Went into Dicks Sporting Goods today for ammo

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Well, I haven't been in a Dicks Sporting Goods in years, but I held my nose and went in today after a fried reported the shelves were stocked full of ammo. Actually, it's their Field and Stream store, but it's still part of Dicks. Anyway, I held my nose, asked the Lord to forgive me, and I went in to buy some ammo. No 9mm to be found of course, but the shelves were pretty full of everything else. 40cal, 308, 30-30, .357, 44mag, etc. I grabbed a couple boxes of 22lr and a box of 30-30, paid, and got the heck out of there. Lately I've been primarily plinking with my Taurus TX22, so I figure why not get some more 22lr. After all, you can never have enough ammo. Just sucks that Dicks is the only game in town with ammo on the shelves. And we all know it's virtually impossible to find online. And when you do, prices are ridiculous. Wasn't the best prices at Dicks, but the Aguila was a little under .06 cents a round. And the Federal bulk pack I grabbed was a tad over .06 per round. So not horrible pricing, but still more than it was during the last couple years. The 30-30 was a couple bucks more than I normally pay, but never hurts to have another box on hand.

I swore after the crap Dicks pulled a few years ago that I'd never step foot in their store again. Guess I had to pay the Devil his dues and shop there. Anyone else stepping foot back in a store that they swore off in the past? During times like these, I guess we have to shop wherever we can get it, if it's something we want/need.
IMG_5462s.jpg
IMG_5462s.jpg (164.25 KiB) Viewed 753 times
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Not me! But, in full disclosure, the closest one to me is closed. b-)
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Nope!

But I'm sure you came out to find the back of your car covered with Biden2020 stickers?
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)
Janik
Staff Member

keltex78 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:05 pm Nope!

But I'm sure you came out to find the back of your car covered with Biden2020 stickers?
LOL, thankfully no. My wife wore her Trump 2020 hat into the store though.
Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

NOPE, NO, NADA, NEIN, NYET
Texas License To Carry Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories
redscreen

I tried applying at my local one (hey, everyone needs a job these days). They said you had to be able to qualify for the firearms sales blah, blah thingy. The funny thing is there isn't a Dicks within 500-1000 miles that sells firearms anymore.
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

nah not that hard up for any ammo I still have ammo cans of .22lr could use more 9, 45 and 5.56 but not that desperate can hold off til fairly priced stuff comes in online.
Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I will not even enter the store, neither Dick's nor Field & Stream.
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra
buddyd157

don't plan on that store to have ammo forever, or hunting gear either..... ^#(^

all the Dick's stores up here in my part of the country, cleared out all such items.

not even bow/arrows.....

they claim here, that they have bigger demands for crap like, canoes, and other water sports.

enjoy what you can get now.

you can ask anyone at that store, specifically the manager or regional stores manager for the longevity of anything shooting/hunting.

maybe it's just a regional thing.
GOA and NRA member... **==
Canik TP 9 SF
RWIG
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Janik wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:41 pm Well, I haven't been in a Dicks Sporting Goods in years, but I held my nose and went in today after a fried reported the shelves were stocked full of ammo. Actually, it's their Field and Stream store, but it's still part of Dicks.
IMG_5462s.jpg
Your lucky to have a Field & Stream store, because the regular Dicks sporting goods have stopped selling all firearms and ammunition.
Janik
Staff Member

RWIG wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:19 pm Your lucky to have a Field & Stream store, because the regular Dicks sporting goods have stopped selling all firearms and ammunition.
Ahh, so that's probably why the post above yours mentioned no guns and ammo. So I guess it's in the Field and Stream stores only.
Janik
Staff Member

buddyd157 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:30 am all the Dick's stores up here in my part of the country, cleared out all such items.
I hope the Field and Stream continues to sell ammo. We don't have a lot of options in my neck of the woods. I really wish we could get a Cabelas, Academy or Bass Pro. But I'm sure our area is too small for a store like that.
Janik
Staff Member

Today the Field and Stream had rows of 9mm in stock. So my wife ran over there for me and bought a few boxes. I guess I'm a sinner. I'll take what I can get wherever I can get it. My reserves are pretty good, but I like to shoot a lot. And for a decent price, I'll restock from wherever I can get it right now. I really wish the smaller gun shops in my area could get ammo. I'd much rather support them.
BentAero

I will conserve ammo to the point I stop shooting before I ever spend a dime at Dick's/Field & Stream.

Their leadership is hard-core anti-2nd amendment and uses a portion of their profits to advance Liberal gun control legislation. It's unconscionable for anyone who values their right to keep and bear arms to give those bastards any help in taking that away. Might as well donate to Bloomberg's "Gun Safety" club, too...

Not only no, but hell no.

Off soapbox.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Bass Pro and Cabelas around here never have any 9mm and the LGS's are all bought into the $30 per box concept.
buddyd157

Janik wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:39 pm
buddyd157 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:30 am all the Dick's stores up here in my part of the country, cleared out all such items.
I hope the Field and Stream continues to sell ammo. We don't have a lot of options in my neck of the woods. I really wish we could get a Cabelas, Academy or Bass Pro. But I'm sure our area is too small for a store like that.
we do not have a field and stream, or academy here, but we do have cabelas and bass pro.

of course, many stores not in my area, at least have online sales.
GOA and NRA member... **==
Canik TP 9 SF
Janik
Staff Member

BentAero wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:12 pm and uses a portion of their profits to advance Liberal gun control legislation.
Wasn't aware of that. I quit going to Dick's when they pulled all the AR's off the shelves and cancelled orders a few years ago. Haven't heard about them using their funds to contribute to anti-2A legislation. If that's true, that's really disappointing.
Janik
Staff Member

buddyd157 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 am but we do have cabelas and bass pro.
How has their ammo available been? Nearest Bass Pro for me is almost 3 hours away.
TexasJackKin

Not spending any money at Dick's...Not a dime! The trick is to be well stocked up, and not let yourself get that desperate..... I reload everything I shoot, and that helps, but for non reloaders, the adage of buy it cheap, and stack it deep applies.... (same with reloading components)
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ & CA
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Janik wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:01 am
buddyd157 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 am but we do have cabelas and bass pro.
How has their ammo available been? Nearest Bass Pro for me is almost 3 hours away.
Pretty weak from what I've seen. My Cabela's (Kansas City) hasn't had anything really in months. Every now and again they might get in some 9mm but it's pricey. The Bass Pro on the Kansas side has also been out of everything. I've heard if you go on the day the truck comes in you might be able to get some but I'm not playing the "Black Friday" mob game.

Currently in Spokane, WA and nothing up here either. The Cabela's did have a bunch of .22 LR but that was it. Sportsman's Warehouse is also out of everything.