NEW TO CANIK-HELLO EVERYONE

New Members, take a moment and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about you and your interest in the Canik brand of firearms.
OFFICERSMODEL38

NEW TO CANIK-HELLO EVERYONE

Post by OFFICERSMODEL38 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:09 am

Hello everyone. I am new to Canik and this forum. I hope to meet some nice people and learn. I work in the firearms industry as a gunsmith/designer. I have had design input on a couple of projects with major brands. I am a Mechanical Engineer with a focus on "leverage mechanisms". I have worked as a custom gunsmith for 30+ years. I own my business and I have been blessed with a country-wide customer base. I specialize in action/trigger tuning on Colt and Smith & Wesson double-action revolvers, repair and rebuilding of Colt double-action revolvers, 1911 performance tuning (I tune only 1 brand and 1 model within that brand), and lastly precision rimfire rifles. This is the only job I have due to it consuming 50+ hours of my week. In the firearms business, I am a SMALL player. I am NOT on here go generate business. I will not reveal who I am. Consider me the "Unknown Gunsmith". I'm here to make friends, learn, and share.

My Canik venture started a few weeks ago. I already own multiple 1911 target pistols (most of which I have built), a Glock 17L, and a polymer frame Walther Q5 Match. I greatly prefer the Walther over the Glock. Out of curiosity because 1) The Caniks have sure impressed me when I handle them and 2) I kept reading positive feedback regarding them. The feedback and the asking price were out of proportion! I bought a Canik TP9SFX. I have run approximately 1500 rounds through it so far. I have not had a single malfunction. It feels very good in the hand (not quite as good as the Walther, but much better than the Glock), it has superb balance and ergonomics, after lots of testing it's accuracy is at LEAST as good as the Walther or the Glock, and the trigger is MILES better than the Glock and even a little better than the Walther. This is amazing stuff. To say I'm impressed would be a gross understatement. In keeping with the big bang for the buck nature of the Canik I installed an ADE 003-012 red dot on the pistol after about 200 rounds. It has treated me well so far. I have a 3" steel target at 25 yds that I shoot the crap out of with this pistol.

It's very easy to shoot this pistol well. It's my favorite polymer striker pistol I have ever owned. Taking into account that Canik is actually an Aerospace company that added pistols to their resume, I would guess the raw materials used are excellent. If this pistol cost 2x more and had "Germany" on the side, it would be a dream gun for many consumers, competitors, and reviewers alike. It does have the best stock trigger I have ever felt on a striker fired pistol. I love my Canik./b]
4 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: NEW TO CANIK-HELLO EVERYONE

Post by Jester560 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:59 am

Welcome to CF and congrats on the SFx.
1 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

Ben W.

Post by Ben W. » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 am

Welcome, and glad you're enjoying your TP9SFx.
1 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Welcome. It sounds like you will be a great addition to the forum. I'm sure your expertise and opinions will be valued by the members.
1 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:12 pm

Welcome aboard the forum.

Making changes and improvements to the SFx is part of the fun but, I don't need to tell you that.

Do you shoot competition?
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

OFFICERSMODEL38

Post by OFFICERSMODEL38 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:02 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:12 pm

Making changes and improvements to the SFx is part of the fun but, I don't need to tell you that.

Do you shoot competition?
I don't compete in practical shooting events. I do it on my own time for enjoyment. I do compete in 25M ISSF Centerfire Precision Pistol. The gun can be a revolver or pistol, from 30 - 38 caliber NON magnum. Slow fire six targets, 5 shots each. You get 1 minute for each shot. Rapid fire is six targets, 5 shots each and you get 3 seconds for each shot. The majority of handguns used are purpose built by companies like Hammerli, Pardini, Benelli, Sig P210. The most popular pistol caliber is 32 S&W followed by the 9mm. In revolvers, the most popular cartridge is 32 S&W followed by 38 Special full wadcutter. Iron sights only. There are other rules, but ISSF is an Olympic event. I offer a highly tuned 9mm 1911 that is highly competitive with any of these pistols for far less money. Using one of my 1911s, last year I participated in 5 tournaments within the central US. I took three 3rd places, one 2nd place, and one 1st place. I was pretty happy about that. This year I only participated in one tournament and got 2nd place. My eyes are starting to fail me.

For me, I enjoy using a quality polymer striker fired pistol for plinking at the range. Granted, it's VERY fast-paced plinking! I am in my 50s, and I spent a good many years busting up my body doing dumb stuff. I don't have the athleticism to compete in practical shooting. I AM able to knock the heck out of steel targets very quickly though. Every polymer pistol I've had does get a workout in regards to how it works when firing to hit steel plates REALLY fast.

