Laser Bore Sights.

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
runeight
Founding Member #: 198

I’ve been reading reviews and about laser bore sight tools. It’s a good/ not so good subject. I prefer the laser that you chamber versus clip on the end of a barrel or in the muzzle end of the barrel. Then there’s the battery pack, no battery pack option.

Anyone using a laser bore sight and if so your likes, dislikes and recommendations.
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

I use both a laser round and the one that runs down the bore. I check one against the other; they are close and I run the "average" between them.

And they both drive the cats nuts.
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

I've had one for awhile that goes in the end of the barrel. It came with small plastic adapters to accommodate different calibers. It works ok and I can get close, but lately I just use the bullet laser trainer. It doesn't stay on constantly, but I can get it close enough till I get to the range and use a grid target to really dial it in. But as cheap as the laser bore sights are now, I should get one. Last time I checked they were around $10 on Amazon. Down side, have to get one for each caliber. But I usually only change out sights regularly on 9mm and 5.56, so not that big of an expense for me.
LEOJIM

I use the barrel bore sight, it has always been spot on. Even used it to sight in may red dot on the SFX. Sighted in at 15 yrds and spot on at 25yrds..
runeight

LEOJIM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 pm I use the barrel bore sight, it has always been spot on. Even used it to sight in may red dot on the SFX. Sighted in at 15 yrds and spot on at 25yrds..
Muzzle end or chamber style, manufacture.
We are in a civil war..
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

First one I purchased is the type you insert into the end of the barrel. It's magnetized and uses o-rings to adjust for chamber size. Now I use my LaserLyte for all my 9mm guns. Like Janik said, it's a pulse, and with the ShootOff software I can see where it hit the target compared to my POA. Works well!

runeight

Looking at Laserlyte now. I only need a couple, 9mm and 6.5 Creedmore. I’ll stop by my LGS as I know they have some but not sure which calipers. The 6.5 I doubt they have but would think the 9mm they do.

I can finally use the Pistol stand we both bought.
We are in a civil war..
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

runeight wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 am I can finally use the Pistol stand we both bought.
That reminds me... :lol: ...mine is still in the box!
runeight

GlennSFX wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 am
runeight wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 am I can finally use the Pistol stand we both bought.
That reminds me... :lol: ...mine is still in the box!
Mine too!
We are in a civil war..
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I received my LaserLyte (just the bullet, don't yet have any target accessories) last week, and it has really breathed new life into my dry fire practice. Whether I am shooting at various targets that I have up on doors and walls, or at light switches, door knobs, etc., my dry fire practice has been brought to another level.
I do notice that on both my Elite and DA, that somewhere past 3 yards, both guns start to shoot high? When I bring the front sight down to the 6 o'clock, the accuracy returns. Need to try at the range next time out to really make note of distances, and when things start to go off-target.
This is a learning curve for me. I didn't know that sighting could change as distance changes. Seems I'm learning something new every day, which is great.

Neil 8-)
"I fear not the man who's practiced one thousand kicks once, I fear the man who's practiced one kick a thousand times" Bruce Lee
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO/PPITH/PPOTH
runeight

Sound to me like the “bullet” is not snug in the chamber or the laser is not centered. I have read about this problem.
We are in a civil war..
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

When I used it to setup my first red dot, I sighted it in at 10 yards in my living room. I did see some variation at different distances, but chose this distance to set the initial zero because I have a nice 10 yard zero target calibrated for 10 yards. Again, gets you pretty close to then zero at your final distance.

The first time at the range to truly zero the gun, I did have to make adjustments at 10 yards. I then zeroed again at 20 yards and made my initial adjustments based on some ballistics calculations and charts. It got me really close and easy to tweak in.

I got home and wanted to see where my POA vs POI was with the laser now that I zeroed the gun with actual ammo. The POA/POI was dead on at about 12 feet. As I moved back the POI was dropping a little. The laser is not designed to be a precision piece of equipment. It's a training aid and that's how I look at it. I mainly use it with the ShootOff software. The response of the laser hitting the target without a lot of movement, works best right around 10'. For me I'm mainly doing timed holster drills and such on a 8" circle target, or on a more precision target. I'm not looking for distance shooting with the laser.

runeight

Thanks Glenn. That’s what I planned on, 10 yard setup at my LGS. (If they have a 9mm laser)

I saved your link and printed up several of those targets. Haven’t downloaded the program.
We are in a civil war..
GlennSFX
Global Moderator

runeight wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:34 pm Thanks Glenn. That’s what I planned on, 10 yard setup at my LGS. (If they have a 9mm laser)

I saved your link and printed up several of those targets. Haven’t downloaded the program.
The "10 Yard Zero" target makes zeroing the red dot easy! Use it at 20 and divide the adjustment numbers by 2.
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

I've a bunch of the cheap amazon ones that go in the chamber, they're hit or miss on how accurate they really are, I'd suggest if buying one to throw it in something already sighted in to see how accurate it is. If its totally off atleast amazon is easy to get a refund on it.
runeight

TL1000RSquid wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:13 am I've a bunch of the cheap amazon ones that go in the chamber, they're hit or miss on how accurate they really are, I'd suggest if buying one to throw it in something already sighted in to see how accurate it is. If its totally off atleast amazon is easy to get a refund on it.
I’ve pretty much read the same thing.
We are in a civil war..
LEOJIM

runeight wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:26 am
LEOJIM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 pm I use the barrel bore sight, it has always been spot on. Even used it to sight in may red dot on the SFX. Sighted in at 15 yrds and spot on at 25yrds..
Muzzle end or chamber style, manufacture.
Muzzle end.. It was a cheap one that I lucky with off of amazon. Green dot... May have been cheap but it is spot on..
onlyoldiron4me
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 204

If you already have the laser bullet, find the app ITarget, it is free, you basically set your phone up in front of a target, shoot the target, and it records on your phone!
They do have the whole stand that goes with it, but is doable without buying it very easily!