Canik-Gear-Banner2 W74-Guiderods4 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
Like THIS comparison isn't all over the internet! I have owned the Q5 for close to 2 years. I have found it to have the best striker trigger I'd ever felt. It is very accurate and reliable. It is also versatile. I have grown to really like the Q5. Among my list of custom services is one where I take a particular 1911 and modify it through polishing, refitting, tightening, and replacing a small part or two. The finished product is more accurate and has a better trigger than a Sig P210 Target. I am no stranger to good triggers. The Q5 was the best of its kind that I had felt.

Weeks and weeks ago, I purchased a Canik TP9SFX more out of curiosity than anything. Here is what I have found:

TRIGGER: The Canik is slightly more crisp and is about 1 lb lighter. My Canik's trigger is clean, smooth, and breaks at close to 4 3/8 lbs. My Q5 is clean, smooth, but is not quite as crisp and it breaks at close to 5 1/4 lbs. Winner CANIK

ERGONOMICS: Both are very good, I seem to prefer the grip of the Q5 a little bit (due to a slight palm swell), but this is subjective. Versatility is high with both. I've shot the Canik so much lately that when I picked up my Q5 earlier IT felt a little "off", which it's not, it just demonstrates that it's a personal thing and it's what you're used to. The mag release is adjustable in size on the Canik which is a plus. The Q5 has it's ambedextrous paddle release and that's a plus. TIE

RELIABILITY: I haven't had trouble with either one of them and I've used many different loads. TIE

MATERIALS: Walther has built guns for so long one would assume that their chosen materials for each application would be excellent. Canik is an Aerospace company that also makes handguns. They should have some of the most advanced insight in existence concerning Materials Engineering. I have randomly tested the steel frame rails, the slide, and firing mechanism parts. The Canik parts across the board are a little bit harder. I tested a Canik sear by beating the crap out of it with a big hammer on an anvil. No breakage. Obviously not brittle. I guess I'll for now at least call it a TIE

GROUPING CAPABILITY AT 25 YDS: When I use the pistols with red dots and shoot groups while rested, one has been as good as the other. 10 shot groups are under 2" consistently with some groups getting down VERY close to 1". They both will do it. To get a more precise set of measurements would require a Ransom Machine Rest which I have, but I lack the inserts to test these pistols. Upon examination with a magnifying bore scope, I will state that the Canik has one of the best finished barrels I have ever seen at any price. The finish reminds me of the $300+ match barrels I install in 1911 Match Pistols. Until I get some grip inserts made, I have to call it a TIE

RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX: The Q5 has an advantage only because it has a fully adjustable rear sight. Looking to use a red dot anyway? Then I give Canik the nod because it comes with 4 different plates for red dots. Walther used to, but they don't do that anymore. You have to get the plate you need from them. Canik does offer a package deal where the pistol is equipped with a Vortex Venom and it still costs less than a Q5 with no red dot and no mounting plates. Winner CANIK

HANDLING WHILE FIRING: I really couldn't tell much, if any difference. The Canik is more or less a PPQ "clone-like" pistol. They are too much alike to handle firing differently. TIE

SO, we have 2 CANIK wins and 5 TIES, 1 tie is subjective (ergonomics) and 1 tie needs more advanced research (grouping capability). I think it's safe to say the Canik TP9SFX is at least as good as anything at $1K and under. That's amazing.
I always liked the Q5 but it was priced out of any recreational budget. I could have purchased two SFx for the same price as one Q5 match. Big point for the Canik!
Canik being an aerospace company is a rumor/belief/fantasy that has been floating around America for a couple years.
It's possible that it stems from the parent company's Facebook page that is listed as an aerospace company, undoubtedly because if they were listed as a firearms maker, the psycho liberals at FB would take down the page.
[url]Samsun yurt savunma sanayi - Home | Facebook/url]
BentAero wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:04 pm Canik being an aerospace company is a rumor/belief/fantasy that has been floating around America for a couple years.
It's possible that it stems from the parent company's Facebook page that is listed as an aerospace company, undoubtedly because if they were listed as a firearms maker, the psycho liberals at FB would take down the page.
Canik actually Brand Name of Samsun Yurt Savunma Company. It is like Dupont- Tefal. But as far i know Canik has no Aerospace certificate or any Aerospace production line. But Canik has any kind pistol fire arm production for NATO class certificate. I think Facebook page is just miss selection.
ncjw wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:08 pm
FaanBE wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:34 am
The Q5 has it's ambedextrous paddle release and that's a plus. TIE
Note that the SFX mod 2 also has this :)
IF we ever get them in the US. I know I am quite repetitive on this but, c'mon man, it's been over 18 mos since they promised them.
Seems they are getting there?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canikfa ... 597413279/
ncjw wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:44 am The FB link is broken.
Seems it's a private group, so the message board can't look it up.
Screenshot:

EDIT/ damned, I'm mistaken. It's a mod1 still. The ones on the right are not SFX but CE with the longer slide catches; I thought it were all SFX's.
Attachments
The bottom left pistol is a mod 2 it seems
The bottom left pistol is a mod 2 it seems
sfxmod2-USA.jpg (582.68 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
BentAero wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:04 pm Canik being an aerospace company is a rumor/belief/fantasy that has been floating around America for a couple years.
It's on CANIKs home page
https://www.canikusa.com/about-canik
zeda3000 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:59 pm
Canik actually Brand Name of Samsun Yurt Savunma Company. It is like Dupont- Tefal. But as far i know Canik has no Aerospace certificate or any Aerospace production line. But Canik has any kind pistol fire arm production for NATO class certificate. I think Facebook page is just miss selection.
Canik shows it on their home page
OFFICERSMODEL38 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:47 pm
zeda3000 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:59 pm
Canik shows it on their home page
I dont see this information in Turkish web page. As i mention before i never hear Canik Aerospace production. I only could be whish it will be true.
NATIVECANE wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:45 pm Nice write up and comparison, that for posting.
It's interesting... Considering that I already had the Walther, picking up that Canik just has me going "I paid $300 more for that Walther". I have tried several other striker-fired polymer pistols. None measured up to the Walther. That includes a Glock 17L, a Glock 34, a Springfield XDm full-size match. THEN here comes the competition ready Canik TP9SFX. There is nothing second-rate about this pistol in the sub-$1K category. The Canik is meant to kick ass and take names $1k and under.
NEW GIVEAWAY FOR YOU ELITE OWNERS

Ill be working on a giveaway for the forum specifi[…]

Forum suggestions for mobile use

Ill have to start a new thread on the stickies lat[…]

New to the forum

Welcome!

New to the forum

Welcome from another happy Elite owner!