Rifle

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Post Reply
grammontS
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am

Rifle

Post by grammontS » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Picked up my first rifle today ...... Bought it at a local gun shop that I like to visit. It's a used Savage model 340 .223 , came with a Simons scope mounted on it. It's an older rifle but in good condition and all wood , not that synthetic stuff most new ones are made of. I needed to add something to my list that I gave me the ability to reach out and touch someone ( or should i say - something).
1 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 2878
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Rifle

Post by Janik » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:22 pm

I have a synthetic stock Stevens 200, made by Savage. Great rifle that shoots .223, so it shares a common caliber with my AR's. Been a great rifle for the few years I've owned it now. Congrats on your new rifle. Enjoy.
1 x

User avatar
deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:26 am
Location: Near Phoenix

Re: Rifle

Post by deserttrans » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:38 pm

Savage Tactical LE, in 308 here. Love those Savages old and new.
1 x

User avatar
jgillaspy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:24 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Rifle

Post by jgillaspy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:39 pm

Make sure you note that .223 is NOT the same as 5.56 NATO. The NATO rounds are hotter and therefore have a higher chamber pressure. You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 rifle, but you shouldn't the other way around.

JG
1 x

grammontS
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am

Re: Rifle

Post by grammontS » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 pm

jgillaspy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:39 pm
Make sure you note that .223 is NOT the same as 5.56 NATO. The NATO rounds are hotter and therefore have a higher chamber pressure. You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 rifle, but you shouldn't the other way around.

JG
Thank you sir for the info , I was aware of that , but it's nice to see others looking out for everyone.
0 x

User avatar
deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:26 am
Location: Near Phoenix

Re: Rifle

Post by deserttrans » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Yep! That is good information to post.
1 x

User avatar
Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:00 am

Re: Rifle

Post by Jester560 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:41 pm

Nice score! There is something sexy about a wood stocked rifle.
1 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Rifle

Post by ncjw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 am

What is the twist rate and barrel length?

Just wondering if you can shoot the 69gr and 77gr .223 options.
1 x

grammontS
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am

Re: Rifle

Post by grammontS » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:36 pm

ncjw wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 am
What is the twist rate and barrel length?

Just wondering if you can shoot the 69gr and 77gr .223 options.
24 inch barrel , I couldn't tell ya what the twist rate is.
0 x

User avatar
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm
Founding Member #: 002

Re: Rifle

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:05 pm

@Janik you ever decide to sell that stevens let me know i got dibs
0 x
I'm on Instagram as @wildland_outdoors.

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Rifle

Post by ncjw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:37 pm

grammontS wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:36 pm
ncjw wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 am
What is the twist rate and barrel length?

Just wondering if you can shoot the 69gr and 77gr .223 options.
24 inch barrel , I couldn't tell ya what the twist rate is.
Googling around:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1:14" Twist Rate
This twist rate was used on ALL Savage rifles chambered in .223 up through the end of 1991. After that this twist rate was only used on the Model 24 combination guns up through their being discontinued in 2007.

This twist rate is suitable for most bullets weighing up to 55 grains.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it sounds like you need to stay in that area, 50, 55, maybe 62gr max. Not unsafe, but accuracy may severely degrade if you go heavier.

Good to know in a ammo shortage so you don't grab something that will be a waste of money in your rifle.
1 x

grammontS
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am

Re: Rifle

Post by grammontS » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:09 am

ncjw wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:37 pm
grammontS wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:36 pm
ncjw wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 am
What is the twist rate and barrel length?

Just wondering if you can shoot the 69gr and 77gr .223 options.
24 inch barrel , I couldn't tell ya what the twist rate is.
Googling around:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1:14" Twist Rate
This twist rate was used on ALL Savage rifles chambered in .223 up through the end of 1991. After that this twist rate was only used on the Model 24 combination guns up through their being discontinued in 2007.

This twist rate is suitable for most bullets weighing up to 55 grains.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it sounds like you need to stay in that area, 50, 55, maybe 62gr max. Not unsafe, but accuracy may severely degrade if you go heavier.

Good to know in a ammo shortage so you don't grab something that will be a waste of money in your rifle.

I bought 55gr , so I should be good. Also from what I've found for info , this model was stopped being made in 1985, I was 13yrs old in 85......... 😄
0 x

User avatar
FrankW
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 am
Founding Member #: 013
Location: Central Florida

Re: Rifle

Post by FrankW » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:51 am

I was working in a gun shop back in the 50's while I was going to high school. I remember the 340 coming into the shop and as a teenage boy I thought it was the ugliest rifle I had seen. In the 50's we were selling Win M70, Rem 721/722/725, Brownings with FN Mauser actions and the best stock design in commercial rifles. Then there were the BSA and Mannlichers. Just a wonderful bunch of rifles.

I think the 340 was the first rifle that Savage used the barrel nut to attach the barrel. I couldn't get past how ugly that barrel nut was compared to the other rifles available. The 340 was presented as an economical rifle. I guess the barrel nut wasn't as bad as I thought as Savage is still using it today and most of the other rifles are gone.

Frank
1 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Rifle

Post by ncjw » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:13 am

...and millions of AR's work great with a barrel nut.
0 x

grammontS
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am

Re: Rifle

Post by grammontS » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:11 am

Haven't shot it yet ( ammo will be here this week ) , but the way things function is much more important to me than looks. I do appreciate your story Frank , and I assume you must have many more to share if you were working in a fun store in the 50s.
0 x

Post Reply