Disappointed

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Re: Disappointed

Post by Badgerboy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Good news. Hope you are less disappointed with the outcome.
0 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Post by runeight » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Crosspower wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:38 am
The Elite was mailed on Tuesday evening 3/19. Remarkably Century contacted me 1st thing Friday morning 3/22. They said the crown on the barrel is bad. They asked if I would be ok with changing the barrel because it would have a different serial number. I told them I was fine with that. That's the last I heard about it. I'm feeling pretty good about it. It would seem they "really" looked at it this time.
Keep the paper work in the event you sell it. Two numbers will throw up flags.

Surprised they didn’t stamp the correct number and destroy the original.
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:16 am

Final chapter. I went home one evening and there was a UPS tag that said "adult signature required". Even though I sent it from a FFL and requested it be returned there. Regardless my wife was able to acquire the package. I would think an email like hey your pistol is done we are shipping, but no communication from them after ok was given for barrel replacement. Alright I know that's trivial. I was pleasantly surprised that they did include 2 test fired targets and stated it was fired with 147gr Lawman. I posted their 2 targets. I shot 20 rds offhand at 25 yds. I had fired a magazine from a LCP at the target 1st and those holes are taped over. When I look at their targets and mine I'd have to say it shoots a little low and maybe a little right. Plenty good enough for IDPA and self defense. I didn't have any Lawman. It was fired with 115gr Remington training ammo. I'll try some different ammo through it in the future and see what it likes.

Image Image Image
0 x

bjoshua1002

Post by bjoshua1002 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:47 am

i have oddly shaped hands. BIG palms, short thin fingers. its goofy when buying anything that, say, fits in/on your hand. being said, i am a little less than thrilled with the mag well flare after putting quite a few rounds down range. it kinda digs in a little. simple fix however, High Voltage insulating tape+Super 88 brown electrical tape. (guess what i do for $$) Part 2 is also the sights. Particularly how they were in now way close from the factory. and the bed of my truck is not where i like to tinker with anything. I have all but destroyed my small non-marring hammer messing with that freaking sight. tap tap tap SLAM tap Slam, my god its never enough or over the top. like it doesnt want to line up. so I am borrowing a cheater. Trijicon RMR to proof that its just me that cant fine tune that rear post and that bore lazers in the form of a cartridge are garbage. (the laser is fact. avoid the $40-60 version of these things. if the RMR cowitnesses with the front sight im going to get XS sights. I recommend these to everyone. fastest iron sight target acquisition ive ever seen. definitely check into these! im basically self justifying spending the money haha thanks for the outlet.

**** :idea: low left is where like 99% of shooters impact. low left if 98% of the time always the shooters flinch. and speed tip, by the target with the correction ring. where you impact it with tell you why you missed if you are in the <1% category.
1 x

bjoshua1002

Post by bjoshua1002 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:23 am

Crosspower wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:19 am
Hidden wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:06 am
Crosspower wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:54 am
Recap is I bought the tungsten Elite 1st. Man this is a great pistol I thought. Ordered a green one for my collection. Shoots low and right. I filed a claim with Century. The 1st guy pretty much blew me off, I pursued the matter telling them I wanted them to test fire the pistol. They claimed they made a sight adjustment, test fired 15 rds and was right on at 8 yards. There is no sight adjustment to fix being that low. Also the groups are better from the tungsten. The green one is a beauty and works 100% well. I could leave it alone and have a perfectly good home defense pistol. It is not acceptable for IDPA matches though.
You have still not swapped parts around? You're not really helping yourself much.

