Anybody use a Lee Factory Crimp Die

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Anybody use a Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by colonel00 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Anybody use the Lee FCD and can you confirm that what I'm experiencing is normal? Basically, it seems that the carbide ring inside the die is catching on the case and causing the case to stick a little and pop on the down stroke. I have taken all of the crimping components out of the die so it's just that ring in there. Cases are lubed and I even shot some OneShot in there before I took some crappy videos linked below. Also, I'm using the same case over and over in the videos.

I'm still fairly new to reloading but I've done maybe 500 rounds with this setup. Everything chambers and runs fine but this little sticking has always bugged me as the "system" isn't as smooth as I would like. If this is just the way it's supposed to be then that's fine. It just seems to be putting a bit of stress on the case and the shell plate.

Here you can see that the crimping internals are removed and how the case gets stuck.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZqpAAWrZ7zaJoJEp7

In this video you can see how the case is stuck until it pops loose

https://photos.app.goo.gl/utE8KUP3rWjb5syH6
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Re: Anybody use a Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:44 pm

:-? ...I have the LFC in both my Dillon 650 and Lee turret, and haven't had any issue with the round sticking. I have the die adjusted so the die touches the baseplate on the top of the stroke, and running about a 3/4 crimp. The only issue I've had with cases sticking is with "new" brass that was wet tumbled. Stuff was TOO CLEAN! Even with One Shot, some would stick on the Lee carbide de-priming/sizing die. I just run them through the vib tumbler with walnut, spray with One Shot, and no issues.
0 x

sgschwend

Post by sgschwend » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:28 pm

I have RCBS dies. You did not have the bullet depth guide in? Does the same issue with the depth guide installed. i could understand that the brass may be a bit springy so that it would want to grip the die. With the bullet in the brass will form to the bullet and I would guess it would release easily. In my single stage press the bullet set crimp dies take hardly any force to execute.

I have found reloaded brass that was over crimped. The brass becomes hourglass shape.
0 x
Ruger Mark IV 22/45
Rossi RS22 Rifle
Canik TP9SF

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:31 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:44 pm
:-? ...I have the LFC in both my Dillon 650 and Lee turret, and haven't had any issue with the round sticking. I have the die adjusted so the die touches the baseplate on the top of the stroke, and running about a 3/4 crimp. The only issue I've had with cases sticking is with "new" brass that was wet tumbled. Stuff was TOO CLEAN! Even with One Shot, some would stick on the Lee carbide de-priming/sizing die. I just run them through the vib tumbler with walnut, spray with One Shot, and no issues.
Yeah, this one is weird. I normally use a lanolin oil & alcohol mix as a batch lube and it works fine as the sizing die is smooth and easy. For the photos and videos I posted, I even used some Imperial sizing wax.

With the crimping sleeve and everything removed, I can see the little carbide ring in the die. As the case enters, the ring slides up a little and the case inserts smoothly. On the down stroke the ring falls down with the case and tightens which cause the case to stick. I'll see if I can get some photos.
0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:36 pm

sgschwend wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:28 pm
I have RCBS dies. You did not have the bullet depth guide in? Does the same issue with the depth guide installed. i could understand that the brass may be a bit springy so that it would want to grip the die. With the bullet in the brass will form to the bullet and I would guess it would release easily. In my single stage press the bullet set crimp dies take hardly any force to execute.

I have found reloaded brass that was over crimped. The brass becomes hourglass shape.
Not sure what you mean by the bullet depth guide. This is just a standalone taper crimp die. It follows my seating die on my progressive press. The stuff that is removed is just the crimping sleeve and the top that allows you to adjust how much crimp you get.

I have a message in to Lee to see what they say. All my "regular" dies are RCBS and Hornady but I've always heard good things about Lee Factory Crimp Dies. I use one when reloading 300 BLK and it works just fine.
0 x

sgschwend

Post by sgschwend » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Here is the RCBS die. The carbide is fixed. Two adjustments: 1) crimp pressures set by the depth of the large threaded dies, and 2) the bullet height/depth set by the smaller adjustable part on top.

0 x
Ruger Mark IV 22/45
Rossi RS22 Rifle
Canik TP9SF

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:35 pm

Ah, gotcha. On this die you run it down until it hits the shell plate and then adjust the adjusting screw to set the amount of crimp.

Also, as the last line of the instructions reads, the die sizes the case but I think it's this sizing that is causing the cases to stick for some reason.

0 x

sgschwend

Post by sgschwend » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:09 pm

I see the floating crimper, that appears to be the difference. Seems like a good idea it kinda keeps the crimp adjustment tracking the bullet height. Pull the crimper out and check it for looseness (assuming the crimper is connected to the bullet height setting die). If it is not connected to the bullet height die then it is going to float all the way to the carbide.

In reading the direction the author assumed a straight cylinder casing. This is not the case for 9 mm Luger, therefore it will not resize the casing only the bottom of the casing.
0 x
Ruger Mark IV 22/45
Rossi RS22 Rifle
Canik TP9SF

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:47 am

I have the LFC in .45. No issues so no help I'm afraid.
0 x

Reubone

Post by Reubone » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:08 am

I have the same issue with the Lee factory crimp die in all of my reloads. 380, 357, and 9mm. I think it’s the mouth of the case that is somehow harder than the rest of the casing. I could be wrong but I’ve reloaded all my brass countless times. I wonder what annealing would do
0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:38 am

Meant to update this. I contacted Lee and they sent me a new die body to try but it had the same sticking. So, they had me send in the new body along with some of my empty cases. When they sent the body back there was a note saying that this body had a larger opening or interior diameter. I don't know if they modified it or just found a body they had on hand that worked better. Anyway, now there is only the slightest stick that isn't even really noticeable unless I'm looking for it. Cranked out a thousand rounds or more since and no issues.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 am

colonel00 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:38 am
Meant to update this. I contacted Lee and they sent me a new die body to try but it had the same sticking. So, they had me send in the new body along with some of my empty cases. When they sent the body back there was a note saying that this body had a larger opening or interior diameter. I don't know if they modified it or just found a body they had on hand that worked better. Anyway, now there is only the slightest stick that isn't even really noticeable unless I'm looking for it. Cranked out a thousand rounds or more since and no issues.
:-? ...interesting. Glad you're up and running!!
0 x

TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:29 am

I use the LFC die on .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and 9MM, Ive noticed the where the case enters the die, has a nice bevel, but the interior edge is sharp, and can scrape brass off the case, when pulling the case back out. It bugs me a bit, but hasn't caused any real problems.
0 x
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ & CA
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack