Sold my very first gun - it was a Canik

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Sold my very first gun - it was a Canik

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:47 am

Ok, don’t worry. Title was scary even to me. :-D

I started working part time at a local gun range and yesterday was only my second day on the job. I see a guy looking at the Canik’s, he has never seen one before, Weeellll, hmm.. I might know a thing or two about them. After running him through a SFX, he wanted something more compact so out comes the combat elite. Took him literally less than a minute to decide. So.. Century Arms..... your welcome. ;-)

P.S. Two days in and already have stories to tell. Might have to start a new thread for you guys. SSISATR. (Stupid S**t I’ve seen at the range).
Last edited by Tejas Products on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: Sold my very first gun - it was a Canik

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:49 am

Whew! Scared me there for a minute.
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 am

That's great you get to work in a gun shop part time. Wish I had the time to do it too. Definitely start a thread with some of the stupid stuff you've encountered.
2 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:17 am

Janik wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 am
That's great you get to work in a gun shop part time. Wish I had the time to do it too. Definitely start a thread with some of the stupid stuff you've encountered.
I sure will....

So for some of the newer members here, a little back story....

My current "full time" job is manufacturing and selling gun related accessories such as our leatherette grips, magazine base plate decals, etc.. And some home accessories... Most everything is done on my laser... Also probably 80% of my sales are through Amazon.. That being said, my main passion is firearms and the firearm industry. Some time back I decided to get my NRA Pistol Instructor license and so far it's been fun. BUT... Here in Texas whenever I tell someone that I am a pistol instructor the first thing I hear back is OH... I want' to get my carry license.... SO, with that in mind, I am scheduled to take my Texas License to Carry Instructor class in about 3 weeks....

Since I am able to produce my products pretty quickly, I have found that on average I only need to work about 2 - 4 hours per day... So I end up with the rest of the day going back and forth to the pantry and watching lots of YouTube videos... I've told myself every story and joke I know and now I'm just making stuff up to entertain myself....

SO.... With all of that in mind, I took a part time job at one of our local gun store / ranges... My end goal is one of the instructor positions though, of course right now I'm just doing normal stuff, sales, range check in, RSO duties, etc... Only 4 hours per day and only 3 - 5 days per week... Really just play money and to keep myself occupied and I really do enjoy helping out new shooters... As a matter of fact, I rented a Glock 17 to a husband / wife couple.. When then came out of the range she complained that the gun kept stove piping on her... So I asked if he was having any issues and he said no... I immediately thought... LIMP WRIST... So I took them off to the side and had her show me how she was holding the gun, sure enough she was tea cupping it.... That will give you limp wrist and stove pipes every time... I showed her how to adjust her grip and problem solved... Customer happy, and I was thrilled to help out a new shooter.. Win Win for everybody and I get paid for it.. :-)

Also as I mentioned, only 2 days and already have stories to tell, people pulling out loaded firearms, bringing guns into the store without any gun case, just walking in with an open firearm.... and I am personally going to keep count of how many times I hear the word "CLIP" instead of MAGAZINE.... and how many phone calls and inquiries "DO YOU HAVE ANY 9MM IN STOCK"... The answer is NO....

Anywho..... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.... I hope to provide some entertainment on my SSISATR thread. (Stupid Stuff I See At The Range).... COMING SOON....
3 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:23 am

Maybe we need to start a SSISATR thread for the RO's too. Working the day after Christmas can be both funny and dangerous.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:34 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:23 am
Maybe we need to start a SSISATR thread for the RO's too. Working the day after Christmas can be both funny and dangerous.
I shudder at that thought (Day after Christmas) .... :cry:

Part if my duties is that I get to spend a couple of hours each day in the range itself.... I get a pretty bright red vest to wear with RSO on it... and the power that goes with it.... Insert evil emoticon here... lol.....
1 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:02 am

Tejas Products wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:17 am
....and how many phone calls and inquiries "DO YOU HAVE ANY 9MM IN STOCK"... The answer is NO....
How about small pistol primers?
=))
1 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:22 am

keltex78 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:02 am
Tejas Products wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:17 am
....and how many phone calls and inquiries "DO YOU HAVE ANY 9MM IN STOCK"... The answer is NO....
How about small pistol primers?
=))
Ha I wished.. But sadly no reloading stuff....
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:28 am

