Cleaning a polymer frame handgun.

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Richard Smoker

Cleaning a polymer frame handgun.

Post by Richard Smoker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:48 pm

What do you guys use to clean inside the frame? I've read a little about all in one spray cleaners like CLP. Is that safe to use on internal components? Can I use hoppe's #9?

If I were to use soap and water like some have suggested, can I just dunk and soak the entire frame without removing the internal parts? And if so, how long should I soak it?

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks much.
0 x

#1gunnutin cntrl Fla
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Cleaning a polymer frame handgun.

Post by #1gunnutin cntrl Fla » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:55 pm

I use clp and an old nylon toothbrush.A little on the brushhead is all you need.Then use a rag or patch to wipe out the excess.I used Hoppes for years,love the smell,but whereever you use the solvent,you have to use the oil to stop the solvents action.Clp,or.gunscrubber,or whatever is all about tbe same.None really better than the others.Yes clp can be used on the internals,same process,toothbrush and wipe up excess.Do not use in the striker channel tho.Clean striker channel,dry it out good,and put it back together dry,no oil!
Last edited by #1gunnutin cntrl Fla on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

HSmaxim

Post by HSmaxim » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:58 pm

I wouldn't use Hoppes.

CLP of your choice. It doesn't have to be sparkly clean.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Richard Smoker wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:48 pm
What do you guys use to clean inside the frame?
Can you be more specific. In the mag well? In the trigger assembly/fire control group? I will on a regular basis disassemble my SFx down to the "studs" and clean everything with CLP and polish the rubbing parts of the trigger assembly. OCD has its privileges.

Another option is to use an ultrasonic cleaner, blow out all excess liquid with compressed air and lube (I do use CLP) the moving parts. This cleaning method has been discussed in previous threads.

Ditto to not using Hoppes #9 on the frame.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Richard Smoker

Post by Richard Smoker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:48 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:17 pm
Richard Smoker wrote:
What do you guys use to clean inside the frame?
Can you be more specific. In the mag well? In the trigger assembly/fire control group? I will on a regular basis disassemble my SFx down to the "studs" and clean everything with CLP and polish the rubbing parts of the trigger assembly. OCD has its privileges.

Another option is to use an ultrasonic cleaner, blow out all excess liquid with compressed air and lube (I do use CLP) the moving parts. This cleaning method has been discussed in previous threads.

Ditto to not using Hoppes #9 on the frame.
What about just washing the entire frame (including the internal parts) in warm, soapy water and then drying it?

I read where some folks do that.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Not sure if you would break loose enough carbon build up that way. I'm sure to a certain point it would work, but with limitations. Wouldn't be my first go to way to clean my firearms.
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

#1gunnutin cntrl Fla
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by #1gunnutin cntrl Fla » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:13 pm

Dont know how good soap and water would work.Occasionally I use non-clorinated brake cleaner on internals.Cleans out all the parts you cant get to,like under trigger,around trigger bar,etc.It drys quickly,doesnt leave.a.residue,and wont hjrt the finish on your gun.BUT it takes all the carbon,grease,and oil off of the internals,so you have to relube it,but you gotta relube it anyway.I dont do it often,I clean my guns after every range trip,but about every 1000 rds or so.anyway thats what I have done for years with no problems to my firearms.
1 x

#1gunnutin cntrl Fla
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by #1gunnutin cntrl Fla » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:15 pm

Dont know how good soap and water would work.Occasionally I use non-clorinated brake cleaner on internals.Cleans out all the parts you cant get to,like under trigger,around trigger bar,etc.It drys quickly,doesnt leave.a.residue,and wont hurt the finish on your gun.BUT it takes all the carbon,grease,and oil off of the internals,so you have to relube it,but you gotta relube it anyway.I dont do it often,I clean my guns after every range trip,but about every 1000 rds or so.anyway thats what I have done for years with no problems to my firearms.
2 x

Richard Smoker

Post by Richard Smoker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:24 pm

