New member from Houston Texas

New Members, take a moment and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about you and your interest in the Canik brand of firearms.
Daniicrz

New member from Houston Texas

Post by Daniicrz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am

Hi there canik fanatiks. I am new to gun world. Well while I've shot a few I've never owned one until now. After months and months of reviews on many handguns the canik tp9sfx won in my book. Price and reliability. I have yet to fire it but I take you guys word for it. Lol plus it looks amazing. I will be using it for home defence. And would like to know what kind of ammo do you guys prefer?

Thank you 👍
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Re: New member from Houston Texas

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:52 am

Welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of information to impart based on your post.... I can't cover it all, but lets start with some basics...

1. Watch, listen and learn.... Go to YouTube, go to self defense forums... Learn home defense tactics, do's and don'ts..
2. Practice..... over and over, and over.. . .. . . .. . . . . . .
3. And you will find this out for yourself after following step #1... Personally for self defense, I use Hornday Critical Defense rounds... They are 1 of many good choices.
4. Know the laws in your state... Fortunately you are in Texas and we are very lucky in that regard... Between the Castle Doctrine and No Retreat laws, protecting your home and property gives you a decent measure of right....
5. Never be embarrassed or too proud to ask questions... If somebody here or another forum gives you grief for asking, then ignore them... You wouldn't want their advise anyway....
6. Did I mention PRACTICE....... :-)
7. Keep your gun clean and well maintained.... A well maintained gun is a happy gun.. An abused gun... well... you get the idea.

Again, welcome to the forum and were glad you're here...
2 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Daniicrz

Post by Daniicrz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Thank you. For taking your time and answering my question. I will be doing just that. Watching, Listening and Learning.
0 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Welcome on board , as a professional shooter let me give you small tip. i am never blame the fire arm for missing shooting untill 1000 rounds. Always blame my self. Muscle memory is very important thing. If you are spending more bullets , it will not make you better shooter. Find Effective Practice Technique and repeat it.
1 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 pm

I agree with all of the above.

However, after standardizing on Critical Defense a few years ago for carry I am probably going to switch to 124gr HST.
1 x

Daniicrz

Post by Daniicrz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Awesome tip. Can't wait to start training. 😁
0 x

Lthrnck1775

Post by Lthrnck1775 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:05 pm

I practice with 115 gr or 124 gr ball - cheap.... I use Critical Defense for carry. Occasionally (and obviously initially) run a mag or box of them (Crit. Def.) thru for reliability checks and re-familiarization.

Use 147 gr and 150 gr low power stuff for competitions :)
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the SFx. As mentioned by @Tejas Products , do not be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help, and there is a lot of knowledge on this forum.
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Welcome I'm up in Montgomery county. I run 124gr +p Hornady XTP's for defensive ammo. For practice I like S&B, PPU, Fiochi Magtech usually all around $8-9 a box online(shipping included if you catch the right deal/buy enough)
2 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 pm

I've been following the Honey Badger story line pretty closely, and I am leaning towards giving them a run for defensive ammo. The no foul-up twist is very intriguing. Anyone care to weigh in?

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy being a Canik Fanatic. What's the next Canik you're interested in? :smile:

Neil 8-)
1 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

Holmberg92

Post by Holmberg92 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:28 pm

Daniicrz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am
Hi there canik fanatiks. I am new to gun world. Well while I've shot a few I've never owned one until now. After months and months of reviews on many handguns the canik tp9sfx won in my book. Price and reliability. I have yet to fire it but I take you guys word for it. Lol plus it looks amazing. I will be using it for home defence. And would like to know what kind of ammo do you guys prefer?

Thank you 👍
Greeting from just down the road from you in Victoria tx. I to have the sfx and recently added a red dot and started reloading. I have a thread on here for the reddot and reloading if you want to check that out. Nothing to crazy yet but more will come. Your going to enjoy the sfx for what it is and the price you can’t beat it.
1 x

Daniicrz

Post by Daniicrz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:35 am

qballbandit wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 pm
I've been following the Honey Badger story line pretty closely, and I am leaning towards giving them a run for defensive ammo. The no foul-up twist is very intriguing. Anyone care to weigh in?

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy being a Canik Fanatic. What's the next Canik you're interested in? :smile:

Neil 8-)
I want to get familiarized with the sfx in and out. It being my first gun and all I have to train the house aswell. For now it will be enough but I'd like the elite to cc once i get the licence.
0 x

Daniicrz

Post by Daniicrz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:37 am

qballbandit wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 pm

Neil 8-)
Holmberg92 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:28 pm
Daniicrz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am

Thank you 👍
Greeting from just down the road from you in Victoria tx. I to have the sfx and recently added a red dot and started reloading. I have a thread on here for the reddot and reloading if you want to check that out. Nothing to crazy yet but more will come. Your going to enjoy the sfx for what it is and the price you can’t beat it.
Awesome I look forward to it. I'll be checking it out. Thanks 👍
0 x

rovpilot26

Post by rovpilot26 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:07 am

Welcome! I'm up in Atascocita if you ever want to get some range time with a prior service guy and LEO SRT instructor
1 x

Daniicrz

Post by Daniicrz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:05 am

rovpilot26 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:07 am
Welcome! I'm up in Atascocita if you ever want to get some range time with a prior service guy and LEO SRT instructor
That would be awesome. Whats your preffered shooting range in humble? I want to go in the next couple of weeks would be cool to plan something out. Need to break it in and learn to get comfortable with a gun.
0 x

rovpilot26

Post by rovpilot26 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:47 am

I typically go to SGA Crosby. John and Steve are great guys and they love the clientele
0 x

easy10

Post by easy10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:27 pm

rovpilot26 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:47 am
I typically go to SGA Crosby. John and Steve are great guys and they love the clientele
Welcome !

I see you go to SGA. Same here, Spring location. Been debating on signing up for one of their memberships, unlimited shooting.
0 x

rovpilot26

Post by rovpilot26 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Well I made the mistake of going to Academy this afternoon.. Now I have the Elite Combat and the SF Elite
0 x

rovpilot26

Post by rovpilot26 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 pm

The SGA family are good folks at all three of their locations. It is definitely worth picking up the membership
0 x