New guy, new Canik owner

New Members, take a moment and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about you and your interest in the Canik brand of firearms.
buddyd157

New guy, new Canik owner

Post by buddyd157 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:44 pm

buddyd157, from the state of R.I. here...hello
1 x

Maximumdarkside

Re: New guy, new Canik owner

Post by Maximumdarkside » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Welcome to the addiction!
0 x
Sanity and insanity are just states of mind, what state are you in?

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Welcome aboard the forum. Which model do you have?
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:06 pm

TP 9 SF.

i thought i had already posted that?..(guess not, i don't see it)

i am having a bit of an issue navigating this site, and at my age, may take me a bit'o time....lol
Last edited by buddyd157 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:07 pm

Welcome to the forum and the addiction from Alabama.
1 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 pm

thanks for the welcoming..

i "see" where the posts are in a different order than what i am used to on other sites.

usually, the old is on top, and responses are below. i'm messed up right now.
1 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:14 pm

buddyd157 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 pm

i "see" where the posts are in a different order than what i am used to on other sites.

You will get used to it in no time.

What mods have you done or are planning to do? We always like to see pics of your weapons.
0 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:17 pm

Jester560 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:14 pm
buddyd157 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 pm

You will get used to it in no time.

What mods have you done or are planning to do? We always like to see pics of your weapons.

well i have on order an extended slide release for my Glock, and i see on the Century Arms site, they have one for the Canik. so i might also get one for my SF. but looking at the pics, and the spring and the warning, i am not sure i want to do it now?

the Glock has a video, and i been studying that, seems "simple", can't say for sure yet about the SF
1 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:21 pm

for the record, i am 70+ years old, and only started getting into the sport/hobby of shooting/self defense as of mid-February.

but i was a mechanic for several years, in my earlier life, now a retired trucker.
2 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Welcome to the forum.
1 x

deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by deserttrans » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:44 pm

Welcome to the forum!
1 x

CanikTP9SFx

Post by CanikTP9SFx » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:43 pm

Welcome! A lot of friendly help in this forum.
1 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:39 am

If you are new to shooting, I would definitely not start modifying the slide stop (or anything) on the Canik. I would keep the Canik SF stock for a while and use it as you primary self defense weapon as you train up on your skills. Glocks have infinitely more aftermarkets goodies and are easier to modify, so if you want to tinker I would start with your Glock.

Which model Glock BTW?

Also, try a red dot on a rental or friend's pistol. It is amazing how it makes old eyes young again for shooting. (Then trade in that Glock for an SFx or Combat Elite...)
Last edited by ncjw on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:50 am

hello
1 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:01 am

ncjw wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:39 am
If you are new to shooting, I would definitely not start modifying the slide stop (or anything) on the Canik. I would keep the Canik SF stock for a while and use it as you primary self defense weapon as you train up on your skills. Glocks have infinitely more aftermarkets goodies and are easier to modify, so if you want to tinker I would start with your Glock.

Which model Glock BTW?

Also, try a red dot on a rental or friend's pistol. It is amazing how it makes old eyes young again for shooting. (Then trade in that Glock for an SFx or Combat Elite...)
Glock 17, 4th Gen.

i had rented the 5th gen, and the 4th gen, and decided that the grips on the 4th were better for me, plus it was about $150 cheaper to buy the 4th over the 5th, espcially if the only difference was the grip, and the sights.

i couldn't justify that extra money.

regarding the Canik, this morning i sent an email to century arms, but it was to the marketing dept, as i do not have an service or warranty dept email addy, and told them of the really HARD time i have pulling that slide back, and the jams i am getting.

i have already tried liked one person said, in another thread, to leave the slide open over night..........that ain't working to lossen up the spring.

right now, and for the past several days, i have had both mags loaded (as suggested in that other thread) to maybe correct the over-feed? of the mags?

all i can do now, is wait for century arms to get back to me.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:18 am

Unless they are impacted by a shortage due to all of the gun buying going on, they will send out a free reduced power RSA (recoil spring assembly).

There was no way to know back in Feb that you started a new hobby at the worst possible time in years...
1 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 am

ncjw wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:18 am
Unless they are impacted by a shortage due to all of the gun buying going on, they will send out a free reduced power RSA (recoil spring assembly).

There was no way to know back in Feb that you started a new hobby at the worst possible time in years...
i know, i actually did kick myself in the butt....literally for me an old man, i am still able to do so!!

here in my state, you have to read a "safety book", then take a test, then wait for a "blue card", which allows one to buy a handgun.

well, i got that book way back in september (if i recall?) then i waited until mid January to finally read the darned book, and take the test...

i wasn't in no hurry, being retired.

but yeah, then the crap hit the fan......but still, i got all my ammo, and my guns, (i still want more guns).......but i ain't in any sort of panic buying mode. i go to the range at least 2 times a week for practice.

yeah i know, never put off tomorrow, what YOU CAN DO TODAY....lol
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:02 am

in fact, like many others have said on other sites, soon, there may be a flood of not even used guns, up for sale......and that's when i'll hope to pick up a few more, at the low, low prices, a flooded market will bring.
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:08 am

ncjw wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:18 am

i had sent in an email to Canik/Century Arms. thier response to me was basically, that due to the virus they are closed, and working from remote areas (i'd say from thier homes) and will handle this and all other problems basically, first come, first served basis.

i can understand this, i really can.

as it is now, i have had the slide locked open for several days now, and frankly, there is absolutely no difference.

all i can do is hope for a resolution when it becomes my time.
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:08 pm

UPDATE: April 7, 2020

I just got this a short time ago, from Century Arms/Canik

Mathew (Century Arms)

Apr 7, 13:01 EDT

Good afternoon,

We can go ahead and send out a low force recoil spring assembly part under the warranty. As a heads up, these spring assemblies are currently on backorder as we await arrival of a new shipment from Canik in Turkey.

Could you please supply me with your firearm's serial number and current shipping address? We can set up the order now, and it will ship out as soon as they arrive from Canik.

If you do not feel comfortable changing out the part yourself, please let me know.

Additionally, please be aware that Canik barrels are SAMMI certified, meaning that there are very tight tolerances in the barrel chamber. Please ensure that you have properly cleaned the firearm and cleared any carbon build up inside of the chamber. Proper cleaning procedures can be found in the included firearm manual.

Thank you for contacting Century Arms.
0 x