How's your gun purchases with the ammo shortage?

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Anyone still buying guns? Or holding on to your money since ammo is scarce? There were a few firearms I was hoping to purchase this year, but with all the nonsense, I decided to hold off. Yes, I have some ammo stashed away that I purchased when times were good, but it can only last for so long. I've been burning up a lot more 22lr lately since I have ample supply, but even that will diminish over time. Anyway, are you all still buying guns? Or holding off till things calm down and ammo is back in supply?
higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

I bought the Sig 365 a little while back- really like it, carry it often.

Ammo?.......I still have quiet a bit of 22, 9mm, 223 and 380. Some other stuff that I never look at.
Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Interestingly enough, it’s really made me to start looking at calibers that I never had any interest in before. I did just buy a really nice Beretta M9 22lr a few weeks back. Looks, feels and operates just like my 92 9mm and have really been giving it a good workout. Been looking at .40 caliber, 9mm Makarov mostly.

As far as finding ammunition, as long as I don’t mind paying stupid prices I can find darned near anything I want. If I started right now I could have 10k in 9mm bought, granted it would cost me 5K, but ammunition is still available. Like you I’m spen a lot of time with my 22’s.
Texas License To Carry Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Always looking but can't find what I want (at a reasonable price). I REALLY want the Ruger 9mm carbine based on the AR chassis but, if you find it, the price is nuts. I can wait for the world to tilt back to it's correct axis.
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I keep putting together various cart combinations of a Polymer80 Glock21 (.45acp), UPK, LPK, barrel and RMR slide to see what I come up with. It usually takes 3-4 sites as nothing is in stock all at one site. It usually comes to $750 or so.

This way I get an RMR equipped .45 to go with my Kimber and I have plenty of ammo and reloading components (including primers) that I haven't touched since I started shooting these damn 9mm Caniks.

Oh, and I came very close to buying a P80 G19 identical to the one I have but in FDE. Just because I was bored and wanted to build it and because I don't have any guns in FDE. A flash of temporary sanity led me to keep my money.
Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:50 pm Always looking but can't find what I want (at a reasonable price). I REALLY want the Ruger 9mm carbine based on the AR chassis but, if you find it, the price is nuts. I can wait for the world to tilt back to it's correct axis.
Let me tell ya.... I bought one of those last year and all I can say is WOW.... I put a $18.00 bipod on the front rail, a $25.00 red dot on it and no exaggeration I can put a full magazine at 25 yards all within an inch.. Absolutely accurate, dependable and just plain fun to shoot.... I think I paid right around $575.00 for it...
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Good point. When do we get a Canik PCC?

(I know, I know, two years after Sweden and Croatia get a Canik PCC, but when would that clock start ticking?)
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I have a few guns on my list to buy but can't find them anywhere. When they do pop up they are MSRP or over and I can't pull the trigger knowing they were a couple hundred bucks cheaper not that long ago. Part of me wants to hold out for better deals and part of me knows that the prices may not come back down for a very long time. I did recently finally pull the trigger on a TX22 but at $100 more than what they were this spring. Probably picking up an FNX 45 Tactical at some point soon too.

My unicorn is a Remington Tac-13. Can't find them anywhere except people selling them for double the MSRP. It's like Remington stopped producing them.
keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

I bought the Elite SC earlier this year, end of June, as it had been at the top of my list for a while, and I got a reasonable deal. I had also started collecting parts for a P80 build 'just because', but that's gonna be pending the availability of a frame parts kit that's in short supply at the moment.

Anything else will have to wait for some normal to return.
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)
Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

I mentioned it in another post, but I just got a part time job at Shoot Point Blank gun range and shop. Decent employee discount on guns, ammunition and accessories. Free full range membership too. I’m probably just going to tell them to not even bother with a paycheck, just transfer into store credit. :d
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Love my M9 22LR :razz:

Been looking online of late for a Taurus TX22, but can't find one.
Ammo - I've learned my lesson through this Scamdemic....when things come back to some sense of normality I'm going to buy a safe, and stockpile ammo in it until the door has a hard time closing.

