Recoil springs

General Discussion Section for All Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories.
Crosspower

Recoil springs

Post by Crosspower » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:00 am

One day browsing the internet I came across Galloway Precision. I decided to try their 20pd recoil spring guide rod assembly in my SA Mod2 4.0 9mm. You notice immediately the slide is harder to rack. Using cheap ball ammo I found less recoil and quicker follow up shots. The brass still kicks out a good ways and it makes me think I should get a 22pd which they offer.

My P07 seems to have more felt recoil than other 9mms. I found on Cajun Gun Works a 18pd spring and guide rod. This spring isn’t captured and it works yours fingers a little putting it together first time. Now the P07 feels like a softer shooter. It still throws brass the farthest though. I think it could run a 20 or 22.

This all started when I got my 1st Elite. A really soft shooting pistol. Both my Elites toss brass closer than my other pistols. I think their springs are really ideal. My mind thinks a heavier spring will also extend the life of a firearm. Slide velocity is slowed and the impact to the frame reduced. I am really pleased with the heavier springs. I’m gonna look for a heavier spring for the P07 next.
0 x

DWARREN123

Re: Recoil springs

Post by DWARREN123 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Matching the recoil spring/assembly to your firearm and ammo is really a joy. Just seems to make the pistol shoot better.
0 x
Shut up and Reload!

ncjw

Re: Recoil springs

Post by ncjw » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm

We addressed this somewhere before. Canik's are tested to 50K rounds of NATO 124gr. So if after $10K of ammo, another $400 for a new gun is too much, the economics are off (and I'll bet it will go longer than 50K rounds).

So have fun with your spring matching, it can certainly make a difference, but I wouldn't worry about your gun's life.
0 x