Concealed carry and single stack thoughts

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
tnez13

Concealed carry and single stack thoughts

Post by tnez13 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:00 am

Beginning to research a good concealed carry weapon. I'm signed up for a concealed carry class in a couple weeks and have my appointment at the courthouse to get a concealed carry permit (all the way out in October). Realizing there are a lot of personal preference issues here, what are everyone's thoughts on how to choose a concealed carry weapon? What are your thoughts on single versus double stack? How many rounds do you consider a minimum for concealed?

On a related note, do any of you with smaller hands find single stack, thinner pistols easier to shoot? I'm taking my daughter to the range for the first time this weekend. I've walked her through some basics on handling my TP9SF and she commented that it felt big and she wasn't sure she was getting a proper trigger finger placement. One of the range instructors will work with her so it may be okay in the end. Just wondering if a thinner pistol might work better for her in general.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: Concealed carry and single stack thoughts

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:25 am

Welcome aboard the forum.

A EDC firearm is very personalized. So there are a million opinions and options. None are right and none are wrong, it's all personal preference.

When you say, "single versus double stack" are you referring to a 1911 as a single stack, or just a smaller striker fired handgun? A carry 1911 takes more steps to fire (depending on the condition you carry it in, i.e. locked & loaded, empty chamber, etc.). Most striker fired handguns are carried as a "point & click" interface. Some prefer having a safety and taking the step to flick the safety off before firing.

There are numerous smaller striker fired carry firearms that are double stacked. The Hellcat and 365 are two of the newest entries. I personally carry a S&W M&P 9C with extended mag for 12+1 rounds plus a spare mag. Your body shape & size make a difference too. I'm 6'3" and about 210lbs., I can get away with carrying a larger firearm.

Where you you want to carry it on your body? 3 o'clock? 4:30? Ambi? Again, many options that will influence you decision.

Which will be your preferred carry method, IWB or OWB? Again, makes a big difference.

As to the question about hand size, I have smaller hands for my size by I like to add a Hogue grip to my competition handguns. Moves my trigger more towards the outside of my fingertip allowing a straight back pull. Don't jump too quick on a size for your daughter; have her try as many handguns as possible and see what fits. First impressions are not always the last impressions and a firearm is quite an investment to be made without all the info.

Let u know what questions you have. My opinions are not warranted and expire in 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first. ~O)
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:26 am

Oh, and what caliber? Another difference maker.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am

The only single stack I carry is my G42 my reasons for picking it were size and weight its my carry for when I'm wearing work out clothes or basketball shorts stuff with no belt its light enough not to pull them down, small but not so small that its pain to shoot rapidly and accurately. My other carry choices for when I'm wearing a belt are all double stack. If I were to want something slimmer yet not subcompact I'd probably carry a 43x or 48 since you can get the aftermarket 15 rounders.

New female shooters i usually start off with the m&p 22 its thin and very managable to shoot once they get the basics down on that most have no problem transitioning to a full size 9mm.
1 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:37 am

Entirely personal preference and what works best for you.

I find that a double-stack fits my hand better, making it easier to shoot accurately, with confidence. A Canik Elite SC works well for me, worn OWB, with an untucked shirt, in certain scenarios.

If more concealment is needed, a single-stack 9mm can be carried OWB, or even pocket-carried. This makes a good option in certain scenarios or with certain attire, but at the expense of reduced capacity/accuracy/etc. I have a KelTec PF9 that sees occasional carry due to the thinner width enhancing concealability. Even so, if I had my choice, I would like to upgrade this to a Walther PPS M2, as the slightly larger grip, and enhanced ergonomics fits my hand better. Maybe someday.

Find what works for you, since everyone's preference is different. Where are you carrying, how are you carrying, anticipated scenarios, do you want the gun to fill multiple roles (home/carry/recreation)... etc. All things to consider.
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:04 am

In total agreement with everyone else here.... Going to be a personal choice... I actually have 3 different carry guns... 380 pocket with 7 rounds, S&W Shield with 9 rounds and CZ 75c with 15 rounds... All just depends on what I am wearing and what I am doing... My advise though is a couple of things...

1. It's a carry gun, not a range gun, I see to many people try to take their 3 inch barreled carry to the range and try and hit targets 15 - 20 yards out while moving... It's just not practical... Unless you decide to carry a full sized firearm your most likely NOT going to hit any targets like that... FBI stats are 3 yards, 3 shots and 3 seconds...

2. DON'T MODIFY YOUR CARRY GUN.. Sights, grips are all ok, just leave the internals alone.... I see so many that do aftermarket triggers, springs, etc. and then complain that their gun isn't reliable.... It's designed to save your life so don't screw with it....

Me personally, I'm pretty secure with 7 - 9 rounds.. But then I live in a very nice area with low crime.
1 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:36 am

Well there will be lots of opinions........you can count on that.
Don't overlook two hot sellers- Sig 365,365xl and Glock 43x,48. I have the 365 and it has become my favourite tote. (10+1, 12 round mag is available)
I wouldn't go below 380...although my wife carries a 32-had it since '96 and will not part with it. (She is hard-headed)
6 or 7 rounds "might" work some of the time, but "more rounds" will work "more" of the time.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Don't get hung up on single vs. double stack. Worry first about what your comfort needs are - meaning, hand-to-gun fit, and trigger reach. From there, work on gun size keeping these considerations in mind:
- What are your daily dress and activity habits? Are you willing to modify the types and sizes of clothing (if necessary) in order to carry the handgun that best fits your needs? Oversized T or Polo shirts? Button down shirts, but in a larger size?
- Are you physically active throughout the times you will be carrying? Maybe a smaller, lighter gun would be a better solution. If activity levels change throughout the day, or day-to-day, it's common to have more than one carry gun - SC or Compact vs. mid or large frame depending on clothing and activity levels.
- Get a good EDC designed belt. An ill-designed belt will manifest itself quickly. Make sure it is designed for EDC.
- Match a holster to your specific gun. Consider whether your holster will need to be cut and molded for optics and/or lights, lasers, or light/laser combo.