Still shoot, but not as often as I need to, and not my 9mm's as much as I need to. More 45, .380, 38 & 357, and almost out of my 22LR.

Best wishes,

Neil 8-)
"I fear not the man who's practiced one thousand kicks once, I fear the man who's practiced one kick a thousand times" Bruce Lee
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO/PPITH/PPOTH
ShooterMcGavin

Bought my Elite SC during all this, but have not been on the market really. I like to shoot my guns, especially new ones. The ammo shortage is a factor, but the inflated prices and low availability is a bigger one for my shopping habits.
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

qballbandit wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:36 pm Love my M9 22LR :razz:

Been looking online of late for a Taurus TX22, but can't find one.
Ammo - I've learned my lesson through this Scamdemic....when things come back to some sense of normality I'm going to buy a safe, and stockpile ammo in it until the door has a hard time closing.

Still shoot, but not as often as I need to, and not my 9mm's as much as I need to. More 45, .380, 38 & 357, and almost out of my 22LR.

Best wishes,

Neil 8-)
PSA had an OD frame tx22 the other day for around $300 but with tax and shipping I wasn't interested. Mostly I've just been watching my alerts on guns.deals. Got mine from KY gun co for around $300. Painful but with another .22 suppressor on the way, I figured I'd bite the bullet.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Plus, I have to save my pennies for when the mythical SFx Mod2 hits the US.

(Let's see, if I put away $500 now, at 0.001 pct interest from the bank, why I may be a millionaire before it gets here!...)
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Anybody have a SAR K12? That's my other range toy/iron sight comp gun desire. If I ever see it for <$600, it will be mine......
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
Ben W.

I have way too many guns.. but I did use my stimulus check to purchase a PRO Match Ultra HC from RIA. It's .40 Cal and looked like a good way to get into USPSA Limited Major.. and a damn nice pistol anyway!! I already reload .40 so.... ammo shortage isn't hurting me too much... although it's hard to replace consumables like primers, just like everyone else is experiencing. I also managed to pick up a virtually new M1A Match for a song... couldn't pass that one up!
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

LT USN (Ret.) wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:27 am Anybody have a SAR K12? That's my other range toy/iron sight comp gun desire. If I ever see it for <$600, it will be mine......
K12 Sport has been on my short list for awhile. I was about ready to buy one till all the ammo dried up.
Babbalou1956

Past 3 weeks I bought a Ruger LCRX 3" barrel 38. Groups about half what I shoot from the LCRX 2". Also a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12 gauge. 18.5" barrel, 5 + 1 capacity. Might get time to shoot it Friday. It took weeks to find it. I gave up looking & ordered my 2nd choice. Went to pick it up & they said "Sorry, we sold that, we'll refund your money. But we have this other 12 gauge that just came off the truck, still in the box." It was the one I couldn't find. I won't buy ammo again until 2021 when it might get cheaper, hopefully. I'm saving the carry ammo & I have enough range ammo for a few more trips.
Canik TP9SF One Series
Ruger LCP .22
(2) Ruger .38 LCR
(2) Ruger LCRX 38
Ruger 22/45 .22
Taurus TX22
Taurus 66 .357
SIG P290RS 9mm
SIG P250 45 acp
SIG P250 SC 9mm
(2) Beretta Pico .380
Marlin 795 .22
Mossberg 88 12 G.
ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

As of this second, Palmetto has the SFx for $549 with a cool Canik soft case thrown in.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/canik-t ... -case.html
JoshT

I'd say I've been buying about 1 a year for a while now. Last year was an oddball and I bought 2, my SFx and a S&W M69 that we gave me father for Christmas.

Before Covid I was thinking about building a custom Ruger Charger Takedown, then the shortages and price hikes happened. The charger kinda got put on hold, and I thought this year was going to be a bust.

Last weekend I saw a Thompson Center T/CR22 that followed me home. Need ammo to come back though so I can enjoy it more.

Seriously wanting an Elite SC, but I'm going to try to wait for prices to come back down. This may yet be another 2 gun year. Heck it might even make 3-4 gun if I find good prices on the pieces I want to finish out a couple of AR builds.

It's really going to become ammo thats the issue for me. Hopefully it'll come back in the new future.