New TP9sfx Owner

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
free_bawler

New TP9sfx Owner

Post by free_bawler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:36 pm

So after doing my research and firing a TP9sfx a fellow squad member owned at the range two weekends ago, I broke down and purchased a new Canik TP9sfx from a reputable online source. I took it to the range the next day and loaded the first 20 rd magazine with Federal 115 gr RN ammo. Nearly every one resulted in a FTE - stovepipe. I started to wonder if I just made a huge mistake. My buddy who was there also assured me it was just because the gun was new and I should keep feeding it. Sure enough, half way through the second magazine, the casings started flying out as intended. From that point on, I didn't have any more FTEs. But after only 4 magazines, I field stripped the gun and started to wipe it down with a light coat of lubricant and I noticed the gun was VERY dirty. It looked like carbon but none of my Smith and Wessons ever got THAT dirty from only 50 - 75 rounds. It made me wonder, was this gun delivered NEW in this condition. Does anyone else have any experience purchasing a new Canik finding it extremely dirty upon arrival?

BTW - New member here, glad to meet you all! :-H
0 x

GaDawg0513

Re: New TP9sfx Owner

Post by GaDawg0513 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 pm

I started the break in on my sfx with 115 grain & had a few FTE on the first mag. Switched to 124 grain and no problems. Going to keep with the 124 grain for at least the first 500. Mine wasn't that dirty after shooting. In my experience how clean or dirty a gun gets is usually dependant on the ammo. I also think the stock spring is too much and will be swapping to a springco in the next week or two.
1 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm

In my experience how clean or dirty a gun gets is usually dependant on the ammo.
Thanks for the reply GaDawg0513. I agree with your statement, but I've never felt like Federal ammo ran that dirty so I was curious if the gun was perhaps delivered dirty. I just gave her a good cleaning so I'll have to see how dirty she is after my next range visit.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:59 pm

free_bawler wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:36 pm
It made me wonder, was this gun delivered NEW in this condition. Does anyone else have any experience purchasing a new Canik finding it extremely dirty upon arrival?

BTW - New member here, glad to meet you all! :-H
Welcome aboard!

That is why I never shoot a gun right out of the box. I always strip it down, clean, inspect and lube it. This way you know exactly what you're starting with. Mine had a little carbon indicating it was at least test fired, I wouldn't say it was dirty.

You certainly didn't make a mistake with the SFx, they're a great shooting gun and loads of fun to tinker with!
2 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks GlennSFX. I did lube the slide rails and specific points on the barrel before I fired it, but I didn't clean it. I guess I should clarify that the gun wasn't "extremely dirty", but the white rag certainly pulled some carbon off the barrel which made me think the same thing - perhaps the gun was test fired before distribution.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 pm

free_bawler wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:36 pm
I field stripped the gun and started to wipe it down with a light coat of lubricant and I noticed the gun was VERY dirty. It looked like carbon but none of my Smith and Wessons ever got THAT dirty
Sniff. sniff.... Another M&P fan.

Welcome aboard. As they said in the commercial, "Try it! You'll like it!"

And with the "normal" upgrades to the SFx little inner parts (that's official gun speak) it gets better and better.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Post by Retiredtrooper » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:21 pm

You wanna see DIRTY????? Shoot some Aguila or Winchester NATO 124's. After a match I practically have to chisel the carbon off my feed ramp with the NATO rounds. That stuff is nasty. However, it's very accurate so I just overlook the dirt.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:21 pm

Agree, Winchester NATO makes me dislike cleaning my guns more than normal. Black as coal, but fires quite well.

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often And Train Safe"

Bchasse99
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 351

Post by Bchasse99 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:27 am

As the LT and Glenn mentioned, the SFX is a very nice budget race gun. If you shoot it for Competition or even just at the range.. you can certainly customize this gun for very little money. From reduced power recoil assembly/springs, cajun plunger spring, newton striker springs, freedom smith racer trigger, +4 magwells, custom grips, and then reload your own ammo to get it running how you want it.. As I think Glenn does and maybe the LT, we reload ... me I reload either Gallant Bullets or Black Bullet International in 147 grain using Hodgon Titegroup with 3.2 grains give or take for my match rounds.. runs like a champ.. But.. as everyone has said, for break in stock out of the box... run 124 Grain NATO for a few hundred rounds.. it should loosen up.
0 x
Brian Chasse
U.S Air Force , SMSgt (Ret)