header logo

Canik-Gear-Banner2 W74-Guiderods4 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
Under Construction Please be Patient
Discussion Section for All Off Topics Subjects.
Guns and ammo seem kinda scarce. For some it means scaling back on range time. Anyone taken on something new or finally started in on a hobby they were wanting to try?

For me, I’d wanted to get into kayaking. Living where I do in Western Washington, large streams, small and large lakes, semi-open water of the Puget Sound and coastal water offers a lot of paddling possibilities.

Seems a lot of folks Felt the same as I did, as, kayaks and canoes are almost as hard to find as guns and ammo around here. But I finally found a deal in a couple used boats. I have enjoyed early morning time on the lake near my house before the jet skis and motorized boaters hit the water. I tuck back in some of the water with submerged trees where the motor boats can’t go. It’s kind of like nature hiking from the water. Misty mornings and water like glass offer some moments I don’t find on Hiking trails.

I wouldn't say a new hobby, but we were on the fence for a long time on whether or not to buy a new motorhome... With CV disrupting travel we went ahead and bit the bullet... and believe me.. that's a whole hobby into itself....
Not so much any new hobbies here. My life has been pretty much unchanged from all the mess. My job has remained steady and I'm just as busy as I normally would be with stuff around the house. I did buy the reloading press early on, but without primers being available, not much more I can do with that. And summer has finally hit, so it's not real pleasant outside anyway.

I would really like to get into the kayaking though, I love outdoors, boats, and being on the water. I bought a used (cheap) Wal Mart kayak a few years back hoping to use it for running lines out surf fishing in the gulf. Unfortunately the 10' kayak was a bit short for my 6' height, even in ideal conditions. Add in trying to plow through waves, and it was even worse. Ended up being like trying to paddle a bathtub. Ultimately, I realised I would need a good 12' ocean kayak, and I can't afford that for now. Especially for something I'd use maybe once a year.
Bing-watching tv.
Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, CBS All Access, and Disney Plus- I have watched just about everything worth watching. And some of it a several times. Just cancelled Hulu and CBS....it will end 8/23. Only thing I have left to watch is Star Trek Discovery, I'm almost through with season 1, then there is 2- and thats it.

So........what's next for me? Don't know....I can not stand to read- so that's out. We did a garden this year....1st one in 25 years. I really don't want to do that again. I'm ready for something.
I have a small garden... Got a late start planting things though. Planted some pinto beans, watermelons, and bell peppers.
I think I harvested about half as many pintos as I planted. Of all the watermelon seeds I planted I only had a single plant sprout; it's been spindly, hasn't put on any fruit, but it won't die. Bell peppers are the only thing doing well! Slow getting started, but they are putting on well, with some really nice sized peppers!
it's kinda funny you mention new hobby... =))

this IS my new hobby/sport, since January/February!!...long before the looming zombie apocalypse hit us.

I got into shooting because i had always wanted to, but was always too busy to do so. (with work, family, taking care of the upkeep/repairs of the house, etc, so no time for me)... :cry:

so since i am retired, i was given a fish tank...no fish of course........and i am frankly sick and tired of that, I NEVER WANTED ANY DARNED FISH...... i get no enjoyment out of cleaning the fish tank, and remembering to feed them.

i look so forward to my once a week (sometimes twice a week) range visits, and shooting up some targets, where of course, each time, i just get better at it.

i actually look forward to cleaning the gun(s) after a range run, than you could imagine. at least, i know, that my well cleaned and lubed guns will be, should be dependable.

as for the fish tank..??

meh.......feed'em, clean, and not really even looking in the direction of the tank, most times.
I didn't get laid off or get to work from home, so it's business as usual for me. I have more hobbies than I have time for as it is. Guns, fishing, canoe/kayaking, skateboarding.... I did pick up a single stage reloading press earlier this year, but it was pre Covid. My original intent was to learn the craft making small batches for my harder to feed firearms(35 Rem, 8mm), then once I had some experience, branching out into the more common calibers. Unfortunately components are almost as hard to find as ammo is. I don't have the dies or materials for 9mm, 380acp, or 223/5.56 and those are the hard ammunitions to get now.😞

Does a honey-do list count? The rest of the household forgets I have a full time job.
ShooterMcGavin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:34 pm I didn't get laid off or get to work from home, so it's business as usual for me. I have more hobbies than I have time for as it is. Guns, fishing, canoe/kayaking, skateboarding.... I did pick up a single stage reloading press earlier this year, but it was pre Covid. My original intent was to learn the craft making small batches for my harder to feed firearms(35 Rem, 8mm), then once I had some experience, branching out into the more common calibers. Unfortunately components are almost as hard to find as ammo is. I don't have the dies or materials for 9mm, 380acp, or 223/5.56 and those are the hard ammunitions to get now.😞

Does a honey-do list count? The rest of the household forgets I have a full time job.
this is why i have not yet bought anything reloading related, not even any books to read up on it.

every place i look for a machine, i can get the machine in many situations, but not the dies, they are back ordered.

i can wait, and in the mean time, continue to save as much brass as i can.
Zardos wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:22 pm Not so much got into a new one but got back into and old one. Home Audio and listening to music, even got some new gear and built a couple of subs.
i haven't had a home audio system since i was in my 20's, so that nearly 50 years ago now.

and of course, superphonic, quadraphonic, was the "in thing" back then.....lol =))
LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:19 am
SSGNDoc wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:32 am End of day stress melting paddle on the Hood Canal.
Make sure surfaces = dives
So far the ratio is equal (0:0). As I was fond of telling guys in the skimmer Navy, “All boats can dive once, submarines are designed to come back up”.

This boat does at least have fore and aft bulkheads to make watertight compartments for buoyancy. Lots of new kayakers around this year, and many take some pretty questionable boats into open water.

I picked my kayaks for the water I was likely to paddle (lakes and near shore open water and maybe slow rivers). I could see possibly trying to cross the canal on a good day, but gotta be mindful of tides and winds.

I just played around close to the eastern shore a Messed around in this cove for a while. Got the attention of a harbor seal, but he never got close enough for a good picture.

But the water and tides were right, and the week was a weird and stressful one at work. I needed the quiet time on the water.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]