Freedomsmith-top2 canik-fanatic-ad-top3 Frankthetank
Unanswered topics Active topics
General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
By Janik
Bought myself an early Christmas present. Well, it's probably the only Christmas present, but anyway, I've been wanting a couple steel targets. The range I usually go to is a public range and my friends bring their steel targets, so I figure I should get a couple of my own. I was going to get the t-post attachments, but decided I was lazy and didn't want to build stands for winter when I couldn't pound them into the ground, so I went with the 2x4 version and purchased a couple stands. The targets are AR500 from Highwild, and the portable stands are Birchwood Casey. I like how they easily fold in half and feel pretty sturdy when set up. They also came with a couple stakes for each stand. Anyway, my adventure into owning steel targets has officially begun. Can't wait to hit the range tomorrow morning. Already eyeballing some gongs and looking at portable ways to mount them on chains.

The stand basically folds in half and makes it really easy to transport.
IMG_2840s.jpg
IMG_2840s.jpg (143.1 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
When the 2x4 is inserted, there's a set screw to hold it in place. I may go to the hardware store and make a metal shim to put in between the bolt and board.
IMG_2855s.jpg
IMG_2855s.jpg (234.15 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
I started with two targets, a 7x12 and 10x17. I could have purchased the mounting brackets separately, but found it cheaper on Amazon when the plate is combined with the bracket.
IMG_2852s.jpg
IMG_2852s.jpg (285.11 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
IMG_2853s.jpg
IMG_2853s.jpg (254.44 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
The brackets have a spring and are set at a downward 15 degree angle. A little bit of drilling is required for the two bolts that run through the side of the bracket.
IMG_2854-1s.jpg
IMG_2854-1s.jpg (218.68 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
I think these are going to work out nicely. For transporting, I'll be leaving the targets attached to the 2x4. It only takes a minute to remove the 2x4 from the base and fold it in half. The only question I have is I'm wondering how long the 2x4's will actually last. I'm sure I can get a few range sessions out of them.
By Janik
sgschwend wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:30 pm Looks like 1/2" plate, good weight will last a very long time.
Actually, I went with the 3/8 thick steel. I know 1/2" would be more durable, but I'm hoping to have these last me a long while. If I decide to shoot any rifle calibers over 223, I'll probably get some 1/2" targets. But these will mainly be used for handgun, up to .45.
By Janik
Went to the range this morning to try out the new targets, and they worked great. Shot the "newness" right off them. The set up is a bit pricey, but for the ease of use and portability, I'm satisfied with my purchase.
Janik wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:13 pm
sgschwend wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:30 pm Looks like 1/2" plate, good weight will last a very long time.
Actually, I went with the 3/8 thick steel. I know 1/2" would be more durable, but I'm hoping to have these last me a long while. If I decide to shoot any rifle calibers over 223, I'll probably get some 1/2" targets. But these will mainly be used for handgun, up to .45.
My friend had some 3/8 targets, then he shot some 7.62x54r surplus at them not realizing it was AP. :))
By Janik
TL1000RSquid wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:02 am My friend had some 3/8 targets, then he shot some 7.62x54r surplus at them not realizing it was AP. :))
LOL, that definitely will tear them up. I've read that you can soot .308 and other rifle calibers at 3/8 steel targets, when placed at 100 yards or more. I may see how they do at distance with fmj .308, but that's the largest caliber I'd shoot at them.
Janik wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:24 am
TL1000RSquid wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:02 am My friend had some 3/8 targets, then he shot some 7.62x54r surplus at them not realizing it was AP. :))
LOL, that definitely will tear them up. I've read that you can soot .308 and other rifle calibers at 3/8 steel targets, when placed at 100 yards or more. I may see how they do at distance with fmj .308, but that's the largest caliber I'd shoot at them.
Yeah we had previously shot those targets at 2-300yds with normal FMJ 308 out of m14 and g3.
I enjoy shooting steel. Don’t currently have any. My first plates were dumped railroad tie plates. Not hardened. They looked like a heavily cratered lunar surface after a few outings. You couldn’t shoot them too close, because the rough surface could pepper you with spall at random.
Nice set Janik. This is similar to what we do. It's so quick and easy to throw up and tear down steels wherever you shoot with these stands. We shoot my steels almost exclusively. The 2x4s are shot to shit but still hold steel fine and are cheap and easy to replace. Most retailers will cut them in store for you and they cost like 3 bucks. The bolts and chains (we hang ours) have taken impacts but still function great. The initial investment can seem high but if you shoot on the regs its more than worth it. Watch out for spalling in the wood tho, it's sharp and will cut yo ass.
Janik wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:13 pm If I decide to shoot any rifle calibers over 223, I'll probably get some 1/2" targets.
I have used M855 and M193 on the Champion branded 3/8" AR 500 at 100 yards. It does damage the steel. It leaves small pock marks. Have had no such issue with plastic tip bullets. Barnes Varmint grenades and other frangibles
are perfect for steel at closer intervals.
By Janik
ncjw wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:07 pm When do we get to see the "after" pictures?...
LOL, I didn't take any Sunday after popping their cherries. My fingers were frozen and I wanted to pack up and go. I'll take a pic after their second outing this weekend. Probably going to be even colder.
Janik wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:42 pm
ncjw wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:07 pm When do we get to see the "after" pictures?...
LOL, I didn't take any Sunday after popping their cherries. My fingers were frozen and I wanted to pack up and go. I'll take a pic after their second outing this weekend. Probably going to be even colder.
In other words, targets still look brand new. :D
This is 3/8 inch steel. The shiny ones at the Red Cross are from a 6.5 creedmoor and the others scattered around it are 5.56. It won’t go through but tend to screw up your plate. I imagine .308 would be similar or worse.

These two divots are from 6.5 Creedmoor from 300yds. You can also see some small pocks with splattering from 5.56 at under 100yds. This little one doesn't get used anymore except for long range.

I have enough guns (never enough, but you know) […]

It makes my blood boil to see 9mm ammo priced at o[…]

Welcome to Canik Fanatik forum. Congrats on the SF[…]

Hello from MD

Welcome to Canik Fanatik forum, Tinman.