Federal Ammo vs Fiocchi

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
ranviper

Federal Ammo vs Fiocchi

Post by ranviper » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm

So I took out my brand new Elite out this past Saturday and put my first couple hundred rounds down range. I purchased Fiocchi 124 grain FMJ 9mm (per recommendation of warrior poet society) and it performed flawlessly. I swapped out for 115 grand federal target range ammo (that the store gave me for free), and in the first mag it failed to eject properly (stove top action). The same thing happened about half a dozen more times in just 50 rounds. Once I swapped back to Fiocchi, again, performed flawless.

No real reason to share this other than to rant about my first experience with federal ammo. Anyone have trouble ammo?
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Re: Federal Ammo vs Fiocchi

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Fiochi tends to be loaded a bit on the hot side its not NATO spec but close to it. Federal and winchester bulk packs tend to be loaded a bit light so if your Elite's fairly new you may have stove pipes with lighter ammo until its broke in all the way. My first outting with my Elite it would stovepipe with federal and wwb 115gr.Then I shot S&B, Fiochi, Winchester NATO, PPU all ran fine through it and after 500 rounds or so WWB and Federal started extracting normally.
1 x

ranviper

Post by ranviper » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:03 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 pm
Fiochi tends to be loaded a bit on the hot side its not NATO spec but close to it. Federal and winchester bulk packs tend to be loaded a bit light so if your Elite's fairly new you may have stove pipes with lighter ammo until its broke in all the way. My first outting with my Elite it would stovepipe with federal and wwb 115gr.Then I shot S&B, Fiochi, Winchester NATO, PPU all ran fine through it and after 500 rounds or so WWB and Federal started extracting normally.
Excellent info, thanks for that. After a few hundred more rounds I'll give them a shot (pun intended) again.
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Yup. Nothing unusual there.
1 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

GaCop

Post by GaCop » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 am

Once broken in, your pistol should shoot the Federal ammo w/o problems. I have a well broken in TP9SA and the Federal ammo is very accurate in my pistol and functions 100 percent.
2 x
Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 - Dec 67

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 am

One of my good shooting buddy doesn't reload so he usually buys reloads from a major supplier near by or he buys the federals usually 2000 at a time.
Listening to him shoot is funny as it goes bang bang pop blam bang pow. All different sounds.
Yesterday during a match his gun jammed up. We did not hear a squib and no bullet was in the barrel but an empty case was in the chamber and his Glock barrel was bulged and ruined. He was shooting federal ammo.
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:03 pm

oldfrank wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 am
One of my good shooting buddy doesn't reload so he usually buys reloads from a major supplier near by or he buys the federals usually 2000 at a time.
Listening to him shoot is funny as it goes bang bang pop blam bang pow. All different sounds.
Yesterday during a match his gun jammed up. We did not hear a squib and no bullet was in the barrel but an empty case was in the chamber and his Glock barrel was bulged and ruined. He was shooting federal ammo.
On a few occasions while shooting federal bulk packs I've had to stop and pull my slide off to look and make sure I didnt have a squib cause i saw no bullet impact and it went pop instead of bang and felt zero recoil. I try to avoid it when I can cause the stuffs so inconsistent. Have had it happen a couple times with WWB too.
0 x

McCanik

Post by McCanik » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:58 pm

I used to shoot Freedom and had pretty good luck with it even though it was the whipping boy for alot of people.
Since Freedom's bankruptcy I have switched over to Fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot with occasional Blazer Brass (a division of Federal). The Fiochi and S&B are flawless but I find the Blazer to be inconsistent. You get an occasional weak load and some very hot loads. I'm staying away from them once the supply is gone.
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:32 pm

McCanik wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:58 pm
I used to shoot Freedom and had pretty good luck with it even though it was the whipping boy for alot of people.
Since Freedom's bankruptcy I have switched over to Fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot with occasional Blazer Brass (a division of Federal). The Fiochi and S&B are flawless but I find the Blazer to be inconsistent. You get an occasional weak load and some very hot loads. I'm staying away from them once the supply is gone.
Noticed it too with blazer, with current prices can get fiochi for the same price as blazer I probably wont be buying anymore blazer. I never buy reloads/reman but a friend gave me a few box's of freedom it was their stuff loaded with Hornady XTP got a few box's both 9mm and .380 and had issues with both stovepiping, 380 in glock, and 9mm in SA, and G19.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm

McCanik wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:58 pm
Fiochi and S&B are flawless
concur.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

BigPapa63

Post by BigPapa63 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm shooting Federal American Eagle 115 grain FMJ and Remington UMC with 0 issues in my SFX.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pm

If I had to rate my shooting accuracy, the Fiocchi 124gr FMJ's have been at the top for me along with Speer Lawman. Tight groups at 7, 8, 10 yards, which is where I do most of my shooting drills. Not one failure with the hundreds of Fiocchi rounds shot through my Elite and DA.
Plus, can't beat the price. I prefer Lawman, but the price went up about a dollar per 50rds the last couple of weeks, and keeps climbing, so bought more Fiocchi and some CCI Blazer Brass that was also at 16cents a round. One downside is that I hear the Blazer runs dirty, yes???
1 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes Blazer is pretty dirty for brass cased ammo.

I've not shot much 9mm american eagle federal, I think it might be better quality then the straight regular federal value packs at wally world. UMC I've not shot in 9mm in a couple years it was kinda dirty if i recall right and had a few flyers i dont think were my fault.
1 x

ranviper

Post by ranviper » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:14 am

Thanks guys, these are all very helpful. From what I can gather, it should improve performance after a few hundred more rounds, but it still seems as though Federal has been inconsistent. Luckily, I prefer and almost only shoot Fiocchi, which was flawless, so I am not too worried. The Elite is an awesome firearm and I am glad to carry it daily.
0 x

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 am

I use alot of Fiocchi in my .40 S$W's, also my 300 Blackout that I shoot supers in love it. It was the only ammo that would cycle when using P Mags. Switched to Lancer mags now it shoots anything. Got a deal awhile back on 124 gr. Fiocchi all my nines love it. Shoots in my P80 clones, nothing in 115 gr. seems to cycle well in those.
1 x