I will be, at some point, examining the Canik to see what untypical things can be done that make the pistol perform better. There's no point in coming out with springs or hardware. That's already been covered. I have some other ideas though. Time will tell.
1 x

Ben W.

Post by Ben W. » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am

OM38, don't sell yourself short. There are quite a few of us beat-up old guys that still have fun competing in practical games, although it's within class and not for HOA. Like you, I also like the international disciplines, including pistol and shotgun. Still have the "want-to", just a little short on the "can-do". I do have a .38 wad gun set up for international but haven't had any place to actually shoot for years. I was also interested in rapid-fire, perhaps more so since the rule change to .22 lr., but same situation. So, I just have the fun I can close to home. Hope you'll stay active both in your shooting, and in your postings here. All the best!
1 x

OFFICERSMODEL38

Post by OFFICERSMODEL38 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Thank you very much Ben W.!!
0 x

Ben W.

Post by Ben W. » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:38 am

What city in Iowa? I moved here from there; have lived in Montezuma and Sioux City. Wm. Penn University....
0 x

OFFICERSMODEL38

Post by OFFICERSMODEL38 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:56 pm

I live in NE Iowa. Mason City. Small world huh?
1 x

Ben W.

Post by Ben W. » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:48 am

OFFICERSMODEL38 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:56 pm
I live in NE Iowa. Mason City. Small world huh?
Yes sir, it is!
1 x

BlasterRick

Post by BlasterRick » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Howdy unknown - S.D. boy here (Sioux Falls), but went to Iowa State. With all your firearm expertise, your assessment of the Canik is high praise indeed and ringing 3" steel at 25 yards is more than respectable. I believe the cat is slowly coming out of the bag on the Caniks. Welcome to the forum - I look forward to your postings.
1 x

OFFICERSMODEL38

Post by OFFICERSMODEL38 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:26 am

BlasterRick wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:53 pm
Howdy unknown - S.D. boy here (Sioux Falls), but went to Iowa State. With all your firearm expertise, your assessment of the Canik is high praise indeed and ringing 3" steel at 25 yards is more than respectable. I believe the cat is slowly coming out of the bag on the Caniks. Welcome to the forum - I look forward to your postings.
I appreciate your faith in me; but I'm on here to learn as well. I became fascinated with the design and gunsmithing aspects of guns when I was 13 years old. My dad worked in a chemical factory, but he was a good-general-all-around gunsmith. I began reading various gunsmithing books in his shop. I remember (40 years later) that my first project was making a set of gunsmith screwdrivers. I still have them. Out of a set of 12, the tip broke on two of them over the years. I remember project #2 was making a patridge-style front sight for my 22lr Colt Peacemaker. When I was 16 I started working on guns for money and at about age 20 I was doing action jobs on Smiths, Rugers, Dans, and Colts. A young gunsmith once said to me "Who is going to match the knowledge you have?". I told him there were many. Then about 1 minute later he was sharing a story where I learned 2 or 3 things! I have lots to learn. This looks like a quality forum where learning is a given!
0 x

Mdcutler

Post by Mdcutler » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:33 am

I am also new to the forum. I bought my Canik because I wanted to get started with CO divisions in the shooting sports. I tried the optic on my G34 with a mounting plate. Hated it! (Normally shooting 1911s). This TP9fx with my Vortex Venom on it shoots incredibly well! I have nothing negative at all to say about it! Probably the best striker fired trigger I have ever put my finger on !!

1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Welcome aboard the forum @Mdcutler
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Als

Post by Als » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Hello everyone. I have just started doing some IDPA at the local shooting range. So, got a new TP9SFx. Excited to try out. I have a stockpile of CCI Blazer Brass 115grn. Any suggestions for range ammo/ club shooting (more range than club matches). Thanks
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:15 am

Als wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:10 pm
Hello everyone. I have just started doing some IDPA at the local shooting range. So, got a new TP9SFx. Excited to try out. I have a stockpile of CCI Blazer Brass 115grn. Any suggestions for range ammo/ club shooting (more range than club matches). Thanks

Please start a new topic for your question. That way members can reply directly to you. Thx.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Als

Post by Als » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Cool. I'm in Virginia but all my parents family is from Mason City and Floyd.
Shoot Straight
0 x

shovelmike

Post by shovelmike » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:12 pm

Welcome to the forum.
0 x