#1gunnutin cntrl Fla wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:13 pm
Dont know how good soap and water would work.Occasionally I use non-clorinated brake cleaner on internals.Cleans out all the parts you cant get to,like under trigger,around trigger bar,etc.It drys quickly,doesnt leave.a.residue,and wont hjrt the finish on your gun.BUT it takes all the carbon,grease,and oil off of the internals,so you have to relube it,but you gotta relube it anyway.I dont do it often,I clean my guns after every range trip,but about every 1000 rds or so.anyway thats what I have done for years with no problems to my firearms.
Do you use oil on the internal parts of your receiver? Trigger mechanisms etc?

Also, I mistakenly used hoppe's #9 on the internal parts inside the receiver. Not alot just a few q-tips worth. Will this damage anything?
0 x

#1gunnutin cntrl Fla
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by #1gunnutin cntrl Fla » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 pm

If you use something like clp,technically you dont need to use oil.Clp is a cleaner and lubricant in one.I do put a drop of oil,a.small drop around the sear and trigger moving parts.Everything else in frame.is just clp including magazine well,and wiped off with a rag.I personally use grease on the grooves that the slide rails run in,but thats personal preference.I think the grease lasts longer than oil and stays where you put it.But whether oil or grease,everything in small amounts.Less is better when lubing up guns.
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:39 pm

I’ve been using Birchwood Casey gun scrubber for the last 4 years on all my polymer and steel guns. A quick field strip and hold over a trash can and just spray the heck out of the internals. All the black gunk just runs out the bottom. After a quick wipe down I oil all the moving parts and rails. I even spray down my barrel and run a bore snake through it and it comes out completely clean.
2 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:49 pm

I just use good ole RemOil on mine. It cleans and lubes all in one. Never had to use anything else and my guns stay spotless. I am anal that way.

I do use Hoppes to clean the barrel of carbon and copper.
1 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 pm

I have used Ballistol for a couple of years (outside of Hoppes for my initial barrel cleaning).
Ballistol cleans, lubricates, and prevents corrosion - a sort of do-it-all solution. Comes in aerosol or liquid cans.
Environmentally safe, won't irritate skin. In WWII, it was actually used to clean battle wounds as well as keep weapons in good working order.
It also treats and preserves leather, and I've treated my EDC belts and leather holster pieces with it very effectively.

Neil 8-)
3 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO/PPITH/PPOTH

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Ballistol here as well.
2 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:39 am

I blast mine with brake clean. Which has dries pretty good by itself. Then blow it with compressed air. Q tip around to clean up. Then a little Ballistol on moving parts.
1 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:57 am

Richard Smoker wrote:
What do you guys use to clean inside the frame? I've read a little about all in one spray cleaners like CLP. Is that safe to use on internal components? Can I use hoppe's #9?

If I were to use soap and water like some have suggested, can I just dunk and soak the entire frame without removing the internal parts? And if so, how long should I soak it?

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks much.
i just use a tooth brush, a Hoppe's brush, and patches, and dry clean the frame.

i wrap a patch around either brush, and go over the inside.

i use no chemicals on any polymer parts.
2 x
GOA and NRA member... **==
Canik TP 9 SF

Richard Smoker

Post by Richard Smoker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:45 am

Thanks much for all the suggestions.

Great forum.
2 x

Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Post by Retiredtrooper » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:04 am

You can purchase "Gun Scrubber" by Birchwood-Casey that's specific for plastic guns. Couldn't find it anywhere, so Amazon to the rescue. Only thing is that you have to buy it in multiple can batches.
1 x

Richard Smoker

Post by Richard Smoker » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:08 am

Retiredtrooper wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:04 am
You can purchase "Gun Scrubber" by Birchwood-Casey that's specific for plastic guns. Couldn't find it anywhere, so Amazon to the rescue. Only thing is that you have to buy it in multiple can batches.
That's exactly what I purchased.
0 x