Body Armor

Discussion Section for All Off Topics Subjects.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Body Armor

Post by Janik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:09 am

So, I personally do not own any body armor, and haven't worn it since my Army days. But with all the B.S. going on right now, I've started looking at chest rigs and plates. Anyone have any experience with the civilian market regarding body armor? Any recommendations as to a decent company to purchase from? I'm not sure I'm going to buy any, just getting a ballpark idea right now. One company I looked at said 10 to 12 week turnaround time. Not sure if that's due to the panic buying, or if it's a normal turn around time.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Re: Body Armor

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 am

I know a couple people who seem pleased with purchases from ar500armor. I dont have any plate carriers at the moment, have a level IIIa vest from when I use to work security sometimes but its past its expiration date.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 am
I know a couple people who seem pleased with purchases from ar500armor. I dont have any plate carriers at the moment, have a level IIIa vest from when I use to work security sometimes but its past its expiration date.
Other options besides carrier plates would be good too. I used to have a Level III issued to me by the police dept. But that was many years ago when I was a reserve officer. I've considered that route too. But it looks like all the range today is a molle carrier with plates.
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 002

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:49 am

Same here just another thing to add to the sooner than later column
0 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:02 am

Hi @Janik Composite Armor is my professional. I am more focus NATO spec armored vehicles but in pass i produce a lot body armor.

Couple of important tips.

USA most people carry .45 caliber pistol. Be sure you are purchasing NIJ IIIA level + Truama kit. Regular body armor may easly stop the bullet but your bone will broke anyway cause of bullet pressure.

If you will find Body armor inculuded Anti Stab it will be best. In Urban knife also risk like pistol.

Prefered raw material made by Dyneema or similar UHWMPE raw material. Kevlar out of fashion. Heavy and limited exp. Time.

Please be sure NIJ IIIA level shape inculuded kidney protection. Stand alone is useless.

If you are looking for long rifle protection also. NIJ III level will be enougp. In Urban no one shoot each other with AP bullet. Only SWAT use that.

If they have NIJ IIIA level full test certificate from HP White or OBL Labs that will be great

Ask me free what ever you need it.
3 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 am

zeda3000 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:02 am
Hi @Janik Composite Armor is my professional. I am more focus NATO spec armored vehicles but in pass i produce a lot body armor.

Couple of important tips.

USA most people carry .45 caliber pistol. Be sure you are purchasing NIJ IIIA level + Truama kit. Regular body armor may easly stop the bullet but your bone will broke anyway cause of bullet pressure.

If you will find Body armor inculuded Anti Stab it will be best. In Urban knife also risk like pistol.

Prefered raw material made by Dyneema or similar UHWMPE raw material. Kevlar out of fashion. Heavy and limited exp. Time.

Please be sure NIJ IIIA level shape inculuded kidney protection. Stand alone is useless.

If you are looking for long rifle protection also. NIJ III level will be enougp. In Urban no one shoot each other with AP bullet. Only SWAT use that.

If they have NIJ IIIA level full test certificate from HP White or OBL Labs that will be great

Ask me free what ever you need it.
Thank you for the excellent info. I will definitely take this into consideration as I do some research.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:14 am

Janik wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 am
TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 am
Other options besides carrier plates would be good too. I used to have a Level III issued to me by the police dept. But that was many years ago when I was a reserve officer. I've considered that route too. But it looks like all the range today is a molle carrier with plates.
Molle seems best option most people probably already have a few molle pouches. The actual tac vest stuff with plate options are usually pretty price unless you come across a surplus deal. If you already have nice chest rig setup and its adjustable might be able to fit it over a molle carrier too. I bought a surplus russian setup thats pretty loose probably be just right with a carrier under it plus 2 layers of steel ak mags are like another layer protection. :)
1 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Although I wouldn't carry it every day, a backpack equipped with a simple LIII plate to use as a shield might be an idea to keep in the car.

Besides watching videos, I have shot cars on ranges and can attest (as I am sure zeda can confirm) that car steel is so thin as to be useless.

