Truck Gun

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 190

Truck Gun

Post by John Snow » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 pm

I see the discussion or mention come up on FB and other forums about "truck guns". I guess I don't own a gun dedicated to my truck. I just carry a Canik and take it with me when I travel. Does anyone on here actually have a "truck gun"? Does it actually just stay in your vehicle? I suppose in certain parts of this country you probably don't have to worry about it getting stolen. But I personally wouldn't do that. Does anyone have a dedicated truck gun? What is it? Just a beater gun that's reliable?
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Re: Truck Gun

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 am

No "Truck Gun" here...just me and my EDC!
0 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:29 am

Nope, just what I carry. Be kind of scared to leave a firearm in a vehicle when it is not in use.
0 x
Shut up and Reload!

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:39 am

I did have one in the past......
I did service work not that many years ago (90's). One day I had a gang of teens surrounded my truck and was making threats. I was blocked in.... I got on the radio and told the dispatcher where I was and what was happening and she said she was calling the police to my location.... they all could hear the radio. They broke up and ran, and I got away. From that day forward I carried a S&W 38 snubbie. Eventually I got a pistol permit and picked up a Makarov and kept it in my truck.
I retired in 99.....but have carried even since.

But I do not leave a gun in my vehicle..... too many car break ins around here.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 am

If I'm in my truck I got a pistol on me. That said I'd like to get the underseat locking vault for my back seat to keep something.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:42 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 am
If I'm in my truck I got a pistol on me. That said I'd like to get the underseat locking vault for my back seat to keep something.
I have a permanently mounted gun vault in my Jeep with a barrel key. It'd take some doing to get into it. That being said, I never leave a gun in there overnight. I do use it though if I go into a place such as work where I can't have my firearm on me. I guess unless my whole Jeep is stolen it's pretty secure.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 pm

Prepper Guns defines a truck gun as an AR pistol, AK pistol, or Keltec short shotgun or the like. Maybe they mean a pickup rear window or ceiling mounted get up, I don't know, but not what I would do.

Tahoes have a nice below the bed compartment that fits an AR very nicely, FWIW.
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:12 pm

My definition of a truck gun is a reliable pistol or I guess could be a rifle or shotgun...in my case, a pistol, that can be in your truck and you don't mind if it gets a little scratched or dinged, but it is there in case you go somewhere and you are not allowed to carry. Where I live, I lock my truck and am not too worried about a break in (most people don't lock their vehicles here, and many not even their homes)...that said, the gun is not in there always...it depends on where and what I am doing. One of my truck guns is my polymer Taurus Judge...I usually have two or three .410 rounds and the balance .45 Long Colt. Two 5-round loading strips in the counsel with more .45LC. Great anti-carjacking gun. It is an angry machine that can pump out hurts of various flavors if need be.
0 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm

OK, got the point that most folks don't like the thought of a truck gun (TG) but, depending on where you live of travel to, it can be a game changer.

If your TG is an AR-15, two mags is 60 rounds. An AR-9, two Glock mags can be 66 rounds. Look at it as a force-multiplier. A Kel-Tec Sub2000 can fold in half and fit into a backpack. Add in 3-4 mag and the whole thing weights next to nothing. Saw a video where a guy was able to pull out, lock open, load and shoot a mag from a Sub2000 in about 15 seconds or so.

A TG is designed to supplement your sidearm like a bug-out-bag supplements you ability to survive. Extra food & water is good, why not a standoff weapon. And no, I don't have one in my truck, yet. :-$

But I have one hell-of-a bug out Pelican case.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

daocutter42

Post by daocutter42 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:04 pm

I’m not big on pistol caliber carbines. I have a collapsing stock AR in a soft case that holds 5 mags and keep a 10 rounder inserted. When size isn’t an issue, I have a similar set up for my AK, but the case only holds 4 mags. I also have over one shoulder mag carriers for each that hold 6 mags, but I’ve never packed them except to the range.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:41 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm
But I have one hell-of-a bug out Pelican case.
Lol, my bug-out gear is unrealistic. I've got bags, but way too much crap in them. I like the idea of a Pelican case for bug-out. I may have to look into that.
0 x

Hubbabubba

Post by Hubbabubba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Maybe the people using the term "truck gun" do not have a concealed carry permit and they live where it is legal to have a gun in your vehicle without a permit. I would hope they don't leave the gun in the truck all the time and it is just there while they are driving around.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:37 am

Hubbabubba wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:31 pm
I would hope they don't leave the gun in the truck all the time and it is just there while they are driving around.
No & yes, in that order. When I get home I let the cats out and bring the guns in. b-)
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Way back in the day, my friend's dad kept a .38 revolver in a holster attached behind the driver's seat in his truck. It was kinda accessible from the front seats, but easy to get to from the driver's door. The only time it ever came out of the truck was for snakes or plinking. Even in town, I don't think the truck was ever locked, and I'm pretty sure the keys were usually in the visor. He also had a .22 revolver wrapped in a rag that lived in the bottom of his tackle box. Neither was ever stolen, lost or misused.

