Canik-Gear-Banner2 W74-Guiderods4 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
Another day at the range shooting a few Caniks along with my CZ P09. Nothing really new to report, just basically an uneventful day at the range. Took my new steel targets to try out, and also put the ADE red dot back on the Elite Combat. I have to say that I'm surprised that the cheap ADE red dot held zero even though I removed it from the gun a couple months. So far, for a $50 red dot, it's held up great. Obviously I wouldn't trust my life to it, and probably wouldn't use it in competition, but for a range toy I've no complaints.

I do want to note though that I had a couple failures to go into battery with the SC. However, it's cold as heck this morning, and I was shooting with gloves which I normally don't do. In the Fall/Winter, I usually go to an indoor range. But, now that I have my own steel targets, I prefer the outdoors. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the failures are because I was wearing gloves and could barely feel my fingers. I noticed with the larger framed guns I kept having to tighten my grip. So I'm pretty sure I was limp wristing due to gloves and cold fingers. The SC is a bit snappier due to it's smaller size, so that's my assumption for now. But I'll need to go to the indoor range and put a few hundred rounds through it to see if I can replicate the failure. Anyway, another fun day at the range.
IMG_E2872s.jpg
IMG_E2872s.jpg (257.06 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Pic of my steel targets at home, before the range trip today where I shot the newness right off them.
IMG_2852s.jpg
IMG_2852s.jpg (285.11 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
What do you think about octagon shaped targets, 8"? I ask because there is a maker that makes these instead of the round ones. The octagon shape has a lot less waste since the targets fit together. Only the outside edges have the potential for waste. I am tempted to cut some.

You could use a simple rebar frame to hold them. One frame per and you can then spread the targets around for a speed shoot. i have done a few competitions that use five stands of round plates, and one stand 16X24" used as the stop plate. Often a couple of round plates are partially hidden by the stop plate. There is a heavy time penalty if you shoot the stop plate before the other plates. That add a bit of risk to your plan of attack.
sgschwend wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:39 pm What do you think about octagon shaped targets, 8"? I ask because there is a maker that makes these instead of the round ones. The octagon shape has a lot less waste since the targets fit together. Only the outside edges have the potential for waste. I am tempted to cut some.

You could use a simple rebar frame to hold them. One frame per and you can then spread the targets around for a speed shoot. i have done a few competitions that use five stands of round plates, and one stand 16X24" used as the stop plate. Often a couple of round plates are partially hidden by the stop plate. There is a heavy time penalty if you shoot the stop plate before the other plates. That add a bit of risk to your plan of attack.
I don't have a lot of experience shooting steel, so I'm not well versed with the different shapes. I did some someone selling octagon shaped targets on Amazon and may purchase some at a later date. I'm looking to start shooting competition in January, so I'm sure I'll be getting a lot more experience with steel targets then.
Sandpaper wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:25 pm
Janik wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:19 am I was wearing gloves and could barely feel my fingers.
Way to get out there and get uncomfortable. This is the line whereupon training begins.
Yah, I was telling my buddy it was a lot different shooting rifles in the Army in the cold. Those are a lot more forgiving. Shooting handguns with freezing fingers is a whole different ball game. It was definitely a wake up call that I need to shoot in different conditions so I know how to maintain a proper grip, otherwise a failure can/will occur.
97octane wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 pm What type of ammunition were you using? Makes me want to go shoot In the freezing cold haha rather figure out any issues I might have now before it really matters.
124gr NATO, 115gr Wolf steel case, and 124gr Sellier and Bellot. I'm going to go shooting again this weekend. My theory is cold hands and slippery gloves, since I've never had that happen with my DA that I've owned for almost 3 years now.

I'm likely not buying ammo again before 2022. A fe[…]

My TX22 is stock but seriously needs one mod that […]

well, my Canik Fanatik hoodie just arrived, at […]

Howdy

Welcome to CF