Range Rituals

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Range Rituals

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Most of us have a range ritual once we get there. Things that we do to prep guns, targets, mags, all the fun stuff we need to get with the art of throwing hot lead down range. Also call, "LeadFu".

I'm a pull everything I need out of the waaaay oversized range bag I have and line it up on the bench. Neatness counts. Mags are next to the guns they go with, ammo boxes to the left with the LULA loader (from a different thread) and all the shiny stuff is in a row. Double hearing protection in place whether indoors or outdoors, check. Clear safety glasses, check. OCD, check. **==

Targets always get splatter targets added to them. I suffer from CSC, Can't See Crap. I have everything from three 3" round stick-on's to 8" multi-ring tape/staple up targets. P.S. NEVER ask me if you are hitting high or low, left or right; unless I can see the hole in paper, I'm useless. But while shooting, the concept of looking at the front sight and the target blurs is a natural phenomenon so, I do get to hit what I aim at.

Oh, and change targets often. If you just keep passing the lead out the holes that are already there, you can't see the little things your need to work on correcting.

One last thing I do before all the noise & fun starts, I dry fire. Just to get the trigger finger, brain and firearm all in sync, I dry fire 15-20 times. It's a way of warming up prior to really firing w/o wasting rounds. Couple of deep breaths, dry fire a couple of times. Do it again working the reset of the trigger, all very zen-like. Then I start blasting the crap out of the paper with a big toothy grin of joy! :d

OK, so what are your rituals?
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Re: Range Rituals

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Double check my range bag before leaving the house make sure I have the guns I want and plenty of mag's along with extra ammo, targets, shoot nc's, eyes and ears.

My usual indoor range, eyes and ears have to be put on before entering, then like you I take out my guns and mags and organize them on the little bench, push range bag under the bench. I wait till I shoot all the current mags before taking ammo and lula out of the bag. Also get my shoot nc's out with pistols, dont apply untill after ive shot up the free range target some.

Outdoor range is a little different cause I can usually back my truck up to by my shooting spot and setup my extra ammo and targets in the bed along with long guns not currently shooting.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Pretty basic. For an indoor hourly rate range, make sure I load as many mags as possible beforehand. No sense paying rental time to load mags.

Outdoor, besides the shooting stuff, make sure I bring my own chair, gazebo tent for a hot day, mat, water and ice, all of the comfort stuff for a few hours at the range.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm

The most ritualistic part of my range trip is the clearing/reloading of my EDC. Everything else is subject to my normal OCD.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Lgaam wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm
the clearing/reloading of my EDC
If shooting my EDC, rule of thumb is to take one mag and put it in a pocket; in my enthusiasm to shoot sometimes, I may just shoot all the rounds I have with me. That mag is my reload for the drive home. \M/
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Lgaam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:43 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:10 pm
If shooting my EDC, rule of thumb is to take one mag and put it in a pocket; in my enthusiasm to shoot sometimes, I may just shoot all the rounds I have with me. That mag is my reload for the drive home. \M/
If I'm using up carry ammo, I'll bring the replacement. If not, I'll unload both mags and set that aside to load up after I'm done.
0 x

MadDuner

Post by MadDuner » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:49 pm

My ritual of pulling out the guns I intend to shoot and placing the already loaded mags for each next to each gun..... has been destroyed by the new RSO that insists on only a single gun out of the range bag at any time.

Yeah, whatever.
I've tried "testing" him a few times - with zero success in having him get over it. As soon as it cools off outside a little bit - I'll start driving out to my desert range and it will look like a yard sale table again!
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:10 pm
Lgaam wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm
the clearing/reloading of my EDC
Such a terrible lack of discipline and planning. That has never happened to me...
0 x

K-dog

Post by K-dog » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:33 pm

I add setting up the steel targets at different distances
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:15 pm

As far as shooting my EDC, In my truck I keep spare mags for my edc's in the off chance I shoot up all my carry mag's, or find myself in an extra shady area/place.
1 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:23 pm

I get out all the bandages, tourniquet material, and plugs to fill gaping holes and wounds. I lay out the morphine and pain killer, Last Will and Testament papers...Then I have the phone ready and "9-1" pre-dialed for the last "1" when needed. By this time, there is no room on the table for my guns and time is up, so I go home.
0 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Lgaam » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:32 pm

ncjw wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 am

Such a terrible lack of discipline and planning. That has never happened to me...
Once, at the end of the trip, my buddy found the ammo tray with the carry ammo, loaded up and began to shoot it. Fortunately, I caught I before he dumped both mags.

And I did fire off half a mag of my defensive rifle ammo, once. "Ooh, look! Another magazine!"
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Lgaam » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Badgerboy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:23 pm
I get out all the bandages, tourniquet material, and plugs to fill gaping holes and wounds. I lay out the morphine and pain killer, Last Will and Testament papers...Then I have the phone ready and "9-1" pre-dialed for the last "1" when needed. By this time, there is no room on the table for my guns and time is up, so I go home.
Some days, that's the best course of action. I just have a tq on the strap of my bag and my trauma kit sitting on the back table with the big red cross patch facing up.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Badgerboy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:23 pm
By this time, there is no room on the table for my guns and time is up, so I go home.
DUDE! Funny.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 pm

I take all of my little friends out of the safe and ask who wants to go for a ride.
1 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:35 am

I unload my firearms, magazines and ammo. Put up the target and load up 5 rounds per firearm to get me back in the groove.
I save my brass so after a few rounds I pick it up and start over.
I keep shooting until I am back in the groove and getting good groups.
0 x
Shut up and Reload!

onlyoldiron4me
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 204

Post by onlyoldiron4me » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:39 pm

I have a small range in a knoll with a small creek running thru it between many acres of farm fields.
It probably has a earthen berm 10 foot above the highest target.
The road is probably 100 foot from the targets, but I made it for pistol plinking mainly.
One side of the creek, have hanging steel from 3 inch to 12 inch, below that 6 6 inch plates!
Also have a 12x18 silhouette I hang somewhere.
On the other side of the creek is the paper targets, just stapled to plywood
I just usually back down to the upright stand we put our weapons on, set up a few folding tables, unload the truck
Walk across the creek, load all the steel on the uprights, then staple some targets on the plywood, back across the creek.
Proceed to empty every thing we have with us!
Repeat every chance we can!
0 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Put target out, take out firearm, load mags with range ammo and shoot till I am tired or run out of ammo.
I always clean up afterwards no matter where I am.
1 x
Shut up and Reload!

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 pm

Mark up targets (mostly large 25x38 Bad Guy or Silhouette style targets) at home for distances and specific drills. At range, start practice with one or two mags of slow single shots at 20, 25, 30ft., with the goal of groups within 2 to 3 inches in an 8 inch circle - either pre-drawn circle, or with 8inch splatter target taped in chest. Repeat with adding speed.
Next, double taps at same distances, increasing speed as well. Next, looking at ground, double taps from high-safe position at 20ft., or holster draw once I get my CCW permit.
Then, work some close in drills at 3 & 5 yards - mozambique, 1-to-5, single-hand strong and weak.
Finally, finish off single shots and double taps at 20/25/30ft.
Save targets for tracking progress over time.

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

LEOJIM

Post by LEOJIM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:22 am

I always make sure my fly is up before hot brass starts flying. :)
2 x