the barrel and ship it. I received the barrel yesterday took it out to sight in my gun with the newly repaired Delta Point Pro dot. I had a USPSA match today. Wow this gun is really accurate with my coated bullets! I couldn't be happier with it. I was able to put 3 shots in the head of a USPSA target at 25 yards off hand with ease. So far my experience with Canik customer service is very positive.
2 x

CanikClontz

Post by CanikClontz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:21 pm

I had a problem the hornandy self defense rounds with the rubber insert in an xds, i couldn't ever get a round to feed because it would stop on the ramp. I have no problem with the 124 gr in my Canik but it just won't shoot the lighter rounds. I don't want the lighter spring so ill just have to shooter the hotter rounds until it breaks in.
RAP wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:49 pm
I have a TP9SFx that came from the factory with the throat cut at an angle and when I would shoot my coated bullets it would lead up so bad it would take an hour to clean it out. I'm not kidding or exaggerating about the time it took to clean. I sent pictures to Canik explaining what the problem my gunsmith said it had and Robert Pittman put in an order for a new barrel right away. Now, it did take about 2 months to get the barrel in for the TP9SFx. This is something I don't blame Century Arms for. They have to wait for the factory to make the barrel and ship it. I received the barrel yesterday took it out to sight in my gun with the newly repaired Delta Point Pro dot. I had a USPSA match today. Wow this gun is really accurate with my coated bullets! I couldn't be happier with it. I was able to put 3 shots in the head of a USPSA target at 25 yards off hand with ease. So far my experience with Canik customer service is very positive.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:32 pm

CanikClontz wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:21 pm
I don't want the lighter spring so ill just have to shooter the hotter rounds until it breaks in.
Like you, I prefer the stock RSA so I didn't put the lighter RSA in when I got my SFx. I had some feeding issues and the NATO ammo cleared that right up. Pick up a couple boxes and give it a try. I bet you won't have any issues with 115gr after that. As for the RSA though, I shoot cheaper ammo whenever possible. But I did get a couple cases of NATO from PSA when they were selling for $8.99 a box and free shipping. So, I do shoot hotter ammo often as well. I also put a 24lb steel guide rod from Galloway in one of my V2's, and I've no issue at all shooting 115gr. But yah, give a couple boxes of NATO a try. I think it will loosen up the RSA for you. I've also heard of people leaving the slide locked back. I'm not sure if that really does anything though. I would think it would be the action of the slide moving back and forward that would loosen it up. But I could be wrong. I know they say leaving springs compressed in magazines wont affect them, and that it's the loading and unloading that weakens them. But I suppose it could be different for an RSA.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Janik, I keep wanting to put my original RSA back in my Elite, but never do. I'm curious to see if I feel the difference at this point. I mostly shoot 124gr, and occasional 147gr. of "quality" ammo. Should it shoot any straighter, in theory, with the original?

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"