my Canik TP 9 SF does not like......

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
buddyd157

my Canik TP 9 SF does not like......

Post by buddyd157 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:15 pm

as the subject starts off saying...

the Canik TP 9 SF does not like,

the Wolf brand, steel case ammo....... :-(

my Glock 17 and the CZ 75 B, eat up that ammo... :d

the Canik, jammed up many times.

I even have the "lighter" RSA, and last week, not ONE jam with the brass ammo i was using

so my next range visit, next week, will include brass for the canik and the wolf for the other 2.

the Wolf is a bit dirty, but i clean my guns each week, so that does not bother me.

i will still buy the Wolf, it is cheaper, and for "plinking" it's fine for me
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Re: my Canik TP 9 SF does not like......

Post by Tejas Products » Thu May 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Interesting.. My SF ate up Wolf steel ammo... Now this was mostly during the warm summer months in Texas.. In other words.. HOT... What was the temperature when you were at the range... I'm assuming outdoor range since most won't allow steel ammo inside...
0 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu May 14, 2020 4:59 pm

My SA and T100 eat it up, but I've not really run any through my Elite.
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:19 pm
Interesting.. My SF ate up Wolf steel ammo... Now this was mostly during the warm summer months in Texas.. In other words.. HOT... What was the temperature when you were at the range... I'm assuming outdoor range since most won't allow steel ammo inside...
indoor range.

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:59 pm
My SA and T100 eat it up, but I've not really run any through my Elite.
i dunno what to say, i had the OEM RSA replaced with the "blue" one cuz, i was getting stove piping like crazy.

last week, i shot off 50 rounds of 124 grain brass, without ONE failure/jam up.

today, the Wolf just would not cooperate, or the Canik would not cooperate.

i go back next week, and will shoot off 115 or maybe 124 grain brass. either Winchester, or S&B

no more range time this week, and i stay away from there on the weekends, so the "working people" can go there then.

being retired, it's best for me to go during the week.
0 x

ginger

Post by ginger » Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 am

i just avoid steel in any pistol because its so much tougher on them vs brass. now AR15s anything that fits will shoot lol
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri May 15, 2020 3:37 pm

ginger wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 am
i just avoid steel in any pistol because its so much tougher on them vs brass. now AR15s anything that fits will shoot lol
For the last couple years I've been doing the same, before the wutang flu panic you could get decent brass for $1 a box more then steel 9mm.
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:44 am

well a disappointing time at the range today.

took my Canik TP 9 SF, and my CZ 75 B

for the Canik, since it does not like the Wolf steel casing ammo, i had 50 rds of S&B 115 gr brass, and 50 rds of Remington 115 grs brass.

the Canik stove piped like no tomorrow, and this in conjunction with the "lighter RSA"

so now, next thursday i go back and this time i will take the 124 gr of S&B, since a couple of weeks ago, it shot fine, with no stove piping. which of course would be telling me, nothing below 124 grs for the Canik.

kinda not liking that the Canik is a finicky eater.

other choices are to buy expensive NATO, and i simply will not do that. i'd rather dump the gun instead, and get another CZ

the CZ, took on the wolf ammo again today, and not asked, but begged for more.

next week's range work out, will determine if i keep or dump the Canik.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu May 21, 2020 11:52 am

I got to looking at some of my ammo.. I realized it was Tula not Wolf that my SF liked... I've not tried Wolf so not sure... Try a box of Tula...
0 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Strange especially with the reduced RSA. UMC is pretty weak and dirty so i try not to buy it, but the 115gr s&b is pretty good stuff my Elite shot it when it was new with the heavy rsa. 124gr s&b is pretty close to NATO load and sometimes is overrun NATO ammo.
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm
Strange especially with the reduced RSA. UMC is pretty weak and dirty so i try not to buy it, but the 115gr s&b is pretty good stuff my Elite shot it when it was new with the heavy rsa. 124gr s&b is pretty close to NATO load and sometimes is overrun NATO ammo.
before i got the replacement RSA, all i had was 124 gr ammo, and that was S&B.....darned thing stove piped every other round. very annoying.

this lead to several members advising to get a replacement RSA under warranty.

last week, as i mentioned, it ran the 124 S&B that i have, with no issues. (this with the new replacement lower pressure RSA)

the 115 gr S&B was all the new ammo store that i went to, had in stock, in fact 115 across all the brands that they had on the shelf's. so no choice to get the 124 gr.

