Thinking About Getting Into Reloading, Any Suggestions?

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
ncjw

Re: Thinking About Getting Into Reloading, Any Suggestions?

Post by ncjw » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:18 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:44 am
Us retirees have waaaaay to much spare time.
100%. I am sorta-semi-retired and already have way too much time.

(Remember how when we were young we used to joke about the old farts who were R.I.P. (Retired in Place)? Now that I am pretty much at that point in my career I have no problem with it. I just survived the latest round of layoffs and by the time the next one comes around I probably won't care.)
1 x

sgschwend

Post by sgschwend » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:43 pm

My per unit 9 mm cost runs between 10 - 11 cents each.
The highest adder is the bullet at around 7 cents each. I use Blue Bullets which uses a coating to keep the barrel clean and is a hardened lead alloy.
A pound of powder last for 1500 rounds hence about 1 cent for each, would be half that cost for 124 gr bullet.

I shoot about 2,000 rounds of 9mm each year which doesn't take long using a single stage press, as said by others a used press can be a good bargain.
I like the ultrasonic/soap solution method for cleaning casings.

As a minimum be sure and obtain 1) "ammo gauge",the gauge can measure the casing and also the finished ammo throughout the reloading process, 2) calipers, and 3) a gram/powder scale. I also use a power dispenser, my press installs primers most folks use a hand held unit instead, the hand held adds a step but it is less likely to crush the primer which distorts the bottom of the casing.

The experienced reloading folks I know recommend learning on a single stage press first. If you decide to reload I think you will see why this is a good way to go.
1 x
Ruger Mark IV 22/45
Rossi RS22 Rifle
Canik TP9SF

varmint

Post by varmint » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 am

Just depends on what volume you shoot or think you will, not being negative but 2000 9's a year to me would not justify loading and casting, not even counting the 45 acp, my favorite. Break that down to a month or less and you have an entirely different issue. Just depends on how much you wish to shoot or do so, do you shoot matches?
Processing wet tumbled cases sure takes longer with drying factored in. Back to just how much ammo you wish to shoot or do. Casting sure will lower your cost a lot, we load about .04 each, 22 rimfire cost or close to it. All the above to me would not be justified at 2000 rounds a year, Grab a Gun runs 9's at about $7 box very often (brass cased). Academy not far from that.
Last edited by varmint on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RWIG
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RWIG » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 am

I try to get to the range at least once a week for recreational shooting and at least twice a month for local USPSA matches. It is very easy to burn through a couple of hundred rounds during an hour or hour and a half range visit, especially when you get into a zone (which happens often shooting a Canik). Currently, I am constantly viewing the sales flyer from Academy looking for that magic .16 per round sale for brass cased rounds, then I will buy between 500 and 1000 rounds. When I stack those boxes of ammo in the safe it makes me smile, but then after a few weeks the pile looks a lot smaller and I am like I need to stock pile more ammo.

I think it would be nice to stockpile bullets, primers, and powder so when I start running low on ammo, I can just sit at my work bench and make some more. Plus as far as hobbies go, the time to master the art of reloading is appealing to me, having plenty of ammo to shoot is a bonus. Plus this is a hobby I don't see dying out in the future. I wish I could just snap my fingers and turn my old Ham radio equipment into reloading equipment :-D
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Love reloading and looking at the finished product, the mud on mud on more mud here had really hurt our shooting and matches especially if Sat's is cancelled again for more mud, it will be I am 99% sure. Primers are a very good investment to make, just watch the ads like I do also check Grab A Gun regularly. Pick a place local to avoid shipping and fees. Loading is something we learn as we go or I did, A progressive press and a reloader friend to walk you through it is the way to go. Don't be shy there! I remember well all the calls I made asking questions very well..
0 x

lewmed

Post by lewmed » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:43 pm

If you are new to reloading you can't go wrong with a Lee Classic turret press and it's not a lot of money. The Lee loadmaster is a fickle beast one day it's pumping out ammo as fast as you can pull the handle the next day it will jamb every other round I have two of them each set for just one cartridge and a third for parts you will need parts. I also have a Dillon XL 650 with electric case feeder that loads about 650 rounds per hour for all my small primer pistol cartridges it hasn't missed a lick in over 20 years. If a part breaks I call Dillon and the part is replaced with Dillon's life time no BS warranty.
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:39 am

So any new loaders on board yet? You will be glad you started I promise.
Just do it!
Same as for gun buying get something others also will want as you will not take a hit when you upgrade, cant beat Dillion these days for all the above.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:09 pm

I started reloading 9mm last year with a Lee Turret Press I had for reloading .223. It was cheap enough to get the dies and try it. Savings on reloading subsonic coated was significant over the Federal Syntech. My cost per round breaks down as follows...

8# Alliant Sport Pistol...$167.90
167.90/(8x(7000g/#)/3.3) = 0.01

2500 145g ACME coated bullets...$176.00
176/2500 = 0.07

4000 9mm cleaned brass...$122
122/4000 = 0.3

With my own range brass, 8 cents a round. $80/1000
With purchased one fired brass, 11 cents a round. $110/1000

I was paying $240 a case for Federal Syntech 150, so worse case I'm saving $130 per case!
That's significant. AND...the best thing is, you can train with your match ammo!!!
You also have the advantage of fine tuning your loads with a chrono and find what works best with your gun/setup.

After reloading a few hundred, I purchased a Dillon 650. Well worth the investment. I typically run 500 rounds in an hour, moving at a comfortable pace. With the powder check and an inexpensive endoscope camera with a wifi connection to my iPad, I have a redundant powder check system. For me that was the biggest issue with reloading.

I also added a few upgrades which really helped to make the more efficient and smooth the operation out...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-D ... 2767!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650- ... Qfu6xeAfrA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650- ... SwX~dWktqG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650- ... xrcnzHcTdg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650- ... xy3cJTfYzT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Primer- ... 4GhaQfulaw

View of the casing with the camera. Very easy to see the charge...

Made my own LED lighting system.

0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Love seeing a great setup like this is
0 x