SSISATR

Discussion Section for All Off Topics Subjects.
Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

SSISATR

Post by Tejas Products » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:14 pm

As Promised... I am starting my SSISATR thread... (STUPID STUFF I SEE AT THE RANGE) (FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN STORIES)

Today.... Lady shooting up the ceiling... Had to give guy 2 large bandaids due to slide bite.... I didn't catch him in time and show him not to cross his thumbs behind the slide....

Sorry, first post is a bit low key... Been on my feet all day at the range and I'm exhausted....
0 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: SSISATR

Post by colonel00 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:32 pm

No pics, didn't happen :)
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:37 pm

colonel00 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:32 pm
No pics, didn't happen :)
LOL... Yea.. Manager would have my butt if I pulled my phone out while on the range... I do a 4 - 5 hour shift 3 - 5 days per week.. They break up your shift into 1 - 2 hour increments... 2 hours RSO, 2 hours sales counter, 1 hour Range check in... Yada, yada..... When RSO no sitting, no cameras, etc.... Eyes on the shooters....
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:29 pm

On my last ship I was the Combat Systems Officer, all the Gunner's mates worked for me so I oversaw all weapons movements and weapons training.

We were at sea doing small arms familiarization. We were standing on the flight deck, 25 feet from the targets set at normal people's heights. Each sailor was given a 45 cal and two mags with five rounds per mag. Range commands were given, "lock & load", yada-yada-yada, on the "commence fire" command I observed a young sailor hit the flight deck with the first three rounds! I walked over and took (forcefully) the firearm from them and told them to leave the flight deck. That sailor was not allowed to touch a firearm again.

The End.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:32 pm

When teaching a new pistol shooter it is almost guaranteed that after a few minutes of shooting one or both thumbs/webs will end up behind the slide. I have to keep an eye that more than anything else so that they don't get hurt.
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:22 am

My mother-in-law keeps trying to cross her thumbs behind the grip of her P238. Several times, I've had to stop her to correct her grip. She had never shot handguns before, so it's not like she's used to shooting a revolver with that grip. No idea where she gets that from. She's gonna end up with some bad slide bite someday.

Scariest event: a family member forgot to chamber a round, stepped to the line, squeezed the trigger, and 'click'. Puzzled as to why the pistol did not fire, he proceeded to chamber a round, then examined the pistol. With the muzzle in his left hand and his finger ON THE TRIGGER. I grabbed his hand and physically pointed the pistol in a safe direction, and we had to discuss what he did wrong. This is one person who I strongly believe has no business owning a handgun.
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Not at the range, but at the admin desk for a secure facility:

Visiting LEO presents at the desk and shows credentials. I advised "if you can remove your weapon and holster together, place the holstered weapon on the counter. If not, stand by for further instruction." This guy proceeds to pull his unholstered Hi-Power out of his murse (yes, man-purse=murse) and lay it on the counter, pointed right at me.
Me: *pushing the muzzle toward the wall* "Sir, put it back in the holster."
Him: "I don't have a holster."
Me: "Sir, leave the weapon on the counter and take a step back. I'll be with you in a second."

It went downhill from there. There was much hilarity and hijinks as he tried to clear and make safe. Once he was done trying to shoot me and half my staff, I placed the pistol, the magazine, and the once-chambered round into a mylar evidence bag before storing them in the locker. When he returned, he was given the bag and strict instructions not to open it until he was clear of the facility. Not just in his vehicle, but clear of the facility.

Ah, good times.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:58 pm

Lgaam wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:54 pm
Not at the range, but at the admin desk for a secure facility:.......
Oh lord..... :ymapplause:
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Lgaam » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:58 pm
Lgaam wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:54 pm
Not at the range, but at the admin desk for a secure facility:.......
Oh lord..... :ymapplause:
Thank you.

I've also had a Federal Agent disassemble his G19, pocket the barrel, and secure the remainder of the weapon in the locker.

A state officer from [REDACTDED] "cleared" his weapon. Instead of showing safe and placing it on the desk, he dropped the slide and ND'd sand from the clear bucket over most of the office. #:-S Mayhem and disorder subsided. We handed him his safed and bagged firearm and politely asked him to go away as we made contact with his Lt back in [still redacted].
1 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:21 am

My buddy is the range officer for a local PD. He oversees all of the training and qualifications. The stories he tells me are astounding. Definitely evidence for more funding and training, not less.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:44 pm

I had RSO duty today for 2 hours... In that time probably 20 shooters on the range... More than half new shooters... Some by themselves and some with a experienced buddy.... LOTS of women shooters.. Young and Old....
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:44 pm
LOTS of women shooters
Be prepared to "nicely" and "politely" explain to some shoots how a low cut or V-neck blouse is not safe on the line. Being an RSO at an outdoor range without station dividers, it is a frequent discussion. I have never had any female shooters get mad at me for having the talk with them. I've had a couple of them thank me later for saving them some burns after having cases bounce off of what was then covered.
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Bigmaico

Post by Bigmaico » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:15 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm
Tejas Products wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:44 pm
LOTS of women shooters
Be prepared to "nicely" and "politely" explain to some shoots how a low cut or V-neck blouse is not safe on the line. Being an RSO at an outdoor range without station dividers, it is a frequent discussion. I have never had any female shooters get mad at me for having the talk with them. I've had a couple of them thank me later for saving them some burns after having cases bounce off of what was then covered.
Working as the RSO about 20 years ago, told a good looking lady the she might want to grab my light weight wind breaker to keep the hot brass out of her v neck sweater.

She refused my offer & said she would be alright, she shot her little gun for a bit & then picked up a Colt 1911 45 & proceeded to double tap a pair of cases right into her bra.

You should have seen the dance she did trying to get the hot brass out of her bra, not funny then but now I can laugh about it.
0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:48 pm

The scary thing is what people do with the live weapon when they get hot brass in the collar, bra, sandal, etc. All of the sudden, that gun points in all sorts of unsafe directions including the at the shooter themself.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Lgaam » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:36 am

colonel00 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:48 pm
The scary thing is what people do with the live weapon when they get hot brass in the collar, bra, sandal, etc. All of the sudden, that gun points in all sorts of unsafe directions including the at the shooter themself.
During my last range trip, I caught 2 casings from my AR that bounced off the divider and into my collar. I thumbed the safety and dropped the barrel against the tray while trying to get the casings out. Once I stopped dancing, I turned around to see the RSO right behind me. He gave me a raised eyebrow with a thumbs up. I nodded. He slow clapped. I moved to the left side of the stall and continued the course of fire.

I ended up with 2 perfect .223 casing shaped 2nd-degree burns right at the collar line. That made for an awesome week at work.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:54 am

This past Sunday I RSO'ed at the outdoor range on the rifle line. Due to hunting season, we were PACKED!

I was going thought the PA announcements to get the line cold. Once we announce it, we go inspect every firearm to ensure it's cleared and locked open before we let folks go down range.

Father and son were in the last lane. As I walked towards them father stood up grabbed the bolt-action rifle spun about 120 degrees to port (to the left for you non sailors) and started to pull the bolt back. I howled at him to freeze and turn up-range; he looked at me and without thinking (really?!) completed running the bolt to the rear and a full round clattered to the deck. Wholly crap!

Needless to say we had a little chat after I completed safety checking all the other firearms. I didn't embarrass him in front of his son, but I re-explained the rules of gun safety to them.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image