Topics and questions I would like to have conversations about:
1. Casting bullets vs. purchasing bulk bullets?
- I have spoken to many re-loaders, and most don't want to get into casting. I find myself very interested in casting my own bullets and powder coating them, but I would like to know if such rounds are reliable for competitive shooting, and how well do the guns, especially the Caniks, hold up after shooting these types of rounds over time?
- I don't shoot at outdoor ranges that often, so I do not have much interest in reclaiming lead, but I would like to purchase clean lead alloy hard enough for bullets. Is purchasing clean lead/tin/antimony (Lyman #2) easy , and is it cost effective? If 1 pound of alloy make approximately 50 135 grain bullets, wouldn't be better to just buy bulk bullets?
- Adding case feeders and bullet feeders to a progressive press seems like a way to increase production and with the Lee press the addition of a case feeder and bullet feeder don't cost that much. What are the benefits and pitfalls to adding case and bullet feeders, and what have been your experiences?
- I plan on setting up a small work table in the corner of my living room, a 64" x 36" work table, and some shelving and storage bins, do you think that would be an adequate work space?
I hope that is enough to get this thread started, I have plenty more to talk about, but lets start with this.