Disaster/Pandemic Preparedness

Discussion Section for All Off Topics Subjects.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Disaster/Pandemic Preparedness

Post by Janik » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:13 am

As you can see, we just added a new section for Disaster/SHTF Preparedness. I think recent events have proven to us all that chaos and hysteria can strike in a very short time. Thankfully that hasn't occurred, but the potential is there.

Years ago I used to frequent the prepper/bushcraft forums. I even bought into some of the hype that occurs there. We even stocked a 2 to 3 month food supply and water. I'm not a "doomsday prepper", but wanted to be prepared for events such as this. Well, when we moved a couple years ago we gave all our stored food away to the kids because we didn't want to move it. And hey, after years of storing, and never needing, I became complacent. Well recent events have proven to me that it's a good idea to be prepared for natural disasters and situations such as this. Thankfully we are no where near a true SHTF event, and I doubt we will be. But, I do believe the stage is set. After people sow the panic buying reaction from their fellow citizens, the potential is there that in the next whisper of a pandemic or disaster, more people may run out and empty the shelves even faster for fear of being left without.

Again, I'm not a live underground "doomsday prepper", but I do think I'm going to focus again on a couple months supply of food once this blows over. Along with that comes other aspects of being prepared, such as water filtration, medical supplies, etc. Maybe put together a GHB (get home bag) to leave in the car with necessary items. I think since most of us here are "like minded", and we have a great group of people, this section could prove beneficial for common sense preparedness. Zombies, Aliens and all that other crap is never going to happen. But I think current events have shown us just how fragile daily living can become in the event of a national or global situation.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: Disaster/Pandemic Preparedness

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:43 am

Two 60-gallon water bladders, fully stocked med kit in a pelican case, water filtration items (and a 75-gallon per day RO unit under sink), 5-gallon bucket with toilet 🚽 seat with 2000 plastic bags and TP, various food sources and a wide who is a great magazine reloader.

Oh, and 15,000 gallons of flushing water in the cement pond.
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:25 am

Between box'd and canned food I always have atleast 6 week or so supply, have a chest freezer thats always got some meat in it(quite a bit of pork and some venison left), generator and 250g propane tank, try to keep atleast 2 cases of water on hand, RODI system, life straws, full milsurp surgical kit and couple other first aid kits, basic meds and antibiotics. Of course always have decent ammount of ammo on hand.

Prior to corona my main concern was being ready to be trapped home due to flooding for a few days living in the Houston area a good rain storm can mess shit up unexpectedly quick but I'm on high ground so no worry of home being flooded.
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 am

Over the last few years, my wife and I have been discussing finding about 10 acres or so and try to get as off grid as possible... Unfortunately due to our age, etc. it's just impossible right now... But the meat of that conversation really has revolved around self reliance and what ifs.. We're well enough stocked right now with the basics but still probably woefully unprepared for anything over 2 months or so... We have talked about a 1 year food supply, things like that but really haven't done much... I think she is much more open now to stocking up on supplies... Not just food, but beefier medical supplies, water purification, cooking fuel, etc....
2 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:54 am

The food supply is always a balancing act as to what, and how much to have readily available!!!! :lol:
Just trying to keep things on the lighter side...no pun intended!

6 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:37 am

Tejas Products wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 am
I think she is much more open now to stocking up on supplies... Not just food, but beefier medical supplies, water purification, cooking fuel, etc....
I think my wife has recently seen the light too. Our first goal is two months worth, and then go from there.
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:40 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:54 am
The food supply is always a balancing act as to what, and how much to have readily available!!!! :lol:

That's so funny that you posted that... My wife's been working from home for a week now and she has already started complaining that she is snacking way more than she would be at the office... That kitchen is way to close and convenient
2 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:40 am
GlennSFX wrote:

That's so funny that you posted that... My wife's been working from home for a week now and she has already started complaining that she is snacking way more than she would be at the office... That kitchen is way to close and convenient
You need to hang that picture on the fridge door!!!!! =)) =))
I have a funny feeling "Gym Memberships" might sky rocket once this is over! :lol:
3 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:40 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:04 pm
Tejas Products wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:40 am
GlennSFX wrote:

You need to hang that picture on the fridge door!!!!! =)) =))
I have a funny feeling "Gym Memberships" might sky rocket once this is over! :lol:
GYM and OBGYN. Gonna be a lot of new babies in about 9 months. The Covid generation
2 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:18 pm

AOC has come up with a prevention for COVID-19

4 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:25 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
You could take this and reverse it from a guy's perspective. Call it isolation beer goggles :D
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:54 pm

higgybaby wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:18 pm
AOC has come up with a prevention for COVID-19

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...that "mouth" reminds me of a "Blow-up Doll"!!!!! =))
However I think the DOLL would have a higher IQ!!! :))
2 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:54 pm
However I think the DOLL would have a higher IQ!!!
Ain't that the truth. She's such a moron, and so are all the jackasses who voted for her.
3 x

gunn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by gunn » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 pm

Back on subject, I don't feel I am a doomsday prepper. But, I am prepared. I have a years supply of food for me and mine. Several hundred gallons of water plus purifying system. And of course firearms and bullets. I am retiring in a few weeks and have bought in a development where the smallest piece of land is a half acre. But most of all it is like minded people and a built in " Mutually Assistance Group".
3 x
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
45 ACP, Because short fat and slow will get the job done.

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:22 am

gunn wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 pm
I am retiring in a few weeks
Congrats!
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!