I know plenty of people who carry (I live in a conceal state, not open carry) and carry large framed guns. They simply committed to adjust dress to cover them. I personally can't go smaller than the Elite SC sized guns because I prefer a full grip. I carry an Elite and a Beretta APX Compact, when I mess with my wife's Elite, I am thankful I got the grip sleeves/extensions. Your and her preferences may differ.

I will not carry under 13 rounds. Just my preference. And I highly suggest carrying a spare mag holder on your belt on the off side. Not as much for the extra rounds, but to cover for failures where you'd need to strip the live mag.
And - learn and practice these failures and the various types of reloads.
You've committed to carry, I highly suggest you commit to learning what makes a defensive shooter, and practice the techniques.

Be savvy and feel out if a salesperson is trying to persuade you toward purchase of a specific gun. Take your time, shop freely and wisely, and handle a lot of guns. Don't worry about the "gun-of-the-month" hype. Worry about which gun will best fit and suit your personal needs.

Caliber? While .380 is a low as my wife has, and I feel it's best suited for warm climate where bad guys won't likely wear a bunch of layers of clothes; as well as a close-in caliber.
9mm is the bread & butter caliber, though it all boils down to practice, skill, and comfort in what you shoot. But - practice with what you'll carry as often as possible.

Have fun!

Neil 8-)
2 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO/PPITH/PPOTH

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:39 am

qballbandit wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:45 pm
Get a good EDC designed belt. An ill-designed belt will manifest itself quickly. Make sure it is designed for EDC.
+1. A good belt will go a long way it making carrying a lot more comfortable.
qballbandit wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:45 pm
And I highly suggest carrying a spare mag holder on your belt on the off side.
I carry a spare mag in a knife sheaf. $5-$7 on eBay. People look right at it (if they see it) and just think it's a knife.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:43 am

Lot’s of great advice above. I’ll add, that guns that carry easily often aren’t “fun” to shoot. Small and light generally means more felt recoil, and as a result new shooters don’t enjoy practicing with their new gun. A cute little gun that feels great in the store, might not be the best choice for a newer shooter.

When I first started carrying, some many years ago, I was very self-conscious about “printing” but have discovered, people pay no attention to a bulge under your shirt. That said, I carry a Ruger LC9s pro (no safety) that I carry when I’m not carrying, and a Glock 23, a mid-sized .40 S&W for when I am carrying… As they say a mid-sized Glock (or similar) is big enough to fight with, and small enough to carry.

Training and Practice, are very important, I shoot over a thousand rounds a month, and have for years, between training, practice and competition. I can shoot a small pistol fairly well, but a lot of experienced shooters can’t, and it’s even harder for newer shooters.

Everyone is different, the above is nothing more than a few observations, I’ve made over the years……
1 x
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ & CA
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:18 am

TexasJackKin wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:43 am
Lot’s of great advice above. I’ll add, that guns that carry easily often aren’t “fun” to shoot. Small and light generally means more felt recoil, and as a result new shooters don’t enjoy practicing with their new gun. A cute little gun that feels great in the store, might not be the best choice for a newer shooter.

Can't be stressed enough people always comment my G42 is big for pocket carry, yeah its bigger then an lcp but it still fits in my pocket and is 10x better, better sights, very little recoil, easy to shoot quick and accurate, fun to shoot.
0 x

ginger

Post by ginger » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:33 am

my wife has a glock48 which is basically a single stack glock19 She says my SFX is easier to shoot. Normally the larger the mass of the gun, the easier its going to be to shoot. That being said, her glock is way smaller then my SFX so it would be way easier to carry.

So it all depends on the purpose of the gun, is the size you get.
0 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am

I have a Glock 43X that is easily the most comfortable 9mm I own to carry. With that said I don't own any of the other brands of similar sized models. If I was you I would go to a large gun store and see what you can find that feels good in your hand. How you carry a gun may depend on your build. I've got a little bit of a belly and I don't think that works with appendix carry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway I carry on my side in a RedX kydex holster which angles the grip forward. It's a nice set up. Sometimes its trial and error to get a nice set up. A lot of us have holsters sitting in drawers we'll likely never use.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:50 am

Crosspower wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am
A lot of us have holsters sitting in drawers we'll likely never use.
Amen!
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

#1gunnutin cntrl Fla
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by #1gunnutin cntrl Fla » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 am

My neighbor is new to guns and just bought a glock48.We were talking yesterday about a carry setup,belts,holsters,how he wants to carry etc.But I just told him yesterday ask any shooter thats been in it awhile and ask them how many holsters they have before they found the right setup.
0 x

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:21 pm

I carry a Sig 365 about 80% of the time and the rest I carry this 3" Kimber 9mm. It is a sweet shooter and I don't feel ill prepared with 25 rounds on my person!
Single stacks like this are quick into action if carried cocked and locked , conceals easily and it has been 100% reliable!
1 x

tnez13

Post by tnez13 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:12 am

I want to thank everyone for their comments and thoughts here. A couple range trips this weekend proved how right some of them were. My daughter used a Springfield XD from the range the first day. We both liked the size and feel. We tried a Glock 43 the following day. It only took 10 rounds and I was back at the counter waiting to borrow the Springfield instead. Y'all were very right that small single stacks aren't necessarily fun to shoot. On the plus side, I had given my Canik a good cleaning and it felt wonderful. I'll stick with that for awhile and look for a slightly smaller gun for my wife and daughter. Thanks again.
2 x