Picked this up at the LGS..test run tomorrow...

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Picked this up at the LGS..test run tomorrow...

Post by Retiredtrooper » Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 pm

It was used but not abused. Spiral fluted heavy barrel in .223 Wylde. Has some parts from BCM and Diamondhead. Has an aftermarket drop-in trigger that's pretty nice...way better than military standard, and that muzzle brake is a nice addition. I added the scope, an Athlon Talos 4-14x with mil-dot reticle. Bore and rifling look almost brand new, although when I stripped it down and soaked the bore with Ballistol, the patches (about 6 of them) kept coming out green which spells copper fouling to me. Anyway, first run with it will be tomorrow morning for sighting in and trying some different ammo. I'm anxious to wring it out.
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Re: Picked this up at the LGS..test run tomorrow...

Post by Tejas Products » Thu May 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Looks really cool. Hope you got a good deal on it.
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Retiredtrooper

Post by Retiredtrooper » Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:52 pm
I'd just bought a "cheaper" AR. The only thing I could say about it was it went bang when you pulled the trigger. It would group just so-so out to 50 yards. At 100 yards, it wouldn't even hit the paper. I surmise it was made on a Friday afternoon just before quitting time. Took it back to the shop where I bought it and traded it for this one. I'd been eyeing it up for some time. Took a slight hit on the trade, but considering the care and cost of the parts on this one, I was satisfied with the deal. Now if it only shoots....
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Fri May 31, 2019 1:15 pm

Looks really nice. I have the Diamondhead rail on two ARs I built and really like they way they feel. Super comfortable!!!
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm

Retiredtrooper wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm
Tejas Products wrote:
I'd just bought a "cheaper" AR. The only thing I could say about it was it went bang when you pulled the trigger. It would group just so-so out to 50 yards. At 100 yards, it wouldn't even hit the paper. I surmise it was made on a Friday afternoon just before quitting time. Took it back to the shop where I bought it and traded it for this one. I'd been eyeing it up for some time. Took a slight hit on the trade, but considering the care and cost of the parts on this one, I was satisfied with the deal. Now if it only shoots....
Hope this one works out well for you, gotta watch out with some of the really cheap ar's out there not the best quality metal in some of the barrels, if you dont mind saying what brand was the one you had trouble with? PSA is my goto for cheap AR's that shoot well, got ones from them with the cheaper barrels upto the FN CHF barrels the higher priced ones do shoot better but for plinking at a few hundred yards the cheap ones will ding 12" steel no problem.
0 x

Retiredtrooper

Post by Retiredtrooper » Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm
Retiredtrooper wrote:
Tejas Products wrote:
Hope this one works out well for you, gotta watch out with some of the really cheap ar's out there not the best quality metal in some of the barrels, if you dont mind saying what brand was the one you had trouble with? PSA is my goto for cheap AR's that shoot well, got ones from them with the cheaper barrels upto the FN CHF barrels the higher priced ones do shoot better but for plinking at a few hundred yards the cheap ones will ding 12" steel no problem.
I don't mind saying at all. It was an American Tactical. Trigger was decent, but I wasn't happy with the build quality. The takedown pins had to be moved with a punch and a hammer. Gun looked fine but it just wouldn't shoot. It certainly wasn't expensive, but that's not an excuse. I have a CMC 300 aac pistol with a 10.5" barrel that will darn near cut one hole at 40-50 yards, and I can ring steel at 100 with it. It cost me about the same as the ATI rifle, although I admit to a few upgrades, like an adjustable brace and muzzle brake. It's definitely my "fun gun". I've included a photo of it here.

0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri May 31, 2019 10:04 pm

Retiredtrooper wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 pm
TL1000RSquid wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm
Retiredtrooper wrote:

I don't mind saying at all. It was an American Tactical. Trigger was decent, but I wasn't happy with the build quality. The takedown pins had to be moved with a punch and a hammer. Gun looked fine but it just wouldn't shoot. It certainly wasn't expensive, but that's not an excuse. I have a CMC 300 aac pistol with a 10.5" barrel that will darn near cut one hole at 40-50 yards, and I can ring steel at 100 with it. It cost me about the same as the ATI rifle, although I admit to a few upgrades, like an adjustable brace and muzzle brake. It's definitely my "fun gun". I've included a photo of it here.

Was it one of the Polymer lower ones? I've seen some deals on them and considered it but I've read some mixed reviews on them. Nice looking setup I have 10.5 .300BO too on a stamped Anderson lower I built myself and a PSA upper. Pretty accurate I run it with Dead Air suppressor and taken a bunch of wild hogs with it. Not counting the tax stamp, optic, or suppressor I only have about $600 in it.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:45 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:04 pm
Not counting the tax stamp, optic, or suppressor I only have about $600 in it.
It is a crime that the suppressor and associated taxes costs more than the rifle. It's a metal tube with baffles, maybe $50 in parts for a high quality one (heck, I can buy a muffler for my truck for $100).

Recall that the original argument to make suppressors a class 3 device was because game wardens wouldn't hear illegal poachers if they used suppressors. Unfortunately, the last Congress wasted their opportunity to get the Hearing Protection Act passed so we are stuck with the current situation for the foreseeable future.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:26 am

ncjw wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:45 am
TL1000RSquid wrote:
It is a crime that the suppressor and associated taxes costs more than the rifle. It's a metal tube with baffles, maybe $50 in parts for a high quality one (heck, I can buy a muffler for my truck for $100).