That concept of the truck gun is pretty much gone for most of us.
0 x

SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

Post by SSGNDoc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Seems there are differing concepts of what makes a “truck gun”.

Old school concept was a gun kept in or put into the ranch truck to have at hand in case predators or vermin needed to be dispatched. Mostly another, farm implement. Likely not expensive or pretty since it was going to be bounced around in the truck.

Other folks think of a more modern concept, such as a semi auto rifle or handgun, which could accompany them into the woods, remote areas or into the urban jungle. Some folks think of just about any firearm that accompanies them on a trip in the truck as a truck gun, whether it is a pistol or a long gun.
Other folks really think of the truck gun as a step above their normal carry handgun, where the added length and a shoulder stick can increase hit probability and extend range. Some will say a pistol caliber carbine fits and others will say only rifle calibers or shotguns need apply.

Most folks will agree that looks don’t really matter, it doesn’t have to be expensive, it needs to be durable and reliable and have an ability to take some abuse.

I inherited my grandfather and grandmother’s “truck guns”. They had been farmers in Texas. An old Savage .22, a 1895 Mauser, and an old H&R shotgun, had each spent some time on the farm, in a truck, and accounted for dispatching predators, harvesting small game, game birds and deer for the dinner table.

I have a few handguns in my carry rotation which go to town or the woods with me frequently. I’ve got a Marlin .30-30 and the old ‘95 Mauser, that have gone on old logging roads and off road trails in the woods during hunting season. I’ve added a Kel-Tec Sub2000 as a supplement to my Glock 19 for something light and inconspicuous that can fit in a gym bag, tool bag or laptop case. I’ve got ARs and an AK variant it the poop ever hits the fan. Any of these can be a version of a truck gun I suppose.

Some folks think the gun should be a tool that just lives in the truck all the time. I tend to think of truck guns as something I grab and put in the truck based on the perceived need at the time. I remove firearms from the vehicle at the end of a trip.
0 x

K-dog

Post by K-dog » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:53 pm

I have a go bag and a CZ Scorpion Evo pistol with brace in my truck at all times. The tool box it is in has 5 magazines, a sling, and a back up pistol with holster. the box is a rigid tool box but with foam cut for the weapons. Got it from peak case.
0 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Closest thing I have to a truck gun is my homemade 12 gauge snake charmer. I used an old NEF single shot, cut the barrel down to 18.5", and installed the Tamer stock and forend. The entire package weighs just a bit over four pounds and is brutal to shoot. But it's 100% legal, and versatile with the 12 gauge options available, everything from 3" hard-hitting buckshot, to slugs, and the small Aguila mini shells. I'm able to stash the gun behind the back seat of my pickup where it's accessible if I ever need it (i.e., need something more than my CC handgun) but it's still out of sight and not taking up space I might otherwise need.
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 am

The old definition of truck gun used to be a somewhat inexpensive but reliable rifle that you wouldn’t mind getting slightly dinged up. Good examples were milsurp rifles back when they were actually dirt cheap (you could buy a fully functioning Mosin for $69 or Mauser for $200 at one point in time).

Since milsurp are no longer cheap, I typically just throw an AR15, AKM or SR762 (SR762? only if I am feeling snooty) in my trunk. My vehicle is parked in secure parking so they are not going to walk off.
0 x

matterandpsyche

Post by matterandpsyche » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 am

When someone mentions vehicle and gun in the same sentence I like to refer to this book, it is incredible to read how the laws regarding firearms and vehicles change so radically from state to state

you can get a copy at this site

https://www.gunlawguide.com
0 x

templarmachine

Post by templarmachine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:48 am

Good points by all. Clearly as hundreds owners we should diligently prevent our firearms from getting into the wrong hands. Whether that be children, the untrained or criminals. That being said I do have a "truck,trunk" gun. It isn't my go to ICE that's my everyday carry which is a Glock 19. My truck gun is an AR9 SBR. I use this platform because my EDC mags are interchangeable. Its locked under my back seat and not getting to it really fast, takes me about 15 seconds to get to an unlock. Longer if I have little ones or hounds in the way. If I'm headed into bear country the 9mms come out and a 5.7 pistol and my AR57 go in the truck.
0 x