Intro. MAC from Southern New Mexico

New Members, take a moment and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about you and your interest in the Canik brand of firearms.
ChuckMc879

Intro. MAC from Southern New Mexico

Post by ChuckMc879 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:55 am

Howdy y'all,
I'm a retired disabled paratrooper, just beginning to get involved with competition shooting and the reason I grabbed a TP9SFx w/Vortex Viper. I ordered it at the end of August but had to appeal a background check denial. Finally got it on March 3rd. I shot one USPSA and one Steel challenge with it before this mess.

I purchased a Springfield XD mod .2 subcompact, 9mm, 3" barrel back in 2017 and attached the CT LG-496g. The package deal came with 6 magazines,(3 -13rd & 3 -16rd). I was having fun but needed to have even more fun. Competition seemed the next step in both fun AND Training. I was looking at carry optics and the TP9SFx was featured on Guns and Ammo or American Rifleman or similar show. Did Some research and you ended up hear too, so you know why.

Already need to replace the trigger, (yep, take-up is waaaay too long). Suggestions? What feature is important in your choice?

The holster may be OK for occasional use but a trigger finger injury makes the release painful to operate, quickly and repeatedly during a match. I'd like to find a holster/hanger combination that is legal for Carry Optics divisions in USPSA, Steel challenge (SCSA?) & IDPA.
Suggestions on hanger systems seem to be where I need to start before finding the holster to attach to it. What do you use now? Is it a change? Why did "you" change? What do you like, what would you change?

I ditched the charging handle, didn't like it and bumps you out of Carry Optics in USPSA. I can't use a magwell in USPSA CO either so I don't need the best magwell attachment debate.

Mags & Mag end caps. I've 2 20's and obviously need more mags. Are the 18rnd w/ +4caps, legal in "Carry Optics" divisions for USPSA? IDPA? SCSA?
I'm guessing the 32rnd mags are only legal in Open divisions? I'm still learning the competition groups etc.

Suggestions Are welcome.
Thanks,
MAC
1 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Intro. MAC from Southern New Mexico

Post by Jester560 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:13 pm

Welcome to the madness from Alabama!

Take a look at Freedomsmith for trigger options. They are a very nice upgrade and do away with most of the pre and over travel. I have the "Pro" model and love it.

Someone with more competition experience will be along to answer your other ???
0 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Welcome aboard the forum.

The +4 needs to make the 140mm max lenght to be legal in CO Division.

Here are the USPSA rules https://uspsa.org/rules/
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:40 pm

Welcome aboard!

Freedomsmith will be the trigger of choice. I started with the Fat Daddy, which was the only option at the time. Changed to the Racer due to the side cuts. Now I'd go with the PRO myself. For holsters I use a Redhill Tactical for USPSA and Steel Challenge with a Boss hanger, and a SMC (Smokey Mountain Concealment) for IDPA.

The Redhill is a dedicated setup. The SMC holster mounts to a quick disconnect RTI Belt slide.
If I had to pick only one, it would be the Redhill. The way it is molded, your trigger finger sits perfect and just slides right off the holster. I ordered one last week for my X5 Legion.

The Taylor Freelance +4 basepads are really nice and meet the 140 USPSA requirements.
https://taylorfreelancestore.com/canik- ... ized-blue/

USPSA setup...

IDPA...

Link to RTI Belt Slide...
https://www.tacticalholsters.com/produc ... elt-slide/
1 x

Zardos

Post by Zardos » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Welcome, I lived in southern New Mexico for some time myself.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Cooks holsters makes great holsters for the SFx. I wear one for USPSA competition.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forum. Lot's of great info on here regarding modding the SFx.
0 x

deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by deserttrans » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:05 pm

Welcome from Arizona.
0 x