Anyone shoot Precision Rifle?

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Anyone shoot Precision Rifle?

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:43 pm

Joined another club and they have a nice rifle range, and pretty active in rifle shooting. The other range I belong to, not so much. I have 3 ARs and another M&P15 stripped lower waiting to do something with it. Haven't done anything other than 100 yds and less with the ARs. Decided to pickup a Ruger Precision Rimfire to shoot some of their precision 22 matchs. If I like it, I'm thinking of getting a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor, or TC LRR in 6.5, both are pretty nice. I figured the rimfire would make a nice trainer. Used to reload the 223 rifle and enjoyed it, so I'm sure I'd buy a set of 6.5 dies and load my own.

Grab a scope and bipod off one of the ARs just to play with. Scope could be a little lower, but good enough for now.

Curious to hear if anyone is shooting Precision Rifle. From what I've seen the matches are pretty intense!
Figured I'm not getting any younger, so time to start checking off the BUCKET LIST!!! :))

0 x

colonel00

Re: Anyone shoot Precision Rifle?

Post by colonel00 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 pm

I don't but I'd like to in the future. My club has a normal range out to 300 that I shoot often with AR's. They also have a 500yd range that is open a couple days a week with special events out past 1000.

I'm curious how those rimfire's do out to extended distances.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:43 pm

colonel00 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 pm
I'm curious how those rimfire's do out to extended distances.
Looks like it's doable...
400 yards...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDCiLT2mek&t=607s

Going out to 200 yds, based on the ballistics app I have, it matches up to some hand calculations using charts I created with shooterscalculator.com. I rounded off the 3.375 moa = 1 mill, to 3.5, so my mil offset was a little higher, 4.9 vs 4.5. Close enough for government work!!! If you could get your shots within 3 moa at 400yds, 12", I'd be plenty happy with that with a 22lr!!!! :-D

At 400 yds, based on my chart, it looks like the drop is 21'. So that's 252/4 = 63 moa/3.375 = 18.7 mil. App has it at 16.9. Need to find a good reference point to hold off that many!

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... -chart.php

0 x

37L1

Post by 37L1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm

You better hope there is absolutely zero wind.
1 x
You'll shoot your eye out.

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:11 pm

37L1 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm
You better hope there is absolutely zero wind.
:lol:
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:18 pm

My really, really accomplished long range friends say that a .22 at 100yds is very close to a .308 at 1,000 yards as far as wind deflection, so it is a great learning tool.

I would not get a bolt action to start (and if I did, it would be a much better price/performance Savage LRH - not that the RPR isn't great, just the price of a scope difference...). With an AR10 6.5 Creedmoor (just say no to .308), you can put on a 24" heavy barrel 1,000 yd upper and change to a 20" PRS upper and maybe a lightweight 18" hunter down the road. You might give up 1/4 MOA accuracy but the wind will be blowing your shots in feet at 1,000 yds, so wind far outweighs that 1/4 MOA. You also won't be moving your position as much to work the bolt.

This is also where a Geissele SSA-E trigger is absolutely worth the money.

20x and 30mm minimum scope, 25x is better. Illuminated actually helps since you will be placing crosshairs on a black bull. Solid scope mounts (embarrassingly, I learned this from experience with a loose mount.)

Federal Gold Medal match ammo until you can find/load something to beat it.

You will also need a decent mat, a Kestrel wind gauge for practice and a solid and heavy front rest and rear rest bag. A shooting coat is a bit over the top, but the big boys wear them for a reason.

Get good at 100 yds. Remember, accuracy (everything in/near the x ring) beats precision (group size). Move out to 200, then 300. 300 will get easier, then go for 600. 600 was challenging enough and I haven't practiced enough (or spent enough) that I never got to the 1,000 yard line with the big boys. (For reference, some of the Palma shooters around here beat the pants off of the F class guys with 155gr .308 bullets and iron sights.) Getting good takes a lot of patience, time and money (and literally cost one guy his marriage - he still thinks it was a fair trade...).

If your range is really serious, you can split the cost of one of those new fangled wifi based scoring systems. My friend swears by them and bought one for his "backyard". Saves a lot of walking or target pulling and the cost of a really good spotting scope.

And that is just to get started...
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:28 pm

ncjw wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:18 pm
And that is just to get started...
Definitely a $$s sport! I figured I'd play around and get my feet wet. They'll be plenty of time in a few years when I won't be working anymore! Money...you can't take it with you, and I've given plenty of it the kids along the way. So it's MY TURN! :lol:

Thanks for the info!!! I'm totally open to equipment and figure I'll learn as I pick peoples brains!
0 x