AR-SBR-Shotgun etc. for home defense

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 190

AR-SBR-Shotgun etc. for home defense

Post by John Snow » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:50 am

I've had my AR set up for awhile for home defense, but have recently went back to my shotgun. I've read compelling arguments on both sides of the discussion as to what is the best option. Ideally, I'd like to eventually get an SBR or pistol AR for home defense, but for now am limited to my standard 16" AR. After reading some discussions on other forums, I thought I would pose the question here, since there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. I have my AR set up with 62gr Federal Fusion, which is barrier blind. But upon further reading and consideration, have decided to go back to my shotgun with #1 Buck. I've read #4 buck is also a good option if you live somewhere with thin walls, but it offers the least penetration that's acceptable for defense. 00 Buck is good too, but I know it can over penetrate. I also don't have a lot of shotgun experience. My current shotgun is a Mossberg 500 that holds 8 + 1 and has a smooth bore and is pump action. I wouldn't mind getting a semi-automatic shotgun someday, but money is tight and I have to work with what I have. I've also looked at some buck-and-ball loads, but for now sticking with #1.

What's everyone using for home defense? I know there's a lot of varying opinions on this subject, so I thought it might be a good topic for discussion. Whatever I have set up for home defense, I hope and pray I never have to use it for that purpose.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: AR-SBR-Shotgun etc. for home defense

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:31 am

It all depends... How your home is set up and are there shared walls, as an example, this makes a huge difference.

I live in a ranch-style home with the nearest living neighbor is 200-300 ft. away. Many, many trees surround the house and the two main entrances face towards inside a carport with a thick backside or, to the main road 300 ft. away.

So to answer your question, I have all three set up for home defense. 9mm pistol is the fast grab with light attached. If I know there is civil unrest the AR & Mossberg 88 are brought out and staged. Mags are always loaded for the AR and the shotgun is loaded with 7.5 dove shot with 10 extra rounds strapped on the stock. I use heavy dove shot as it will do the job in a home environment but will not destroy the walls. Bigger spread for those "nervous" moments.

Two last points; ARs & shotguns are LOUD in a house. I have electronic earmuffs (tested monthly) hanging on the shotgun that I can throw on in an instant and they actually amp smaller noises so that is another plus. If you use the AR, make sure you have a good, quality flasher hider on it. Muzzle brakes & compensator's just make the flash worst and will leave you night blind.

Just my nickle.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by John Snow » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:59 am

I live in a duplex with neighbors close by. I do have a handgun at the ready in the nightstand, but I'm wanting a little more firepower in the event of a home invasion. If I could afford to live in the country, I'd definitely prefer that. Thanks for the tip on the electronic ear muffs. I've been wanting to get some and hopefully will soon.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:37 am

Suppressed SBR/PCC, or braced. IMO AR risks alot of overpenetration, though ammo selection can help there. My 590A1 was at my bedside for years, wouldnt feel uncomfortable with that either but sometimes you hear about home invasions involving several people so capacity could be an issue, now I have semi auto shotguns SAIGA and ChiCom SAIGA clones either with 12rd stick mag or drum should be plenty in just about any situation but as LT pointed above letting 12g rounds fly indoors is going to be quite loud.

I like my Scorpion even with suppressor attached its not unwieldy to move around the house with, 147gr bonded jhp aren't going to go through 4 walls.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Inside: 1911 (although considering switching to an Elite-S)

Outside in times of "civil unrest" (I like that better than SHTF): AR w/ 62gr or 64gr Gold Dots.
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 pm

My 24/7 home defense consists of a Glock 22 with a Streamlight TLR-6 attached. Backup is located in my safe which resides in my bedroom. First out is a Maverick 88 pump 12 gauge 18" barrel, youth stock, loaded with 00 buckshot and a FF3 red dot mounted atop.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:32 pm

John Snow wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:59 am
I live in a duplex with neighbors close by.
Look at frangible rounds if you want to go with the AR solution. One on the covenants of firearms is knowing whats behind your target. In a duplex you do not. You don't need a lot of these rounds and they can be had for <$.50/round; just enough to fight off the Jun Horde and not piss off the neighbors.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-remington?ikw=frangible
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:09 pm

ncjw wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:43 pm
Outside in times of "civil unrest" (I like that better than SHTF): AR w/ 62gr or 64gr Gold Dots.
I have the Speer GD and Federal Fusion 62 to 64gr as well at the ready. But I do have a question for everyone since most people are more knowledgeable than I am. With the Fusion and GD being barrier blind, would it actually be better to stock up on a SP for home defense vs something that has more penetrating capability?
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm

An interesting question. The GD (and I assume the Fusion) are better than average but nothing is actually "barrier blind", you just have a higher probability depending on angles, material, etc. As you know, the real world is obviously not the same as test conditions.

Let's hypothetically imagine that in extreme civil unrest, you might need to penetrate standard body armor. In that case, green tip 223 hypothetically may have been outlawed ahead of time. So hypothetically, you may want to hypothetically have a reasonable amount of hermetically sealed green tip stored safely away, hypothetically.
Last edited by ncjw on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:09 pm

My civil unrest stash for 5.56 I have a couple sealed battle packs of m855(Green tip) and mk262. I also have some sealed tins of 7n6 and some steel core 7.62x39 if I choose to take one of the AK's. If I know I'd be up against body armor though I have a small stash of AP 7.62x51 and some a couple tins of AP steel core 7.62x54r for the VEPR.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm

ncjw wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm
hypothetically
Yes, the world is hypothetical. :-??
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23 pm

ncjw wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm
So hypothetically, you may want to hypothetically have a reasonable amount of hermetically sealed green tip stored safely away, hypothetically.
I've avoided green tip because from what I've read, it ice picks on flesh and doesn't do as much damage as 55gr. However, you raise an interesting point, body armor. That said though, wouldn't the 62gr Fusion and the 64gr GD be effective in penetrating? I'll need to get on the interwebs and do some reading on how it stacks up against body armor vs the green tip. I carried the green tip in the Army and we've seen it's effectiveness in battle, but I tend to invest more in the 55gr. I'd also like to stash a little MK262 and MK318. I've read some good things about the IMI Razorcore.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm

I've used some IMI Razorcore mk262 up on a friends property on some hogs its quite effective..
0 x

John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by John Snow » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks for the replies and information.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 am

Any 223 should penetrate standard Kevlar Level I-IIIa vests, these are meant to stop handguns. Green tip can penetrate Level III with a carrier. When you get to Level IV vests with anti-armor piercing carriers, they theoretically should stop up to and including 7.62 AP.

Naturally, the bulk, weight and cost goes up considerably with each level.
0 x