Disappointed

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
Crosspower

Disappointed

Post by Crosspower » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:20 am

I bought a tungsten Elite a good while back. It's every bit as good as any pistol I own and better than most. So I added a green Elite to my collection. It's as bad as the 1st one is good. Shoots well below bullseye. The groups are large as well. After emailing back and forth with Century they advised me not all guns shoot the same and I may have to learn to shoot it differently. You would think they would have at least offered to inspect the pistol. I'm done with it and its heading down the road. I'd love to have another good one, but would be afraid to take a chance on one now. The picture doesn't do the green slide justice. It is a pretty gun, but not useful to me.

0 x

John_

Re: Disappointed

Post by John_ » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:41 am

You're not alone in finding CA/Canik customer service is lacking. Another member here is having problems and CA response has been less than ideal. Sure they have been fast to send out reduced power RSAs, I received one myself. Seems from reading your description of correspondence with CA, it's leading me to believe that the fact Caniks are manufactured in Turkey, perhaps CA has no one knowledgeable in the USA on staff to repair our firearms. Why else wouldn't they offer to look at, test, diagnose, or repair the problem with your pistol?
This is not a promising development.

Here is a link to the other member's thread, his problems and CA's goofy responses: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=678
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:16 am

Sorry to hear you're having issues!!
I'm on my second Canik, first was a SFx and now an Elite. Both have been flawless right from the get go.

:-? ...You'd think being an Areospace based company with ISO certifications, their milling/build process would be pretty consistent. I wonder if all guns are live fire tested before shipping. I cleaned both of mine prior to shooting them, they had been lubricated and had some carbon which leads me to believe they had been test fired.
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 am

I read that. I would have paid for shipping. I had been debating what to do with it. Its 100% reliable. Probably as a home defense pistol it would be fine. But to shoot it is sad. Who doesn't smile when you send a bullet right through the center of the target? This guys name is Robert Pitman I was dealing with. Who in their right mind would tell me I may need to learn to shoot this pistol differently? I'm only getting $250 trade in for it but it will be over and done.
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:55 am

What I am questioning now is whether CA has replacement parts on hand? If for example the extractor broke in my SFX, can I get a replacement? Or any other small parts that might fail?

Has anyone here on the forum ordered or received any Canik replacement parts either under warranty, or outright purchase from CA? Has anyone read a post where anyone got spare parts or replacements ever?

Seems like I remember a guy here having a spare striker in a pic.
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:25 pm

I seem to recall a thread on here a while back regarding accuracy on these guns having to be broken in? Due to variation and wear of the Cerakote used in the finish?
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik!

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:05 pm

John_ wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:55 am
Has anyone here on the forum ordered or received any Canik replacement parts either under warranty, or outright purchase from CA?
TP parts here... https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-handg ... s?limit=12
Firing Pins... https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-firing-pins.html
Accessories... https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-handg ... ssories-15
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:17 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:05 pm
John_ wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:55 am
Has anyone here on the forum ordered or received any Canik replacement parts either under warranty, or outright purchase from CA?
TP parts here... https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-handg ... s?limit=12
Firing Pins... https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-firing-pins.html
Accessories... https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-handg ... ssories-15
Glenn, I should have searched instead of just being lazy and asking here. TY sir.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 pm

John_ wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:17 pm
Glenn, I should have searched instead of just being lazy and asking here. TY sir.
NO PROBLEM! ...that's what this forum is for. :-BD
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Disappointing to hear. Both my Elites are two of the most accurate firearms I've ever owned. I'd insist Century take a look at it.
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Just like any machine mass produced (and even those not mass produced), there is variation, and once in awhile the variation is great enough to affect performance..."lemons" happen in all real-world manufacturing. ISO certification is proof of acceptable quality standards and procedures, but that doesn't guarantee perfection...the company I work for is ISO certified, TS certified, etc. yet we still have a team of temporary workers sorting poor quality parts...Unfortunately, your gun may have slipped through the cracks...The frequency is low, otherwise Canik would have a poor reputation and angrier folks on this forum...luckily we are thin on angry and only have some grumpy (i.e. LT USN ret.).
0 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:38 am

Badgerboy wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 pm
luckily we are thin on angry and only have some grumpy (i.e. LT USN ret.)
"Why I ought to murerize ya!" 😬
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:46 am

Little update. It's been a long time since I've mailed a pistol. New laws. Only a UPS or FedEx facility will ship. No UPS stores. Then they only ship pistols next day air. I went to FedEx and they wanted $69 for shipping. Buds Guns offers a FedEx label for $39. But now I feel like I'm really taking a loss. I asked Buds if we could forget the trade and I paid for the new pistol. So I still have the green Elite. I also have a $150 gift card for Cabellas so I might go that direction and see what they would give. I'm sure there would be some new gun that catches my eye there lol.
0 x

MikieM

Post by MikieM » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Sorry to hear it. Have you checked the usual suspects?
Muzzle crown for a burr? Is the barrel good and tight when in battery? If you hand load are you using too much crimp?
A bad trigger can open up a group, too.
Good luck. :-?
0 x

vorvon46

Post by vorvon46 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:23 pm

An FFL can send your gun by USPS Priority Mail. I have one, here in Texas, that does it for $25.00 including shipping.
0 x

QuickN

Post by QuickN » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 pm

I placed an order last Monday (8/27)for firing pin assembly x2 from link above; order still shows processing and no shipping info; hope is comes in soon, the link claims in-stock still as it did last Monday
It will be interesting to see how long it takes for "in-stock" items to arrive
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:15 am

Janik wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:56 pm
Disappointing to hear. Both my Elites are two of the most accurate firearms I've ever owned. I'd insist Century take a look at it.
The way things ended up working out, I thought about what you said. This time I told them I was very unhappy with previous communications with Robert Pitman and I wanted them to look at and test gun. A woman responded and said they would. We'll see how it works out.
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:30 pm

Century arms returned my pistol pretty quickly. They claim to have adjusted the sights and fired 15 rounds through it and it fired to the point of impact at 8 yards. These two targets were shot at 19 yards offhand. My original elite last group is on the left and the newer S model is on the right. I ran three different brands of ammo. The groups were similar to this for both guns regardless of ammo. So once again I’m pretty disappointed with the results. It had been a couple months since I’ve been out which was way too long and I found myself initially pulling a lot of shots to the right. I ran about 200+ rounds through them. Both elites ran great as always. As I said before my tungsten elite Is one heck of a good pistol. It’s a shame the green S isn’t.
0 x

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Post by FrankW » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Have you tried switching barrels between the two guns to compare accuracy. I don’t know how you can judge accuracy shooting offhand. I suggest you shoot from a rest to see the true accuracy of your guns.

Frank
0 x

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Post by runeight » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Crosspower wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:46 am
Little update. It's been a long time since I've mailed a pistol. New laws. Only a UPS or FedEx facility will ship. No UPS stores. Then they only ship pistols next day air. I went to FedEx and they wanted $69 for shipping. Buds Guns offers a FedEx label for $39. But now I feel like I'm really taking a loss. I asked Buds if we could forget the trade and I paid for the new pistol. So I still have the green Elite. I also have a $150 gift card for Cabellas so I might go that direction and see what they would give. I'm sure there would be some new gun that catches my eye there lol.
Read the post I threw in the classified section next time you ship.
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.