i have to wait till next thursday to go back to the range, and go with my remaining 124 S & B

but as i may have mentioned, before the RSA was replaced, the ammo, all 124 gr, (S&B) would stove pipe like crazy. i have pretty much been buying S&B before this pandemic, nw with prices all over the place, i am trying to find ammo under the $200 mark for 1,000 rds. this is why i went with the Wolf 115 gr. 1,000 pcs.
0 x

ginger

Post by ginger » Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 am

I only shoot brass, because steel is so tough on the guns.

that being said, i have a 24lb spring in mine, with winchester 115 and have no issues.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri May 22, 2020 8:23 am

ginger wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 am
I only shoot brass, because steel is so tough on the guns.

that being said, i have a 24lb spring in mine, with winchester 115 and have no issues.
I shoot more brass then steel especially in pistols but I've yet to see someone damage a gun shooting steel. Perhaps extractors if the gun has a MIM one.
0 x

ginger

Post by ginger » Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 am

more of a long term many rounds thing, steel on steel will wear both the same the casing and the gun, brass on steel, the brass is going to wear and the steel wont.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri May 22, 2020 10:01 am

ginger wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 am
more of a long term many rounds thing, steel on steel will wear both the same the casing and the gun, brass on steel, the brass is going to wear and the steel wont.
I cant argue the science of that but IMO it's going to alot of cases of ammo before you start seeing any wear on chamber or other parts from steel ammo, way more then your typical gun owner will ever put through it. I've had 2 glocks with 20k+ wolf through each only things i ever broke/wore out were unrelated to steel/brass except maybe an extractor.
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:45 am

i am getting VERY TICKED OFF now with my range time and my Canik...

i waited a long time, for Century Arms to send me the "lesser" hard RSA, from the original which was a PITA to pull back on the slide, manually.

the Canik was forever stove piping. (which lead me to email Century Arms)

I DID NOT HAVE any NATO rounds, but shot off a lot of S&B 124 gr rds.

i had "fewer" stove pipes, or jams, but they still happened. (with the replacement "blue" RSA)

i have made NO modifications to the gun, other than to install the slide lock release lever, for the extended release one, that I GOT from Century Arms, so it's theoretically an OEM part.

the Canik DOES NOT LIKE to be fed the Wolf steel case ammo, which is 115 gr. stove piping, and jamming galore.

so today, i took 50 rnds of S&B 124 gr, and the summanabiotch, stove piped like no tomorrow with the "blue" RSA. so i took out the "blue" RSA, and put back the OEM SUPER HARD RSA..

dam summanabiotch, stove piped like the world was on fire....

so, on the way home, i picked up 250 rds of Winchester 147 gr super sonic? the guy at the gun store, (where i do a LOT of business), had said that this super-sonic (or is it sub-sonic?), ammo is hotter than the NATO loads.

i dunno.

i clean my guns, after EVERY visit to the range.

also, someone had mentioned to another poster that had this super hard RSA to leave the slide locked open for a few days..

let me tell you that I HAD MINE, locked open for 4 SOLID weeks, and IT DOES NOT WORK....!!

so please DO NOT ADVISE ME to leave the slide locked open.

given all the information i have related to you, my next range day for this gun will be either next tuesday, or thursday...

with the 147 gr sub/super sonic Winchester ammo...

until then, anyone have any REAL IDEA(s) as to what the problem is..??

and no, it is not "limp wrist", i have a good firm grip...and have absolutely NO PROBLEMS with my Glock 17 nor my CZ 75-B....

any ideas on this?

cuz if next weeks range time is not better with the 147 grs, and with the arrival of my 2 NEW 18 rd mags tomorrow, i'l'l dump this biotch at the gun store for another Glock.

thanks in advance.
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:41 pm

no one has any idea..??

no thoughts..??
0 x

Leon

Post by Leon » Fri May 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Man that sucks! Maybe call Canik and send it to them for warranty repair?

I know this won’t help but my elite hasn’t skipped a beat since day one, original everything. And now I’m loading rounds at 130 power factor and the pistol just runs.

Don’t give up there is an answer for your issue.
0 x

jgillaspy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by jgillaspy » Fri May 29, 2020 9:41 pm

Hey buddyd157,

So, I'm betting you've been shooting since the rocks were cooling. I started with pistols in 1986 when I was stationed at Fort Polk, LA. I owned a S&W .357 magnum, a Ruger Mark II and shot a 1911A1. So the CZ 75B (all metal) shoots the ammo fine, but the Canik (polymer framed) doesn't. Don't take this wrong, but is there any chance you are limp-wristing the Canik? Since it's lighter it could be an issue as the felt recoil is greater.

My suggestion - have someone else at the range try it, loke one of the ROs, or someone you trust. If it still fails contact Canik USA / Century Arms for a warranty visit.

JG
0 x