Gun Blueing, where?

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
runeight
Founding Member #: 198

There are several quality shops that do Gun blueing. I have emails into them today.

My question therefore is...

Anybody know of any blueing shops close to you or where you have seen the work?

Researching a possible new 38 Super build. I should know better but it keeps me busy. :-D

TIA
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Haven't had a gun blued in awhile unfortunately the guy I had do a couple guns before who did a great job passed away, all my recent refinish projects have been cerakote.
GaCop

It's getting harder and harder to find a shop that does good bluing. Coated finishes are the craze now. It's expensive to set up to do hot bluing so unless a gunsmith is sure he's going to get a lot of business, he won't bother.
Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 - Dec 67
runeight

GaCop wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:21 am It's getting harder and harder to find a shop that does good bluing. Coated finishes are the craze now. It's expensive to set up to do hot bluing so unless a gunsmith is sure he's going to get a lot of business, he won't bother.
You are correct. Given the restrictions on chemicals, the old timers are retired or gone.

I have an email into one asking for a quote on just the frame, Beavertail and slide. Haven’t heard back. They get $250 for a complete gun in high polish blue. I’ll disassemble and send just the parts.

For now it’s just in the works but the firearm would be a high polished blue with silver parts. We all know how this could add up. Depends on the cost of the firearm first. Tracking one on GB but he is about $50 high on value. When it says Kimber this equals higher value but there is a limit for me.
We are in a civil war..
FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Take a look at Ford Refinishing in Crystal River, Fl. They do it all. Some excellent pictures on their site.

Frank

https://www.fordsguns.com/
runeight

FrankW wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 am Take a look at Ford Refinishing in Crystal River, Fl. They do it all. Some excellent pictures on their site.

Frank

https://www.fordsguns.com/
Thanks for the link. Nice work, little expensive but an option for sure. Bookmarked.
We are in a civil war..