Retention vs. the rest?

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Retention vs. the rest?

Post by qballbandit » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello,
I own two holsters, neither of them retention, where your finger pushes the release tab on the draw. I watched a video by the great Mas Ayoob, and he touted the importance of retention holsters for the obvious reasons - not wanting the bad guy to grab your gun, or it getting snagged up during a tussle and getting yanked out by clothing.
What are you thoughts on retention vs. the other styles, and if you own a retention holster, what was your decision on why you preferred it over others?

Thanks very much for your insight :smile:

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Re: Retention vs. the rest?

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:29 pm

For concealed carry I dont use any holsters with retention you have to physically disengage, if I were an open carrier I would but carrying AIWB or IWB I want to just be able to yank it out.
1 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:27 pm

Agreed. If the gun is exposed then I'd want some other level of retention. For concealed carry, I let my tactical muffin-top function as retention :)
2 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:30 pm

For conceal carry, I just use kydex holsters with no real retention. Sure, the gun clicks into place and it retains it, but it's easy to draw. I've only used retention holsters during my time with the PD. I had a level 3 holster that you had to push the gun forward, then turn it slightly to draw it. Exposed, I'd definitely go retention. But for conceal carry, I keep it simple.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:15 am

My primary carry is AIWB, and the passive retention of the kydex holsters is enough. I've never had an issue, even rolling around on the floor roughhousing with the kids. My old Alien Gear gen1 does pretty well for only having kydex on one side. For any kind of open carry or range/training carry, I'd need something with at least a little active retention, but not the Serpa style retention.
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:21 am

Older Minute Man OWB leather here for many years do not plan to change for my Glock 32, it works well. Over 17 yrs now daily with same rig. Never an issue at all.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:46 pm

I appreciate your responses, you guys are great for taking the time to do so.
As I read through much of the above, it's more on the personal preference side, and I agree, my two Kydex holsters have my guns fitting snug enough for them to be "secure", and I can draw them without strain.
Interestingly enough, what struck the chord for me was assailants being able to grab my gun without a retention holster. Bad guys try it with LE, are some "train" to do so purposefully, so my immediate concern was - yes, if I can draw it, so can someone else if they get their hand on the grip, no matter how I am concealing it.
Percentages of being in this situation are understandably small, I get it, but it did make me think it over.

Again, thanks guys! :smile:

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

smokee

Post by smokee » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Concealed: No retention
Open Carry: Retention always but never Serpa for a striker fired gun. I like Safariland.

Just my O2
1 x