STI Firearms

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
C wordLover

Just took a few STIs for a test drive. A range near me had a rep come out. Thoroughly not impressed. Solidly built gun, no wiggle or rub anywhere to be found. Works like a $2000 gun should, or how a $500 gun does. John Wick gun was shiny but it doesn’t out perform like I was hoping. Ergonomics weren’t impressive, the carry pistol felt closest to 1911 style. Maybe I’m not cool enough to play with the bigger kids, but I could deck out a Canik with everything out there and still buy a bottle of whiskey with that kind of money.
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

C wordLover wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:27 pm but I could deck out a Canik with everything out there and still buy a bottle of whiskey with that kind of money.
Yes!
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

I generally feel the same way when it comes to many high end pistols, my shooting buddy is retired competitive shooter and has a very extensive collection of high dollar pistols both competition trim and just fancy high dollar stuff, mostly 1911 and a few high dollar glocks and others sprinkled in. In the end I dont really shoot his $4k 1911 any better then my off the shelf Colt with a few cheap tweaks. I do lust for some of his custom cz's but even those I dont really shoot any better then I can shoot the shadow 2 with a few tweaks.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

I've never been interested in STI's. But then, I'm not much of a competition shooter or gun snob. My Caniks and CZ's perform well for me and I'm happy with that. But, I suppose if I had a lot of money to burn, I probably would add one to the stable. But at the end of the day, I just haven't shot one that does anything better than my lower cost firearms. A few tweaks to a Canik, CZ, Glock, M&P, etc. can make a big difference. I'm not anti-STI, but they just have never impressed enough to be on my radar.
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Janik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:08 pm A few tweaks to a Canik, CZ, Glock, M&P
M&P, take walk on the "(w)mild" side. Love me my M&P. <cough, cough> And, my SFx.
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
Bfgloki

In general with most firearms I feel the same way. In my rifle world I enjoy “polishing a turd” approach since it allows me to tinker, learn/practice my DIY gunsmithing and satisfaction that I made turned a piece of coal into a diamond. I usually stick with firearms that have unique qualities and value ( such as the Caniks)
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

I though it was "funny" when I was reading through this thread, as most of the guys I've seen dealing with malfunctions at matches, where shooting "high end" STI guns. Apparently they can be very finicky, and take some time and work to "tune" them in. For that kind of money, you'd think they would be "very tuned" from the factory!!!
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

GlennSFX wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 am I though it was "funny" when I was reading through this thread, as most of the guys I've seen dealing with malfunctions at matches, where shooting "high end" STI guns. Apparently they can be very finicky, and take some time and work to "tune" them in. For that kind of money, you'd think they would be "very tuned" from the factory!!!
Seems to be common theme especially with some of the high end 1911's know a few people who've had to send them back after first range outting sometimes more then once. Seems like for what you're paying these companies should be doing more QC on their products before shipping them out.
C wordLover

This also lead to an interesting conversation because the fully loaded competition gun had a compensator and I was stove piping every round. Obviously it had been used a bunch that day and hadn’t been cleaned. I had pointed out I was running standard 115 blazer. The guy then said I should be using higher grain when running a comp on a gun. I have always heard lighter grain with +p loads because the more gas produced allows the comp to work better.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

C wordLover wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:29 pm This also lead to an interesting conversation because the fully loaded competition gun had a compensator and I was stove piping every round. Obviously it had been used a bunch that day and hadn’t been cleaned. I had pointed out I was running standard 115 blazer. The guy then said I should be using higher grain when running a comp on a gun. I have always heard lighter grain with +p loads because the more gas produced allows the comp to work better.
:-? ...Yea...comped guns with lighter rounds require more powder, resulting in more gas which the the compensator uses to reduce their muzzle climb. Just the opposite for us shooting heavy bullets without comps.
Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

The STI open class guns are great but as stated on the STI page: "Please note this pistol is designed to run on Major Power Factor Ammunition". Major power factor 9mm ammo is hot to say the least. For example, a fairly typical 9mm Major load is a 124gr Zero JHP at about 1,370fps. Compare that with Win 124gr 9mm NATO (basically +p) at 1225fps or Underwood 124gr 9mm +p+ which moves at about 1,300fps. The 9mm Major load is moving 70fps faster than 9mm +p+ with the same bullet weight.

Most open division competition shooters want the flattest shooting pistol possible with a light trigger so they often go with light variable power recoil springs, light hammer springs and multi-port comps as well as lightened slides. Just to add another potential wrench in the gears, the highest capacity mags are a bonus on many stages so 170mm mags (actually 171.25mm mags but that is a PITA to say or type repeatedly so everyone just says 170mm) with floating followers are used to get 27 rounds in a mag. Lots of tweaking for a particular load is usually required to get all of that to run smoothly.

Every other division that requires pistols with no comps and shorter mags usually has far fewer headaches when it comes to getting the pistol to run 100% unless you are the kind of OCD nutball that likes to know exactly how far you can push your luck with something like an SFx CO pistol...not that anyone would ever do such a thing :d
C wordLover

Lots of good info, thank you. No plans to do a competition anytime soon, so I’ll stick to the basics
Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

C wordLover wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:11 pm Lots of good info, thank you. No plans to do a competition anytime soon, so I’ll stick to the basics
You should give competition a go. Production division or Carry optics are a blast at local club matches and they do not require a 2nd and possibly 3rd mortgage like open division. Local matches are typically Level 1 matches and are somewhat relaxed other than the safety rules. In addition to being lots of fun, there are usually at least a few master class shooters and you can gets tons of great shooting info from them.
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Weapon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:30 pm Production division
This what I have been shooting. Investment is minimal.

Upgrades to full size M&P were already done. Apex trigger and a couple of spring upgrades.
Speed belt, $50.
Tie-wraps to link two Red-X double-mag holders I already had, nada.
Bullets,OK, small investment. But, I'd be shooting them anyway.
Fun level, OFF THE CHARTS!
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

C wordLover wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:11 pm No plans to do a competition anytime soon...
That's what they all say!!!! :lol:

I agree with [mention]Weapon[/mention]...it's a great way to meet some nice people, and really improve your shooting skills. Everyone is super helpful. Most clubs offer an "Intro" class before your first match and have a 1/2 day practice match with a couple simple stages. Allows you to get comfortable and the ROs to see your gun handling skills in a stage. The local Level 1 matches are pretty low key, but safety is always stressed. That's how I started.

Tell me this isn't fun...

GaCop

I build my long range tactical rifles on the Savage action. Pretty much all tactical shooters turn their collective nose up at Savage action but, I've made a believer out of a number of them with my builds using Bartlein or McGowan Match Select barrels. I like the pre-chambered barrels. I can install and headspace a barrel on one of my Savage actions in about 10 minutes. Sure, BAT or Surgeon actions are some of the best money can buy but, I don't compete in "bench rest" matches and spend 4 grand or more for a rig to compete.
Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 - Dec 67
Bfgloki

My gem of Long range is actually just a Ruger Precision rifle with WSA barrel( only after I shot out the factory barrel) before it was used up I redid headspace on the factory. You would be surprised at what that does for a rifle. Most of my anal retentivness is on reloading for rifle. Brass prep will be the death of me in a zombie apocalypse...just saying. I built a few others off Savage 12FV, Ruger American Predator in 6mm, Howa 1500 in Grendel and 223. I have bedded more rifles in the past year then women in my life it seems.