Red Army ammo?

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
buddyd157

hi guys, hope this is a quick subject.

i went to the range tuesday, and shot off 50 rds of my S&B ammo.

when i am done, i sweep up my brass (and any other brass in my area), bag it, and take it home, for reloading when i get my equipment.

so, i was just sorting out the 9MM from the 22, to the .40 calibers that i had swept up, and as i was separating the cases, i came across 2 Red Army brass cases.

now, i did a google search, and see where Century Arms (the Canik distributor) deals with this ammo as well.

(Red Army Standard Ammunition is a trademark associated with Century International Arms (CIA), an arms and ammunition corporation in Delray Beach, Florida, United States.)

however, is anyone familiar with the case thickness (i have no measuring tools yet) as to whether or not this brass is reloadable?

that's about it, at least the ammo is coming from .

as i only have 2 spent cartridges, it's no trouble to toss them into my junk brass pail......if they are not up to standards of reloading

thanks in advance

buddy
GOA and NRA member... **==
Canik TP 9 SF
Ben W.

I haven't seen any, but I can think of 3 things. 1, if its Berdan primed, pitch it. You can tell by looking inside; one hole in center is ok; two holes offset from center is pitch. #2, is there a "step" inside the case? Some cartridges like MaxxTech (I think), have this extra material that I've heard is there to prevent setback in full auto weapons. You can see it easily when you look into the case. #3, brass plated steel cases. Try a magnet on it. If there is no reaction (watch for steel in the primers, though, that's normal), they should be good for reloading. Any more questions, just ask. If we don't know the answer, we'll make one up for you at no extra charge.....
buddyd157

Ben W. wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:59 pm I haven't seen any, but I can think of 3 things. 1, if its Berdan primed, pitch it. You can tell by looking inside; one hole in center is ok; two holes offset from center is pitch. #2, is there a "step" inside the case? Some cartridges like MaxxTech (I think), have this extra material that I've heard is there to prevent setback in full auto weapons. You can see it easily when you look into the case. #3, brass plated steel cases. Try a magnet on it. If there is no reaction (watch for steel in the primers, though, that's normal), they should be good for reloading. Any more questions, just ask. If we don't know the answer, we'll make one up for you at no extra charge.....
1) looks like an ordinary (boxer) primer, as i only see one hole inside the case.

2) i see no step inside

3) my magnet does not stick to the case

oh and yeah, i'll have many more questions in the future, thanks!

:-BD
Canik TP 9 SF
higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Ben W. wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:59 pm .... Any more questions, just ask. If we don't know the answer, we'll make one up for you at no extra charge.....
:)) :)) :)) now, that's kinda funny....
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

I've never run into once-shot 9mm brass that wasn't reloadable.

We use a sliding scale, the more questions asked, the more per answer. Especially is you want the correct answer. :d
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
reloader762

The Red Army Standard 9 mm brass case ammo is mfg. in the Czech Republic most likely by S & B.

buddyd157

reloader762 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:17 am The Red Army Standard 9 mm brass case ammo is mfg. in the Czech Republic most likely by S & B.

yeah, i cannot say that i know who makes what,(meaning, i do not know all the brands of ammo, and who makes it under a different label) but i do know that my czech built CZ 75B, would eat it up.

i just never saw "Red Army" ammo in my past sweeping ups of the spent casings, that i am taking home.
Canik TP 9 SF