Greetings Fanatik's!

New Members, take a moment and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about you and your interest in the Canik brand of firearms.
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Greetings Fanatik's!

Post by qballbandit » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Good evening,
My name is Neil, and joined up this evening after reading through the forums here for the last week. Great place - my hats off to the team.
Still a fairly new shooter, less than a year, starting with the Beratta M9 22LR as my training pistol, and messing about with my father-in-law's revolvers (38 & 357). First semi/striker purchased was the H&K VP9, which is a class act 9mm, in my opinion. My wife liked it so much, but has smaller hands, and I got tired of swapping the side panels and back strap, so gave it to her and purchased the Elite-S. No regrets whatsoever! Held a fellow shooters DA at a local range recently, and it was like I was under a spell, and have one ordered and on the way to my FLL.
When talking shop with firearm owners and range and gun store employees, I enjoy talking about Canik 9mm's, and really get good feedback from most everyone on my choices.
Personal goals are to solidify my fundamental's. I dry fire practice almost daily, and hit the range 3-4 times a month. I try to vary my shooting at the range by practicing different drills after my initial warmup. When I am confident that my skills have matured, I look to take the Concealed Carry exam, as well as Home Defense courses.
I may not have much to contribute yet, but look to learn from the seasoned Fanatik's here.
Thanks for having me aboard!

Best,

Neil
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: Greetings Fanatik's!

Post by Janik » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Elite. And it sounds like congrats on the DA as well. Two of my absolute all time favorite pistols. I grew up with DA/SA hammer fired handguns, so the TP9DA is very natural in my hand. I'm a bit old school when it comes to conceal carry, and prefer a heavier trigger pull on the first round down range. When you do get the DA, make sure you spend plenty of time shooting in double action and learning how to transition to single action. Since your fairly new to guns, taking a class with a competent instructor can also help. The transition from double to single really isn't hard to master, it just takes some practice. Both the Elite and DA will serve you well, and, the 18 round mags that come with your DA will work in your Elite. Let us know if you have any questions, we're all here to help and learn from each other. Welcome again.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks Janik for your reply. DA/SA is familiar to me based on my many hours training with my Beretta 22LR. That said, will heed your advice on the new and different gun. I really took some time last week at the range/shop familiarizing myself with their DA and the feel of the DA/SA, the deckocker, etc. Looking forward to receiving mine, and getting acquainted with it.
I am indeed looking for a couple of hour long private classes at my local range, so again - great advice!
Very nice to know about the mags, thanks very much.

Neil
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:14 am

Welcome Neil!

Congrats on the Caniks, they are great guns.
Sounds like you have a solid plan in place. Working on fundamentals and deliberate practice will pay big dividends.

As far as dry fire, take a look at a free training program called ShootOff. I've posted info on it in the forum. All you need is a webcam, laser bullet and the free software. Below are the links...

ShootOff Software...
http://shootoffapp.com/

Laser Bullet...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LaserLyte-La ... M/22143814

Webcam...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-C27 ... g/17616997

Makes dry firing more fun and provides feedback. There's a few different training exercises that provide splits too. Here's a few screenshots of my training, you can use any target you like...

0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 am

Welcome to the funny farm... Ah, err, I mean forum. :-O
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
I saved a youtube link on my phone (charging at the moment) for something called iTarget, or something close to that? You set it up on a table, shoot laser bullets at it, and it registers on an app on a smart phone? Sound familiar?
I don't yet have a webcam, though could invest in one, thought being able to set up the iTarget wherever is convenient at the time of practice seems appetizing.
Glenn, I'll check that link this evening, many thanks!

Best,

Neil
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:55 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 am
Welcome to the funny farm... Ah, err, I mean forum. :-O
Welcome...I see you have met one of the noisier farm animals...also known as LT USN... :d
0 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Howdy and Welcome to the Canik forum!!!
0 x
Shut up and Reload!

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. 8-)
I went to my FLL tonight to sign the background check paperwork for my DA. Sure looked good, and felt great in my hands. Now, it's a three day wait (Illinois) before going back to take it home. Boy was it tough to walk out of there without it!
I know some of you all like the black finish, but I went for the burnt bronze. Real showpiece look to it. Something about how the laser etching looks on that finish.
I've shot and held some of the desert tan flavors of colors, and some of them ( A SIG P320 I shot, in particular) just look strange to me. This burnt bronze is the bomb! My wife is already giving me the business saying that I'll want to clean it every time I open the case!
What does she know, she shoot's a VP9 :p

Best,

Neil
0 x

Sorge

Post by Sorge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:34 pm

welcome to the forum
0 x
Pew pew

Blue
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 300

Post by Blue » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Welcome!!
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:42 am

Practice for the CCW?

Admitting that I wasn't aware before I took it and also this applies to only NC, but the "mandatory pistol qualification" involved hitting a huge human sized target with 10 shots at 3 yds, 5 yds, and 7 yds. A score of 70% was passing. I used my 1911, but you could use a .22 and if you didn't own a gun, they would lend you a .22. If you failed, you could take it again right away. No one, including brand new shooters, failed.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:51 am

Should have just Googled. IL is 10@5, 10@7, 10@10 yds at a B-27 target ( https://www.targets.net/html/Targets/B-27/B-27.html ). 70% passes.

The B-27 is 24"x 45". In NC, anything on target counts, I assume that in IL it is the same, so you are looking at about a two foot by three and a half foot scoring area.

(Aside: We only need 8 hrs of instruction in NC, in CT it was 8 hrs as well, IL requires 16 hrs.)
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:38 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:14 am
As far as dry fire, take a look at a free training program called ShootOff. I've posted info on it in the forum. All you need is a webcam, laser bullet and the free software. Below are the links...
Yeah, but loud noises and holes are so much more - invigorating...
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:48 am

ncjw wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:38 am
GlennSFX wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:14 am
Yeah, but loud noises and holes are so much more - invigorating...
:-BD AGREED!!!...and more costly!
I'm running about a 1 -1 1/2 cases a month. Adds up.
0 x

ed21
Founding Member #: 1957

Post by ed21 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Welcome!
0 x