115 grain issues?

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
bhsurf4

115 grain issues?

Post by bhsurf4 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Just got my first Canik the other day, a TP9SFX. I had seen some reviews that claimed the recoil spring was a little stiff out of the box and didn’t like 115 grain ammo. I shoot mainly reloads, 115 grain jacketed from Everglades. Been using a lot of Longshot powder recently and I load them on the hotter side so I don’t expect any issues but I wanted to see if anyone had any issues with the lighter bullets. I won’t get to shoot until tomorrow or the next day. It’s killing me having a new pistol sitting in the safe and I don’t have a chance to get to the range!!!’
0 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: 115 grain issues?

Post by Jester560 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:34 pm

I reload as well and didn't have any issues with mine as long as they were in the upper half of the load data. However, the brass would just trickle out of the gun.
I have since went with the W74 guide rod and a variety of recoil springs to tune it to the load. I highly recommend this setup.
1 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:44 am

Stiff RSA issues are well documented throughout this forum. Once broken in, or the RSA is replaced, (Canik will sent you one if asked for) the SFx is like an energizer bunny.

Welcome aboard the forum and to the world of Canik.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

One1

Post by One1 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Most have already been replaced. They swapped the springs over pretty quickly to the newer ones once an issue was found. Those are the 2017 versions. The rest have the new spring. Don’t go making up issues with your gun others have had. Run YOUR gun. It’ll go like butter. The sfx all do.
3 x
Elite SC (Lt Dan)
SFx (The Giraffe)

bhsurf4

Post by bhsurf4 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:23 pm

Finally had a chance to put some rounds down range. Shot about 200 rounds, and the only issue I had was one round that didn’t eject properly. That was on the 2nd or 3rd mag I shot, the casing was held by the extractor but never ejected. Could have been a couple different things that caused it, but it never happened again so I’m not worried about it. Shoots like a dream, and that trigger is amazing. Gonna take a little getting use shooting with a red dot on a pistol. Got a couple more mags ordered, but I’m not in a hurry to do a bunch of upgrades. Gun feels good in my hand and shoots great already.
1 x

RWIG
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RWIG » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:18 pm

yeah, you really need to case gage your rounds, especially if you are reusing brass. I had some issues with some reloads in my SFx early on that my Elite didn't give a second thought. Now I bulge bust and resize with the lee 9mm undersized die all my brass before using.
0 x