The Reloading Itch Has Started

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: The Reloading Itch Has Started

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri May 22, 2020 5:58 am

BentAero wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:07 pm
from your photo, it looks like you're using coated bullets
Yes, yes they are.
BentAero wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:07 pm
Get a spray can of Hornady One-Shot for your lube. No mess, no cleanup, no wiping.
This is what I have on the way.

Thx for thew info on crimping. I read somewhere about the "push test". Place the round on the side edge of the workbench, bullet towards the bench, and push on the round as hard as you can. if it doesn't collapse, crimp should be good. But racking them into a chamber just makes more sense.

"We're off to load the bullets...." (Heard to the song lyrics, "We're off to see the Wizard...")
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Fri May 22, 2020 9:07 am

Hey @LT USN (Ret.) for coated bullets, you want to ensure you're not cutting into the coating with the crimp. Best way to test is to use the bullet puller to remove the bullet and inspect the coating. For the Lee factory crimp die, after setting it up, it's 1/2 turn in for light crimp, full turn for heavy crimp. I'm using between 1/2 and 3/4 turn with my ACME bullets.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:07 am
for coated bullets, you want to ensure you're not cutting into the coating with the crimp
It was tight enough but not cutting into the coating. Thx.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

grammontS
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by grammontS » Sat May 23, 2020 7:07 am

keltex78 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:24 pm
LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 am
I'm off to reloading land once I get my case lube delivered. Nobody has it locally and it seems to have turned into unicorn wings.
Odd... I just received my Lee press kit today. It was supposed to include a tube of lube, but instead, had a printed postcard informing me that the lube was out of stock when the kit was packed. Once I provide my information, Lee will ship that separately.
I ordered the Lee Classic Press , it arrived about a month ago I believe , and I received lube with mine. I've seen numerous people say that the lube isn't really that important with pistol cartridges.
1 x