Failure to eject

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
BravoTango

Re: Failure to eject

Post by BravoTango » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 am

I have been in email contact with CAI and they are sending me the reduced tension recoil spring. no questions asked. Great customer service.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:56 pm

I just emailed Century for a new spring... Went back to the range with my SFX.... It's been fine with 115g the last couple of trips, but today had FTE over and over again... I guess it wasn't as broken in as I thought.... Hopefully they will respond soon and I can get the reduced recoil spring....

Side Note... Met 2 guys at the range who both had the SFX.... I told them about the forum... They both sent their SFX's back to Century to have new springs put in due to FTE's.... One would think Century would figure it out by now...
1 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

stanj1

Post by stanj1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:56 pm
I just emailed Century for a new spring... Went back to the range with my SFX.... It's been fine with 115g the last couple of trips, but today had FTE over and over again... I guess it wasn't as broken in as I thought.... Hopefully they will respond soon and I can get the reduced recoil spring....

Side Note... Met 2 guys at the range who both had the SFX.... I told them about the forum... They both sent their SFX's back to Century to have new springs put in due to FTE's.... One would think Century would figure it out by now...
Sent them an email through their website, and less than 24 hours later they send me a parts order confirmation for the lighter weight recoil spring. Very happy with their response.
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:15 pm

stanj1 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:32 pm
Tejas Products wrote:

Sent them an email through their website, and less than 24 hours later they send me a parts order confirmation for the lighter weight recoil spring. Very happy with their response.
Did they make you sign the wavier of liability and a copy of your DL...
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:18 pm

BravoTango wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:04 pm
Range Report

Shot 150 rounds of 9mm NATO through my new Canik.

Zero FTE. Zero FTF

Still going to see if CAI can send me the reduced tension spring.
We need a sticky here. All Caniks have basically the same design and are tuned for Turkish and other Euro area military and police contracts which exclusively use 124gr NATO spec duty ammo. Granted, you may get lucky and cycle other loads, but that is not guaranteed. However, it should always run 124gr NATO.

Century might want to consider shipping a lower power RSA with each US bound Canik by default, but obviously there is a cost to that and Canik's niche is a truly great gun at a very reasonable price point. I think that their current stance of shipping a free low power RSA upon request is a reasonable compromise.

So:

1a. Try and break a new Canik in with 124gr NATO.
1b. If not, use what you have.
1c. If FTE, then request a free RSA.
1d. If still FTE, then discuss return or fix with Century.

2. If FTE with 124gr NATO, then discuss return or fix with Century.

This hopefully should eliminate about half of the FTE posts.
1 x

StanM

Post by StanM » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Generally, I agree with the steps outlined except for breaking in gun with NATO 124gr ammo. That should not be necessary. I don't believe any of us want a gun that uses only one type of ammo. Customer service at C A. is good, but lighter spring did not fix my problem... had to send it back to C.A., fairly quick turn-around, about ten days. Weapon works great now, have shot several hundred rounds, all types of ammo and no jams! P.S. I'm one of the two guys Tejas Products met at the Frisco Gun Range today. Thanks for putting me on to this forum!
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:56 pm

StanM wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:49 pm
Generally, I agree with the steps outlined except for breaking in gun with NATO 124gr ammo. That should not be necessary. I don't believe any of us want a gun that uses only one type of ammo. Customer service at C A. is good, but lighter spring did not fix my problem... had to send it back to C.A., fairly quick turn-around, about ten days. Weapon works great now, have shot several hundred rounds, all types of ammo and no jams! P.S. I'm one of the two guys Tejas Products met at the Frisco Gun Range today. Thanks for putting me on to this forum!
Hey.... glad you found the forum... It was great meeting you guys......
0 x

stanj1

Post by stanj1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:33 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:15 pm
stanj1 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:32 pm
Tejas Products wrote:

Did they make you sign the wavier of liability and a copy of your DL...
No, but it seems like its required for almost everything else.
0 x

Rhinolee

Post by Rhinolee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:12 pm

What Ammo qualifies as 124 gr. Nato?? My SFX will not cycle a round, no stove pipe, because the slide is not coming back fare enough to eject the case. Very frustrating!!! to take your new gun to the range and I can only shoot it single shot. I am also running it with the included Vortex Red dot if that matters.
I see 124 gr. ammo at the store but nothing says Nato on it. I want to make sure I'm getting what I need to break the spring in.

Thanks!!
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Google: Winchester Q4318

That is the most popular brand here in the US. It is NOT the usual Winchester white box (WWB) 115gr soft recoiling ammo.

Your local Walmart (usually) or Palmetto State Armory (as of today, 3/11/19) has it in stock for less than $9/50 round box. Sometimes they come in 150 or 200 packs.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:12 am

So I went to the range Friday and loaded 270 rounds into the mags but only 269 went bang! I tried twice more to fire the dud and it would not go. Nice, deep FP strikes on the primer, so the only conclusion is that even the mil-spec NATO rounds sometimes have a faulty primer.
0 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:51 am

Two things here...

1. Just like everyone else here explained, the TP9SFX needs to be broken in properly. I was using 147gr 130 PF ammo and I just racked my slide to the rear for the first week I owned it. After you put the first 1000 rds through it, it should be running very well. If you don't want to wait, you can contact Canik and they will send you a slightly weaker spring.

2. Grip - Even now (although my Canik shoots solid now) it will fail to eject if my grip is wrong. By "wrong" I mean shooting strong hand/weak hand and not using the correct firm grip with a locked wrist. Check your grip and make sure you aren't limp-wristing it. This is not a problem exclusive to the Canik. Most striker-fired handguns suffer from the same issue.
0 x