It's not my job to diagnose the problem of a new pistol under warranty. That would be Century Arms. I work 50 hrs a week and it's our slow time now. Then there is my wife, kids and grand kids. I really want to go to range to practice and have fun. But the most irritating thing to me is Century had this pistol and had the opportunity to make it right. So they test fired it at 8 yards. That doesn't show accuracy or groupings at 25 yards. We are talking about a pistol that comes with a "match grade barrel". Anything mass produced can have a problem and I'm ok with that. It's how the manufacturer deals with the problem that matters.
So, just a fact of the day kinda thing.I believe i can safely take a shot at why they didnt go for a 75 foot shot. The average distance of a home defense shooting is 21 feet. (7 yrds) Special forces training RARELY involves 25 yrds. that would be the distance to zero the 5.56, or 30. matter of fact if is 3 yrds. I highly recommend drilling with your pistol on this target. Its an "unofficial duplicate" and printer paper is cheap. Put neon printer page behind it and wa la home made pop targets. Ill see if i can figure out how to load it in a format that you can print and use. And good luck and god bless those who do and maybe this target needs it own thread

0 x

dungbeetle

Post by dungbeetle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 am

I have also read that the cerakote process can get some in the barrel or something, and accuracy suffers until its all "shot out".
0 x

FiteNess

Post by FiteNess » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 am

@bjoshua1002 I like that target, 18 rounds with a 25 second average total run, pretty cool.
0 x
"The difference between a coward and a hero, is the direction they choose to run"

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:00 am

So, just a fact of the day kinda thing.I believe i can safely take a shot at why they didnt go for a 75 foot shot. The average distance of a home defense shooting is 21 feet. (7 yrds) Special forces training RARELY involves 25 yrds. that would be the distance to zero the 5.56, or 30. matter of fact if is 3 yrds. I highly recommend drilling with your pistol on this target. Its an "unofficial duplicate" and printer paper is cheap. Put neon printer page behind it and wa la home made pop targets. Ill see if i can figure out how to load it in a format that you can print and use. And good luck and god bless those who do and maybe this target needs it own thread

If your going to advertise "match barrel", "NATO accuracy guaranteed to 60,000 rounds", "designed to shoot 3" groups at 25 yards", then I'm going to expect it. The 1st Elite I purchased does. I have other pistols that do too. If you read through the story, I mentioned it was plenty accurate for home defense with the original barrel. It was also the most unaccurate pistol I owned too. I only purchased it because of how good the 1st one was. Good pistols shoot to point of aim. I expect to put decent groups on IDPA targets at 25 yards. At close range most pistols will look accurate, but as the distance to the target increases it magnifies everything from the pistols ability to the shooters. It's good practice.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:00 am

Crosspower wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:00 am

If your going to advertise "match barrel", "NATO accuracy guaranteed to 60,000 rounds", "designed to shoot 3" groups at 25 yards", then I'm going to expect it. The 1st Elite I purchased does. I have other pistols that do too. If you read through the story, I mentioned it was plenty accurate for home defense with the original barrel. It was also the most unaccurate pistol I owned too. I only purchased it because of how good the 1st one was. Good pistols shoot to point of aim. I expect to put decent groups on IDPA targets at 25 yards. At close range most pistols will look accurate, but as the distance to the target increases it magnifies everything from the pistols ability to the shooters. It's good practice.
Unless you have a room full of bullseye pistol trophies, firing offhand at 25 yds with dirt cheap ammo doesn't prove anything. (On second thought, even trophies wouldn't duplicate a NATO accuracy testing procedure...)

FWIW, my SFX is the most accurate pistol that I have ever owned.
0 x

Bfgloki

Post by Bfgloki » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 am

Everyone has their own levels of acceptable accuracy. When it comes to a manufacturer deciding if it’s within warranty standards it may not meet your own standards. So you have to be wary about saying a pistol or any gun is not “accurate” u less it has a specific guarantee and it can’t perform to it.
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:20 am

25 yards isn't a long shot. I used to hunt rabbits, squirrels and deer with a 686 .357 mag 6" barrel open sights, farther away than that. That's the most accurate handgun I've ever owned fyi.
"firing offhand at 25 yds with dirt cheap ammo doesn't prove anything" So you telling me if a pistol produces a nice centered group at 25 yards and another can't make a nice group and shoots a foot low it doesn't prove anything?
0 x

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 am

I used to bullseye womp rats in my T16 back home.

