TP9EC

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
johnh
Founding Member #: 1978

TP9EC

Post by johnh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:26 pm

picked up this pistol last night and all i could think about was getting to shoot it today
i didnt even care that friday night i shot my worst trap score ever because i knew i was going to get to take this gun out and have fun

first impression was the gun feels heavy or heavier then the DA/SFX i own and in a good way
the sfx to me only feels truly balanced until it has rounds in the mag
first i loaded up some dummy rounds and racked the slide - recoil spring feels heavier then my sfx when new
raised the pistol in a safe direction and yep that trigger is sweet just a little pre travel to the wall (not as much as my sfx) then a crisp clean break with no creep or over travel in mine that i could tell and then the reset seems if possible shorter then my DA

one negative is that both mags when empty would not fall completely out of the gun and had to be pulled out
if a few rounds where in the gun they would drop
now i tried all my other mags from the other guns and they dropped freely

also not a fan of the holster and that pull button release - maybe with time and more use i could get used to it but for now i doubt i use it
just dont like buttons

so today came and i took the elite combat out to the range it was windy, wet and muddy but nothing was going to stop me
set up a 6" / 4" spinner target at 15 yards and fired 100 rounds of winchester 124 nato
gun ran flawless and locked back on every empty mag

then setup paper targets at 10 yards and shot
100 rounds of wwb 115gr
150 rounds of wwb nato 124gr
50 rounds of remington 115 jhp
50 rounds of winchester 147 jhp

again gun ran fine but did have one failure to lock back the slide on one mag of wwb 115gr

sights where set right and i was getting a poa/poi at 10 yards with a center hold on all bullet grains
now i didnt feel i could back on target as fast with these sights compared to my DA ( fiber optic seems a little small but then i was aiming at 2" circles)
and getting used to the feel of the fatter flat faced trigger will take more time/rounds

very happy with this gun and going to take it back out tomorrow along with my DA to compare

i would of had pics of my accuracy testing but i left my target at the range
didnt bother to grab it since i almost lost my shoe in the mud setting the dang thing up(will grab it tomorrow)

so 450 rounds down range and still smiling

will try some 25 yard and maybe 50 yard shots tomorrow
now i did drop some lube on the slide and barrel but i am not going to give it a clean until 1000 rounds

also dont think i will be putting the vortex on anytime soon since i am already thinking this might become my carry but that is a couple thousand rounds more down range and finding a good aiwb with sidecar holster
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Re: TP9EC

Post by higgybaby » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Sounds like it did good for you. I like my Elite..... I have never been a striker fan....but Canik changed my mind about that. Although I still favor my da/sa guns....the Elite has grown on me.
0 x

johnh

Post by johnh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:10 pm

higgybaby wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:57 pm
Sounds like it did good for you. I like my Elite..... I have never been a striker fan....but Canik changed my mind about that. Although I still favor my da/sa guns....the Elite has grown on me.
it sure did
all the caniks i own sfx, da, tristar p120 and now the elite combat just seem to RUN

its funny i still find people at gun ranges/stores that dont anything about caniks
some part of me wants them to stay unknown to the masses just to keep the price down
well at least until i can own one or two of all the models
0 x

johnh

Post by johnh » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:09 pm

put another 170 rounds down range today qith the tp9ec
would have put more but it was cold

started out @25 yards standing slowish fire - you can tell i dont practice enough at this distance

then 10shots with the t9da at 25yards - maybe i should move my sights most shots fell left

then moved to a distance i am comfortable with at 10 yards
accuracy test 10rounds

tp9ec

tp9da - again most grouped left

and then my ruger american duty size

then i worked with picking up the pace double/triple taps
moving between 3 targets i setup
the more i shoot the more comfortable this gun feels

only ammo used was 115gr federal champion fmj which ran good no problems

now to bowling pins on tuesday and some 147gr jhp
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm

johnh wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:09 pm
then i worked with picking up the pace double/triple taps
moving between 3 targets i setup
Now thats what I like to do....I usually have the range to myself if I go in the mornings on week days. I can move around and shoot at different targets.
On the weekends the range is full....then I gotta go by the rules...stay behind the lines....no rapid fire and all that stuff.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:54 pm

The EC is a great gun. Have well over 2K rounds through it and it's been flawless. Running a 6.5 RMR on it and it's a EDC gun. I have complete confidence in it. One of my favorite guns!!!
0 x

johnh

Post by johnh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:50 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:54 pm
The EC is a great gun. Have well over 2K rounds through it and it's been flawless. Running a 6.5 RMR on it and it's a EDC gun. I have complete confidence in it. One of my favorite guns!!!
after seeing your post on the red dot thread it makes me want to sell my venom that came with this pistol and get the RMR
not that i dont like vortex i do i have one on my sfx (3moa) but with the RMR i think i would feel more comfortable with it as an EDC option
0 x

johnh

Post by johnh » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 pm

had a good night and lots of fun shooting pins yesterday
fired over 100+ rounds of winchester 147 jhp down range and some even hit the bowling pins

i did have one failure to fire or go into battery? things happen so fast that when i pulled the trigger no bang i tap rack and ejected the round
gun ran fine after that for the last 12-18 rounds i shot of the night

after that match ended i picked up the bullet and no primer strike on it (odd) - so that leads me to think it didnt go into battery but i could almost swear i felt the trigger break
any ideas?
so i dont know what happened but no worries like i said gun ran fine after that

going to use it again next week
really loving the trigger
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:51 am

johnh wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 pm
i did have one failure to fire or go into battery?
no primer strike on it (odd) - so that leads me to think it didnt go into battery but i could almost swear i felt the trigger break
any ideas?
:-? ...with no primer strike, I would tend to agree with you, where the gun didn't go fully into battery. The only other thing that would prevent the firing pin from engaging would be the firing pin safety plunger not being released. Can't see that happening with the trigger being fully pulled. Especially after a tap/rack and the gun going bang.
0 x

Davalutchi

Post by Davalutchi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Any know of a good iwb for the EC? Been using a soft one for now but would like a hard holster to use as my EDC setup.
0 x