Recall that the original argument to make suppressors a class 3 device was because game wardens wouldn't hear illegal poachers if they used suppressors. Unfortunately, the last Congress wasted their opportunity to get the Hearing Protection Act passed so we are stuck with the current situation for the foreseeable future.
Yeah HPA passing would of been nice, stamps for suppressors and sbr/sbs really need to go away.
0 x

Danatkins8605

Post by Danatkins8605 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:51 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:26 am
ncjw wrote:
TL1000RSquid wrote:

Yeah HPA passing would of been nice, stamps for suppressors and sbr/sbs really need to go away.
All stamps you mean
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Danatkins8605 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:51 pm
TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:26 am
ncjw wrote:

All stamps you mean
Yeah all of them just went with those 2 cause they'd be the most likely ones to get a repeal, and unless post 86 full autos were legalized I can't afford any decent full autos so the $200 stamp is the least of my worries :)
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:54 pm

We can all make good Constitutional arguments that full auto should also not be regulated, but that will not happen in my lifetime.
1 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:06 am

Nice topic , I always like to learn quality diffrence in AR production . Just wondering something. Is that all AR in USA meet with Mil Spec requirments. is that mandatory?

And AR shooting fun always with Canik :)

0 x

Retiredtrooper

Post by Retiredtrooper » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:08 am

zeda3000 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:06 am
Nice topic , I always like to learn quality diffrence in AR production . Just wondering something. Is that all AR in USA meet with Mil Spec requirments. is that mandatory?

Very nice looking AR.
1 x

Retiredtrooper

Post by Retiredtrooper » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:32 am

Thought I'd touch on the initial range testing of the .223. I used 3 different loadings of 55gr, and two 62 gr. Got things centered up and shot at 100 yards on paper. This one definitely favors the 55gr loads, although the 62gr loads weren't far behind. Best groups came with Hornady Frontier 55gr BTHP match ammo at about 1.5". The same brand but using a 55grFMJ ran around 2", with Federal American Eagle 55grFMJ about the same. My 62gr loads were Federal Green Tip and WW ball. While both shot to the same point on the target for height as the 55's, they both shot 6" left of center. Go figure. I really think this rifle is capable of better than I got with it. With an adjustable rest it would do a lot better. I have two sandbag rests....one was too high and one was too low so I couldn't really get it settled in. Even at that, I was able to ding a half sized steel silhouette at 200 yards very easily. I'm quite happy with it. The one that continues to put a smile on my face is my little .300. Here's a 50 yard group shot using S&B 200gr subsonic ammo. Aiming point was dead center. The pasters on center were shot using Privi Partisan 125's which it also likes. Like I said....my "fun gun".

1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 am

zeda3000 wrote:

Not required to be milspec but if the upper and lower receivers aren't atleast milspec not it wont sell well, noone wants an AR you can't easily upgrade. AR10 has several different specs which always makes buying parts and accessories a pain in the ass.
0 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:28 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 am
zeda3000 wrote:

Not required to be milspec but if the upper and lower receivers aren't atleast milspec not it wont sell well, noone wants an AR you can't easily upgrade. AR10 has several different specs which always makes buying parts and accessories a pain in the ass.
I am really suprised about it. AR10 made in USA , this is %100 local and buy parts is pain in ass. Is that goverment doesnt allow the parts or not so popular in market. I used in Army alot .308 . which is not so fun for rapid shooting. This is kicking.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:26 pm

zeda3000 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:28 am
TL1000RSquid wrote:
zeda3000 wrote:

I am really suprised about it. AR10 made in USA , this is %100 local and buy parts is pain in ass. Is that goverment doesnt allow the parts or not so popular in market. I used in Army alot .308 . which is not so fun for rapid shooting. This is kicking.
Yeah they have pretty much 2 different specs for AR10's, and on top of that some manafactuers will claim certain spec but doesnt mean parts from other manafactuers will fit up properly like they normally would for ar15's. You guys use HK G3 style rifles in the army no? I've shot a few different g3 style rifles in semi not to bad, full auto is pretty useless hard to stay on target.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:31 pm

Yeah, you have to use match ammo for the best results. Interestingly, my accuracy AR15 loves both 55gr Hornady Vmax and 77gr Sig and Federal Match.
0 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:59 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:26 pm
zeda3000 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:28 am
TL1000RSquid wrote:

Yeah they have pretty much 2 different specs for AR10's, and on top of that some manafactuers will claim certain spec but doesnt mean parts from other manafactuers will fit up properly like they normally would for ar15's. You guys use HK G3 style rifles in the army no? I've shot a few different g3 style rifles in semi not to bad, full auto is pretty useless hard to stay on target.

This is insteresting , cause USA very good in CNC jobs and has aerospace skill. How hard could be to make proper gun parts.

Yes Turkish army was using G3 producing my MKEK in last 40 years at least. I did use G3 also. Very long stroke spring makes quite powerfull recoil. Full auto it is only for wasting bullet. Now it starding to change to MPT76 which is clone of HK 416. Main problem it is again .308 . I shoot a lot of with 5.56 AR also. For 100 mt distance .308 not good caliber for shooting.

Turkey likes in rifles HK and in pistols Walther. I know in MP76 Turkey pay to HK for patent issue. But i dont how thing going in Between Canik and Walther.
0 x