Monday Gun Day (and coffee)

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

Monday Gun Day (and coffee)

Post by SSGNDoc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:57 am

In a partial lay off. Ranges are shut down, state land is shut down. Pretty much leaves me to take pictures, while I make a proper cup of coffee.

2 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Monday Gun Day (and coffee)

Post by Jester560 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 am

I hear ya! I am reloading 9mm as I type this. It is something to do to ease the boredom.
0 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by deserttrans » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:37 am

:-D How is the trigger on the coffee cup?
3 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:13 pm

If you lighten the trigger spring on that mug does it give you light roast?
1 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:15 pm

Just started a 10-day "work from home" rotation, though furloughs are coming in about 12 days. Not sure which side of the knife I'm going to be on, or how long some of us will be adrift.

On the upside, I've got the kiddos through the online portions of their emergency distance learnings, laundry is cycling nicely, and I'm about to strip down a couple of ARs to see if I can determine if my gas key is out of spec, or my gas tube is out of spec.

Anyone know how to rebuild SharePoint lists that were badly formatted and have been replicated for about 8 years? That's the other fun thing on my agenda for the next 10 days.
0 x

SSGNDoc

Post by SSGNDoc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:10 pm

deserttrans wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:37 am
:-D How is the trigger on the coffee cup?
Stiff as the coffee in the mug.
0 x

SSGNDoc

Post by SSGNDoc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:14 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:13 pm
If you lighten the trigger spring on that mug does it give you light roast?
The pot only makes +P. Doesn’t run as high a pressure as a true espresso machine, but it’s about 2-4 times as strong as a drip machine depending on the grind of the coffee and how freely the hot water can pass through it once the steam forces it up into the pot.
0 x

SSGNDoc

Post by SSGNDoc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Lgaam wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:15 pm
Just started a 10-day "work from home" rotation, though furloughs are coming in about 12 days. Not sure which side of the knife I'm going to be on, or how long some of us will be adrift.

On the upside, I've got the kiddos through the online portions of their emergency distance learnings, laundry is cycling nicely, and I'm about to strip down a couple of ARs to see if I can determine if my gas key is out of spec, or my gas tube is out of spec.

Anyone know how to rebuild SharePoint lists that were badly formatted and have been replicated for about 8 years? That's the other fun thing on my agenda for the next 10 days.
On the ARs it can also be about how the gas block is positioned. Many folks butt the gas block against the barrel shoulder, and this can block part of the gas port and underpass the rifle. The gas block usually needs to be just slightly forward of the shoulder cut into the barrel. I don’t know the exact specs fo4 the distance. But had this problem on a build when I installed a gas block with folding sight on one of my builds.
0 x

37L1

Post by 37L1 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:26 pm

SSGNDoc wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:19 pm
Lgaam wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:15 pm

On the ARs it can also be about how the gas block is positioned. Many folks butt the gas block against the barrel shoulder, and this can block part of the gas port and underpass the rifle. The gas block usually needs to be just slightly forward of the shoulder cut into the barrel. I don’t know the exact specs fo4 the distance. But had this problem on a build when I installed a gas block with folding sight on one of my builds.
Typically the spacing is .025, use a feeler gauge.
1 x
You'll shoot your eye out.

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:58 pm

SSGNDoc wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Thanks. The gas key is definitely binding on the gas tube; just not sure which one is out of spec. If the tube is the issue, I'll take the rail off and check the whole system. It stopped running at the ~450 round mark: unreliable extraction and not picking up a new round if it did eject.
1 x

Mikebaker1129
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Mikebaker1129 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:14 pm

How is the Cafe Bustelo coffee ?
Is it pretty strong?
I haven't tried it yet that is why I am asking.
Currently drinking Duncan's "Bright and Early " out of Bellville,TX they sell it at our local SAMs club.
0 x

SSGNDoc

Post by SSGNDoc » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:16 pm

It’s a medium roast, but ground fine, for espresso. The Moka pot doesn’t make as much pressure as an espresso machine, but it makes more pressure than drip, or a Kuerig. About 3-4 times as strong as a regular drip coffee.

So if you like an “Americano”, about as strong as a regular black coffee, you just dilute it with more hot water. 1:1 or 2:1 or 3:1, depending on how strong you like it.

I usually make it 1:1 and drink it black or add a little sugar. But I can get kind of fancy with it if I break out the milk frother.

I usually use local roasted beans and grind right before I brew. (Spoiled here in WA. I’ve got 3-4 coffee roasters within an hours drive.

1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:22 pm

I still really want a PX4 compact. @SSGNDoc , have you seen anyone have the slide cut for a red dot?
1 x

SSGNDoc

Post by SSGNDoc » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:15 pm

Haven’t seen the slide cuts, but understand Langdon Tactical Technologies is doing them.
1 x

SSGNDoc

Post by SSGNDoc » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:02 am

From the Langdon site.

0 x