Click, click, no bang

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Click, click, no bang

Post by Lgaam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:02 pm

Last range trip was January. With COVID closures, I've only been able to dry fire practice, 25-50 trigger pulls/session, 1-2 sessions/week. With all the peace and tranquility in the world, if I'm not going to, at, or coming from work, I've been carrying the Elite (15+1 and 18) for anything my Ford truck couldn't get me out of.

Today, I managed to get on a lane with just a 1 hour wait. Eyes, ears, target, magazine, slide, sight picture, squeeze, CLICK. Lock the slide back, pick up the round, pristine. Try again. Same result. Field strip in the stall, depress the firing pin plunger, slide the assembly forward, no firing pin protruding. I said several colorful words as I packed it in and went for Plan B.

The XDs ran flawlessly. I blasted. I slow fired before blasting some more.

Email and picture sent to Century as soon as I got home. Cleaning up the XDs and running it as my primary until this gets resolved.

I also had 2 .223 cases bounce off the wall and into my collar. I haven't done that dance in a while.
Last edited by Lgaam on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Re: Click, click, no bang

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Probably have a MIM firing pin and the tip broke off. The new ones are machined. I bought a two pack of the machines pins and didn't wait to swap it out. Pull the FP out and see what it looks like!

Did you dry fire with a dummy round? If not, that's probably what did the FP in.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Lgaam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:29 pm

It's a '17 model, so it's probably MIM. Almost always use the Barrel Blok inserts unless I'm doing failure drills, then it's snap caps. I guess all it takes is once....

0 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Been there, done that. Broke the tip off when my SFx was fairly new, Century replaced it. Then a year or so later, i started having a weird intermittent light-strike, and the striker was acting funny; didn't feel right when trigger was pulled.

As i pulled it apart to diagnose the problem, the tip fell off. On examination under magnification, i could see that the tip had been bent ever so slightly which was causing it to drag/hang up some of the time but not consistently.

The replacement Century sent the second time was the new machined version.
1 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Lgaam » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:39 am

I figure I'll give it about a week for a reply from Century. The website has a disclaimer that they are slammed and will respond, just not as fast as usual.

I've gone back to my XDs for daily duty and I've got a Concealment Express holster for my SD9VE getting delivered today.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Lgaam » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:08 pm

I got my reply! Firing pin assembly has been entered with a reference number!
0 x