Do you get any perks that involve early access to the 9mm shipments that do come in at pre-panic prices?
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:39 am

ncjw wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:28 am
Do you get any perks that involve early access to the 9mm shipments that do come in at pre-panic prices?
SHHHH... Don't tell anyone... but yea... we get some... We are limited though on ammo same as customers, and you would be surprised how low the markup is on everything.... I left work Tuesday at close and we had 600 rounds of Tula 9mm for range only.. Only 2 boxes allowed per person... I came in at 2pm the next day and it was all gone..... I do get some other discounts as well on guns and accessories.... I'm quite sure a few of my paychecks will just go right back into the store....

For me the biggest perk is free range time.... Unlimited for me and a guest as well....

Last night there was a license to carry class going on... they finished and were heading to the range... I was amazed at how many students didn't have any ammo... They had to go home and reschedule the shooting portion when they could acquire ammo.... I told several people about ARMSLIST, and other side markets to find ammo....

This has been a pretty good eye opener for me for sure.... I'm just getting started on the back end stuff on 4473 forms, ATF stuff.. Really ,really strict and have to make sure and dot all the I's and cross all the T's.... Double and triple check everything.....
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:53 am

In NC the CCW trainers provide a .22lr pistol and ammo at a minimal cost to qualify if you don't have a gun of your own. A lot of people did that and they had to stay later since they only had a limited number of guns, but they got everyone through qualification (here it is keep trying as many times as you need to to qualify.) The standard is 7/10 at 3/5/7 yds at a side of a barn sized B27FS 3" x 4" target.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 am

ncjw wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:53 am
In NC the CCW trainers provide a .22lr pistol and ammo at a minimal cost to qualify if you don't have a gun of your own. A lot of people did that and they had to stay later since they only had a limited number of guns, but they got everyone through qualification (here it is keep trying as many times as you need to to qualify.) The standard is 7/10 at 3/5/7 yds at a side of a barn sized B27FS 3" x 4" target.
Almost same here in Texas, you can qualify now with a 22 as well... We are out of virtually every pistol caliber at the range... 22lr, 9, 45, we have some 40 and some 380 and some defense ammo in 40 and 45 and 357 but that's about it... Ammo right now is like the DODO bird.....

When I go in today, and I'm sure the answer will be no, but I'm going to ask management if they would be interested in me procuring some for them... I can buy unopened 1000 round cases of 9mm for right at 50 to 55 cents per round... They would still make profit on each box, but I don't think corporate would go for that since they can't control the original source... Which makes sense from a liability and safety standpoint...
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:22 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 am
I can buy unopened 1000 round cases of 9mm for right at 50 to 55 cents per round
That's just nuts. I long for the days of $0.15-$0.20/round..... And I used to bitch about that.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Bigmaico

Post by Bigmaico » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:32 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:34 am
LT USN (Ret.) wrote:

Part if my duties is that I get to spend a couple of hours each day in the range itself.... I get a pretty bright red vest to wear with RSO on it... and the power that goes with it.... Insert evil emoticon here... lol.....

It sounds like your working for Shoot Point Blank?
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Bigmaico wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:32 pm
Tejas Products wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:34 am
LT USN (Ret.) wrote:

It sounds like your working for Shoot Point Blank?
b-)
0 x

shovelmike

Post by shovelmike » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:01 am

Congrats on your job at the range, nice when you can do what you enjoy and get paid for it too.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:04 am

shovelmike wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:01 am
Congrats on your job at the range, nice when you can do what you enjoy and get paid for it too.
Thanks...

Only 2 weeks into the job... It's been interesting to say the least.... One of the other employees told me that when I do my RSO shift that customers want you to shoot their guns... I'm like umm cool.. ok..... Sure enough.... 1 Glock, 1 Tavor and 1 Ruger carbine pistol version just this week.... As a gun guy I get it.. We like to show off our guns, who better to impress than the Range Safety Officer... :-)

I would say right now it's probably 70/30 right now... 70% being either new shooters or people practicing for their License to carry class...
0 x