How's your gun purchases with the ammo shortage?

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Zardos

Not going to buy anything else until it settles down, ammo is back in stock and reasonably priced. I payed too much for my last one but was one I had been looking for.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

JoshT wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm It's really going to become ammo thats the issue for me.
Me too. I have enough to get by for awhile, but I just can't see adding any more 9mm handguns, unless ammo prices come back down and supply returns. I'll be content with what I have for now.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I wonder how this is affecting all of the accessory manufacturers? If you can't buy guns or ammo, why buy RMR's, scopes, mags, cleaners, lubes, etc?
JoshT

I'm sure it's affecting it, but doesn't seem to affect it too much. Availability of guns and ammo is limited, but people are still modifying what they've got. Actually might have helped them. The money people used to spend on guns they've now got to spend on accessories and they still need to get their fix somehow.
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Yeah with elevated gun and ammo prices I've bought a couple new optics and other accessories, some mags.
Janik
Staff Member

TL1000RSquid wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 pm Yeah with elevated gun and ammo prices I've bought a couple new optics and other accessories, some mags.
Me too. Just bought another Jpoint today to outfit another gun. I'm focusing on accessories at this point. Was itching to get a 9mm PCC, but that's on hold now too. But optics, mags and parts kits are it for now.
gunn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Weil, I did it again. I think I need an intervention. I ordered a SF today. That is 5 Canik's in les than a year. Is there any hope for me?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
45 ACP, Because short fat and slow will get the job done.
Shoot, shovel, shut up.
Zardos

colonel00 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:10 pm Probably picking up an FNX 45 Tactical at some point soon too.
Just make sure you get a newer one with the updated magazine followers and mag release. The early ones had issues, I know from experience.
keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

I had also hoped to pick up a .300 blackout upper for my pistol, but supply shortage, crazy high prices, and lack of ammo have that on hold.
Intention was to pick up some dies and a jig to start cutting down .556 brass and start rolling my own ammo; maybe next year.
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I agree with other comments, I'm looking at upgrades and gathering parts/sights for future guns. I have also found that suppressors are still reasonably priced. If you've considered them, you might want to get a trust setup and get them ordered before you may not have a chance to...
Janik wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:56 pm Was itching to get a 9mm PCC, but that's on hold now too. But optics, mags and parts kits are it for now.
I highly recommend building an AR9 with CMMG's RDB bolt and barrel. Get the conversion inserts for Pmags and you can run the exact same platform as a standard AR. AR uppers and lowers are gonna be a bit pricey right now but you can probably gather most of the other parts at a decent price as most folks aren't looking at this option. Not the cheapest but the smoothest shooting AR9 out there besides an MP5 or maybe the Stribog A3.

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Zardos wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:19 pm
colonel00 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:10 pm Probably picking up an FNX 45 Tactical at some point soon too.
Just make sure you get a newer one with the updated magazine followers and mag release. The early ones had issues, I know from experience.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into more info on that. Finally had a chance to handle one today and I like it. In Springfield, MO on business so I decided to travel to the Bass Pro mothership. I had also considered the HK45 but not as much. Even worse, gun counter guy told me they had them on a stupid sale in July for like $399. Crazy pricing for that time.
Zardos

colonel00 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:18 pm Thanks for the tip. I'll look into more info on that. Finally had a chance to handle one today and I like it. In Springfield, MO on business so I decided to travel to the Bass Pro mothership. I had also considered the HK45 but not as much. Even worse, gun counter guy told me they had them on a stupid sale in July for like $399. Crazy pricing for that time.
Yeah I know, one reason I will not even be looking anymore right now. They are not huge issues and you can get the new updated parts from Midwest gun works if you bought used or don't want to send it in. I like mine a lot and especially the 15+1 capacity of 45 and its not a huge grip like the Glock 21. I have the non tactical version but both had the problem. I put some night sights on it and now its a keeper, mainly because I have way too much money into it, lol. Seriously though it seems well made and shoots really nice. One plus is that I picked up a really great deal on a Sig 220 10mm Legion before that more than made up for the losses on this one. But now I will wait until this madness is over.

Last edited by Zardos on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

gunn wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 pm Weil, I did it again. I think I need an intervention. I ordered a SF today. That is 5 Canik's in les than a year. Is there any hope for me?

You can't say that you weren't warned, they are addictive.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

What ammo shortage? Outdoor Limited has all of the 9mm ammo that you can carry...at $840/case.

A case of 9mm now costs what a case used to cost PLUS a new SFx. Sheer insanity.
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I'm just amazed that people are paying those prices. I guess there are plenty of people out there with money to burn and new gun owners that don't know better.
baloo546

I set a limit of 30 cents a round for 9mm and even when I see it for 28,29,30 cents sometimes I pass on it. Last purchase was 3 weeks ago 5 boxes $10.99 at Cabela's. Happened to walk by while the guy was stocking the shelf. I passed on 9mm $14.50 earlier this week.
Crosspower

I'm picking up a Beretta 92 compact after work today. Something I've wanted for a long time. But I'm not sure it's a good time to be spending money. And work has been slow (no overtime) heading towards the election. I've not been shooting as much. But sure will be excited to try out the Beretta.
grammontS
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I bought a used Remington 870 Express the other day for $250 bucks , gun is in good condition. Came with the 26" barrel , I bought a used 18" barrel off of a guy for 60 bucks and will swap it out to make the gun a good home defense shotgun.
Janik
Staff Member

grammontS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:07 am I bought a used Remington 870 Express the other day for $250 bucks , gun is in good condition. Came with the 26" barrel , I bought a used 18" barrel off of a guy for 60 bucks and will swap it out to make the gun a good home defense shotgun.
I have a Mossberg 500 that I haven't shot in awhile. Been picking up 12ga ammo again here and there, "just in case".
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

grammontS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:07 am I bought a used Remington 870 Express the other day for $250 bucks , gun is in good condition. Came with the 26" barrel , I bought a used 18" barrel off of a guy for 60 bucks and will swap it out to make the gun a good home defense shotgun.
Ha! I bought an 870 Express for $250 new around 1985 (if memory serves) and sold it 15 years later for $250. Should have never sold it, but just didn't use it that much.