BTW, just like when they use the 555-xxxx phone number in a movie instantly takes you out of the movie and you realize that it is fiction, watching the bad guys pull up to within 10 yards on the good guys 7 o'clock and pour automatic fire into the car and the good guys duck and swerve to get away makes me want to laugh out loud. IRL, everyone in that car is dead. But they use the same movie meme in almost every action flick now.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 pm

I’m most likely ordering this next week.

https://botach.com/battle-steel-level-i ... 12-plates/

The virus has slowed my time line a bit, but I wanted something lite to wear when taking first timers to the range. Search YouTube and it has really good ratings.
2 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:46 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 pm

The virus has slowed my time line a bit, but I wanted something lite to wear when taking first timers to the range. Search YouTube and it has really good ratings.
Very cool. It's not molle, but the price is very decent. I've got it bookmarked and might order it as well. I really don't need a chest rig, but if I do, I'm sure I could fit one over this.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 pm

I'm a little confused exactly what you get there, it shows 2 vest, backpack, and another bag, its just the plates im assuming?
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:06 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:54 pm
its just the plates im assuming?
The listing says it's a package. I assumed it was everything in the picture.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:06 pm

My understanding from the original article that was on ammoland was that is was the complete package, vest, plate and carry bag. I’ll try to call tomorrow and find out.
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Ok I've only ordered from botach a couple times with out issue but I know on some other forums people have said they can be shady. Great price if it includes everything.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:06 pm
I’ll try to call tomorrow and find out.
Definitely let me know. That's a heck of a deal if it's the complete package.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Janik wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm
Tejas Products wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:06 pm
I’ll try to call tomorrow and find out.
Definitely let me know. That's a heck of a deal if it's the complete package.
I’ll post as soon as I can. I had a question about sizing anyway.
1 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Ok no need it worry. I did produce my self at home many times bullet proof vest. This is very easy to produce soft ballistic vest your self even.

Please consider , steel ballistic vest not recomended for Pistols . Main reason is bullet getting million parts and all fragments may hit your legs , hand and face.

This link will show you what happening during bullet hit the steel. Steel has more truavma than soft ballistic. Yep sound weird right? Cause steel doesnt absorb the energy actually. It just break the bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezq1kiz9dQU

Cars has 0.8mm Galvanized steel today. Only enginne may stop bullet. If you are luck ,bullet may hit the crash bar and this could be 1 of billion maybe.

You cant wear bullet proof vest just minute you realise you are in middle of gun fight. It must be stay on you. If you drive car best is wear bullet proof vest before it. But if you thinking for home protection. I will recomended ballistic shield is More effective.

I didint like the Botach shape. It is stand alone , You may use in carrier vest but this is still stand alone for me. Be simple , dont buy fancy super hero staff. No pouch no clips no nothing. After 2 hour your body will burn with bulletproof vest. As i told you there is no trick in soft ballistic. Even Chines is produce really good. Pay for largest protection area. Dont waste your money for fancy tactical staff. Clips , Pouch or zips. doesnt stop bullet.

You need it something like that. I dont know about USA civilian market. But please consider. Dont bolt the your vest. Enemy isnt stuppied. If they will see your vest , they will shot you from head.

1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:29 pm

I've tried about half dozen times to call today... After holding it goes to voice mail... I sent an email asking... If I get anything back I'll let you know.
1 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:21 am

I've been looking at something like this as far as a carrier.
https://www.ar500armor.com/veritas-lite-bundle.html

I like the idea of rifle rated plates, but IIIA/stab inserts are likely the way to go
1 x

jgillaspy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by jgillaspy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:28 pm

So, I've been contemplating buying a level 4 setup for quite a while. Rather expensive and bulky. I was looking at the Botach stuff and a less expensive carrier. The package wound up being just short of $500.00. Then I started thinking, "Why spend that much money for something I'll likely put in a closet or trunk and never use?" Then I thought it would be better to spend less, get the 3A concealable armor and actually wear it. Still thinking... I do already have a concealable Level 2 setup already.

JG
0 x