Changes to the forum???

Canik Fanatik Forum Information and Announcements.
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 002

I want this thread to be open for everyone to use to make suggestions for things they would like to maybe see added to the forum, things youd like to see changed etc.... We look forward to many more years of keeping all the Fanatiks together on the forum and trying to make it the best experience possible to continue growing. Please leave your thoughts below and all will be considered.
I'm on Instagram as @wildland_outdoors.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Near term - stickies so that new Canik users can find their usual newbie questions answered in an easily found section of each main category.

Long term - a wiki with essentially the same info but in a true searchable wiki. I think that most forum SW also has this feature and us users would have to provide the content. Over time it should become fairly comprehensive.
Last edited by ncjw on Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Hoping to start using the knowledge base to resolve both of these. Will have to see how the searchable part works.
marvin02
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I just visited the knowledge base page and there is no search box on it. You can choose a category from a drop down box to narrow the article list that is presented.

Going to the advanced search page there is no way to select the knowledge base at the search target.

Would you be better off not using that feature of phpBB and just setting up a sub-forum for use as a "knowledge base". One article per thread, with the thread locked? That would make it show up on forum searches and take advantage of the forum search engine.

Is there an addon for phpBB that makes the knowledge base feature searchable?
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

marvin02 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 pm Would you be better off not using that feature of phpBB and just setting up a sub-forum for use as a "knowledge base". One article per thread, with the thread locked? That would make it show up on forum searches and take advantage of the forum search engine.
Might be a good idea. I've tried starting threads that were specific, such as holsters, red dot etc. and have people contribute, but they gained very little traction. But we could possibly move all "important" threads to a knowledge base sub forum.
Dmatzinger

I think meet ups
Regional based would be fun
I am in the north west and would host at my local gun club
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

marvin02 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 pm I just visited the knowledge base page and there is no search box on it. You can choose a category from a drop down box to narrow the article list that is presented.

Going to the advanced search page there is no way to select the knowledge base at the search target.

Would you be better off not using that feature of phpBB and just setting up a sub-forum for use as a "knowledge base". One article per thread, with the thread locked? That would make it show up on forum searches and take advantage of the forum search engine.

Is there an addon for phpBB that makes the knowledge base feature searchable?
Let me look into this. This might be a solid option if the knowledge base is not searchable.

As for meet ups we agree we should try to get the Fanatiks together. Definately soemthing tovbe looked at.
marvin02
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Janik wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:31 pm
marvin02 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 pm Would you be better off not using that feature of phpBB and just setting up a sub-forum for use as a "knowledge base". One article per thread, with the thread locked? That would make it show up on forum searches and take advantage of the forum search engine.
Might be a good idea. I've tried starting threads that were specific, such as holsters, red dot etc. and have people contribute, but they gained very little traction. But we could possibly move all "important" threads to a knowledge base sub forum.
I have seen other forums have the knowledge article locked with only certain people having the credentials to alter it. You can then set up a parallel thread for discussion of the article. Suggestions from THAT thread could be incorporated into the main article. You keep the article cleaner that way.

Your thread on the various Canik Models and Weapon's contributions on Canik mods are prime targets for putting into that kind of format.

I used to see this at XDA where the developers had an announcement thread for their software (apps or mods to the Android OS) and then a discussion thread. It kept the release threads clean.
marvin02
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I would like to see one overpriced (or a set your own price) item in the CanikFanatik swag store for those who want to contribute to support the forum. You could see if your check out software will let you add an extra line for a 'tip' like they do in restaurants.
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

marvin02 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:47 pm I would like to see one overpriced (or a set your own price) item in the CanikFanatik swag store for those who want to contribute to support the forum. You could see if your check out software will let you add an extra line for a 'tip' like they do in restaurants.
We are working that out already
Mikebaker1129
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I would be open for a meet up in the Houston area, I believe we have a few members in the area.
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Ill see if i can set up a meet and greet section
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

A meet and greet section or even just regional sections where people could post info on local matches, dealer events and other stuff as well.
Lthrnck1775

colonel00 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:27 am A meet and greet section or even just regional sections where people could post info on local matches, dealer events and other stuff as well.
^^THIS^^ Regional Sections!!