I think the point that people are trying to make is that unless you do everything you can to reduce/remove variables that can affect a shot, judging accuracy and also precision, is quite subjective. To me, I'm much more concerned about precision. If I can repeatably hit a spot, even if it's the wrong spot, I at least know it's precise. From there, adjustments can be made for accuracy. Much like sighting in a rifle. You wouldn't dare (I hope) try to sight in a scope by shooting off hand standing at 100 yards. Instead, you get a nice stable rest on a bench and remove as many variables as possibly. I'm a firm believer that most weapons out there can easily out-shoot the shooter. It's up to the shooter to figure out what they are doing that is making the gun shoot poorly.
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:09 am

colonel00 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 am

I think the point that people are trying to make is that unless you do everything you can to reduce/remove variables that can affect a shot, judging accuracy and also precision, is quite subjective. To me, I'm much more concerned about precision. If I can repeatably hit a spot, even if it's the wrong spot, I at least know it's precise. From there, adjustments can be made for accuracy. Much like sighting in a rifle. You wouldn't dare (I hope) try to sight in a scope by shooting off hand standing at 100 yards. Instead, you get a nice stable rest on a bench and remove as many variables as possibly. I'm a firm believer that most weapons out there can easily out-shoot the shooter. It's up to the shooter to figure out what they are doing that is making the gun shoot poorly.
I do understand your point. And yes I zero scopes from a rest so it shoots to point of aim at the distance I want. If you recall I did use a rest once and the groups were in fact very similar to offhand groups.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Crosspower wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:09 am
colonel00 wrote:

I do understand your point. And yes I zero scopes from a rest so it shoots to point of aim at the distance I want. If you recall I did use a rest once and the groups were in fact very similar to offhand groups.
Actually, neither addressed my point. I would think that a NATO certification would require firing from a Ransom Rest or some other mechanical, repeatable method, not even a bench rest. Just like the 60K round test, it would only apply to NATO ammo and under specific test conditions. Any variation from that specific set of criteria would produce meaningless results.
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Shooting offhand shows your accuracy with that pistol. You can put a gritty 12lb trigger in a ransom rest with no negative effect on accuracy.
So if I fire Elite 1 with my dirt cheap ammo and I put a nice group at point of aim and fire Elite 2 exactly the same and the groups are repeatedly low and right that proves nothing hugh?
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:13 pm

colonel00 wrote:
You never hunted with a pistol?
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Crosspower wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:11 pm
Shooting offhand shows your accuracy with that pistol. You can put a gritty 12lb trigger in a ransom rest with no negative effect on accuracy.
So if I fire Elite 1 with my dirt cheap ammo and I put a nice group at point of aim and fire Elite 2 exactly the same and the groups are repeatedly low and right that proves nothing hugh?
It does nothing to prove the NATO certification process was inaccurate.

I don't have the details of the process, so I can't even say if sights are supposed to be zero'd at 25 yards. The claim is a 3" group, which is a precision metric, not an accuracy metric. It could be that sight adjustments are not as critical as the group size as they can be easily adjusted.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Crosspower wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:13 pm
colonel00 wrote:
You never hunted with a pistol?
BTW, I know that one of you weren't serious (although seriously funny...) and hopefully both of you weren't serious...
1 x

tucker03

Post by tucker03 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I think alot of this is like moving or living in a small town. Once the word gets out, that this is an "awesome" place to live, the population overflows the fiscal infrastructure. Caniks just exploded over the past year or two, mostly over the last year since they opened up so many models. Give them a chance to catch up, don't be so hard on them. There is alot of red tape firearm manufacturers have to go thru just to stay in business, and production. Give em some slack, and rely on your buddies here, and elsewhere to advance your needs. I'm sure they will catch up. Don't slap the hand that feeds you. Pretty soon that hand might not feed you. In other words, the squeaky wheel prolly won't see the grease. Be diplomatic, and help them help you Jerry!
0 x