Fourm - Facebook - Social Media

Discussion Section for All Off Topics Subjects.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Curious everyone's thoughts on the different platforms available in this day and age, and why you choose the platforms you use. Several people won't use a social site such as FB, while others on FB won't use an "old school" forum such as this one. I personally prefer the forum style to social media. For one, there's more anonymity, and for two, it seems like responses are more thought out and courteous. Also, with a forum such as this, it's much easier to find and archive information, unlike social media where a post get's shoved down a page rather quickly. And though we have over 9,000 members in our FB group compared to the numbers here, this forum still gets over 1000 unique visitors a day. It has it's ups and downs, but that has been the average number.

I also think a forum such as this is a much safer environment to discuss guns and other things that are frowned upon on most social media platforms. We all know Liberals have an anti-gun agenda, and will do whatever they can to eliminate the 2nd Amendment. With our own stand-alone forum, we're free to discuss and share without fear of reprisal. Of course, as long as it's legal, which gun ownership is here in America. We do have a MeWe page which is a social media platform, and more gun friendly than FB, but in the end, I think a forum such as this will be the last line where we as legal gun owners and supporters of our constitutional rights will be able to discuss and exchange information freely without fear of reprisal.

On a side note, for those who don't care for FB, join our page on MeWe, just in case (and I'm praying not) the forum is ever off-line again. Here's the link if you're not on there already.
https://mewe.com/join/canik_fanatik

Share your thoughts and let me know what you think? Feedback from the community is important and let's us know where to focus our energy to improve this forum and our social media outreach.
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

I'm old school I prefer the forum type style, its what I've always been use to going back to usenet and bbs days. I'm on the FB group and occasionally post when something interesting pops up top but I dont scroll throught it all, I mostly use FB for the messenger to keep in contact with a few old friends. Agree it feels 'safer' on forums have to worry less about what I post, have friends who've been banned off FB over posting meme's that hurt the feelings of the FB Stasi
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

This forum and FB with a group of <100 mostly old Navy buddies, other bikers and family. FB is what it is and the genie is out of the bottle on how they have been buying and selling our data.

No Twitter, Snap Chat or any of that crap. I leave that to my nieces and nephews.

My wife is even better; she has a flip phone and nothing else. Couldn't get on the internet if she needed. She's just not interested.
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
Flingit1200s

I'm happy with the forum format and would not be a member if it was on something like Facebook.
runeight
Founding Member #: 198

LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:57 pm This forum and FB with a group of <100 mostly old Navy buddies, other bikers and family. FB is what it is and the genie is out of the bottle on how they have been buying and selling our data.

No Twitter, Snap Chat or any of that crap. I leave that to my nieces and nephews.

My wife is even better; she has a flip phone and nothing else. Couldn't get on the internet if she needed. She's just not interested.
Plus one.
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Just say no to all of them.

If the forum goes down again, please just post updates on the website.
Janik
Staff Member

ncjw wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:32 pm Just say no to all of them.

If the forum goes down again, please just post updates on the website.
I can do that. But hopefully we learned our lesson about updating the forum and will be better prepared next time we update.
DWARREN123

I use the forum, don't use anything else, just me.
Shut up and Reload!
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Always like the forum format. On a few regarding guns, Jeeps and climbing/hiking. Rarely on FB, I think I'm up to 30ish family and friends.

Software updates never go as planned! I deal with that crap all the time. I always install and verify them on "test systems" in a virtual environment. Easier to manage.
Janik
Staff Member

GlennSFX wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:46 am Always like the forum format. On a few regarding guns, Jeeps and climbing/hiking. Rarely on FB, I think I'm up to 30ish family and friends.

Software updates never go as planned! I deal with that crap all the time. I always install and verify them on "test systems" in a virtual environment. Easier to manage.
We're looking at adding a mirrored test site for future updates. If we can test the update first and verify all is good, that will help us out tremendously.
keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

No FB, Snapchat, Twitter, etc.

Just the forum, I'm not on ANY of the social network sites (voluntary data mining and advertising platforms). When the forum was offline, I tried checking the FB page for updates, but since it was locked, I couldn't see anything anyway.
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Forum fan, and take no part in social media.
Quite happy I found this forum, and its link to LimaCharlieUSA.

Neil 8-)
"I fear not the man who's practiced one thousand kicks once, I fear the man who's practiced one kick a thousand times" Bruce Lee
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO/PPITH/PPOTH